Author Topic: History of Speedrunning (Mini Documentary) Idea  (Read 2188 times)

TriforceBrawl3250

• Deku Scrub
History of Speedrunning (Mini Documentary) Idea
« on: August 02, 2016, 10:59:04 AM »

Hey guys,

It's been quite a few years since I've been involved in the speedrunning community as a passive bingo player / Skyward Sword speedrunner. I was recently interested in documenting the history of the OoT speedrunning community, with an emphasis on the key runners and players that shaped the community and game as whole.

I'm aware that there is a spreadsheet/website documenting the various world records throughout OoT's lifespan, but I was hoping to capture the personal aspect that youtube VODs and times don't capture. If anyone here has seen The Smash Brothers (a documentary of the competitive Melee scene), this is the type of story I would try to build.

I was lucky to be active in a time that a lot was going on (end of segmented runs on YouTube and start of RTA through streaming, development of Twitch/SRL, wrong warps in 2012, etc.), but I fear a lot has been lost or undocumented. My own personal knowledge of the early days is vague and there is less documentation, and a lot of the streams that captured exciting personal developments (big races) are gone or extremely hard to locate.

What I am hoping to achieve is a short, mini-documentary of 30-45 minutes that highlights the growth of the community and the key tricks that shaped Any% and the game as a whole from the 6:45 TSA run all the way to present sub 18.

So my questions at the moment are:

1. Is this even the right place to ask anymore? How active are these forums with old/new runners?
2. Are there still enough resources (old VODs, people around in the 2005-2007 era) to pull this off?
3. Is there interest around this project? I would be interested in collaboration/suggestions of any sort.

If anyone has any advice or tips at all, I would definitely love to hear. I think there are a number of great stories hidden away in these forums and old YouTube channels that deserve to be recognized and fleshed out, before it's too late and nobody can remember what the history of this great game is, and all we're left with are numbers and times. I've seen posts of beginners trying to understand where to start, and I think understanding where OoT started could prove useful.

Let me know what you think! I'd appreciate it. I also created a teaser trailer in my beginning efforts to compile videos and information below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNEcs5Vs11k

You can't spell devotion without OoT.

whyieyesya

• Special Guay
Re: History of Speedrunning (Mini Documentary) Idea
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 12:59:48 AM »

1. Is this even the right place to ask anymore? How active are these forums with old/new runners?
If you mean this forum, well, it is pretty dead.

2. Are there still enough resources (old VODs, people around in the 2005-2007 era) to pull this off?
You can use archive.org for some stuff, but I do not think they backup videos. It would be nice if you can still make a list of videos that you cannot find. Maybe someone still has them. I think I have most of TSA's "runs".

I think Narcissa also was planning to make a documentary and did a lot of searching on archive.org. You should probably ask here what she found. I think most of it was pre-SDA.
3. Is there interest around this project? I would be interested in collaboration/suggestions of any sort.
I believe Zellyzel is working on something similar. You might want to ask him what he is covering, so you guys are not doing the same topics.