Author Topic: Tutorial: Using a GameCube Controller on Project64 using MAYFLASH  (Read 13739 times)

Offline Tryst

• Deku Scrub
  • twitch.tv/trystxii
    • Twitch
I recently purchased the MAYFLASH "GameCube Controller Adapter for Wii U & PC USB" (this thing) and had a bit of a struggle getting it to properly work alongside Project64, but I've now got it working and after reading through a load of comments about how it doesn't work at all with Project64 and how that's what you get for buying cheap products (which are both nonsense statements) I figured I'd post here about how to set it all up:

Step-By-Step Guide
  • Plug the MAYFLASH adapter into your PC (the black USB) and connect your GameCube controller to it.
  • Open Project64.
  • Open Options -> Settings.
  • Go to the Plugins tab (which should open by default).
    • Set the Controller plugin to use any N-Rage Direct Input8 v2 release > 1.8.0 (not the 2.3 version which isn't the same thing).
      (See the How can I get the N-Rage Direct Input8 v2 plugin? section below if you don't have this.)
  • Go to Options -> Configure Controller Plugin...
  • Go to the Controller Pak tab.
    • Uncheck Raw Data.
    • Set the Controller Pak to None.
  • Go to the Controls tab.
    • Make sure Plugged is checked.
    • Set up the controls by clicking on each Control and pressing the relevant GameCube controller button.
    • Set the Analog Range to 100%.
    • For the L and R buttons, begin by holding down the L or R button on the GameCube controller as far as it goes before it presses in, then click on the Control and press the button in (this will make it register both holding it down and pressing it as the same action).
    • You may want to map Z to L instead as the Z button on the GameCube controller is next to the R button.
    • You may also want to map L to Z to allow for things like the levitation cheat.

How can I get the N-Rage Direct Input8 v2 plugin?

Common Problems
  • A button isn't doing what it should.
    Make sure you have it mapped to the correct input.

• The C-Stick isn't working at all.
    Make sure you're using the N-Rage Direct Input8 v2 controller plugin. All the others seem to have issues mapping the C-Stick correctly.

• The L and R buttons have to be held all the way down before they do anything.
    As above, make sure you're using the N-Rage Direct Input8 v2 controller plugin. All the others seem to have issues mapping the L and R buttons correctly.

• The L and R buttons do nothing when not held down all the way.
    As above, make sure you're using the N-Rage Direct Input8 v2 controller plugin. See the note in part 7.4 of the Step-By-Step Guide section above.

• Things are happening without me touching the controller
    Firstly check to make sure everything is mapped correctly.
    After that, go back into the controller plugin's options and go to the Devices tab. Adjust the GamePad Deadzone until things work as intended.