ZSR Forums
April 27, 2024, 01:41:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Ocarina of Time Japanese Version Discoveries  (Read 31451 times)
aleckermit
Mega Guay

back in green

WWW Email
« on: January 17, 2010, 11:39:20 PM »

EDIT: Apparently there are 3 versions of Japanese OoT just like North American's version. They call the last 2 versions "Revision A" and "Revision B" which are the same as 1.1 and 1.2.

I was curious as to which version OoT NTSC-J is (there's 3 Japanese versions, just like ours), so i played the "non-revised" version and it turns out that it is exactly the same as NTSC v1.0 aside from the N64 startup logo being the "non-shiny" version.

"The rod steal off of the rock", Islamic Fire Temple music, crescent moon symbols, and Red Blood all are there.

The text is also considerably faster than the North American versions, the text characters are very large and very few.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 04:49:55 AM by aleckermit » Logged

http://youtube.com/aleckermit

<@Swordless> Have you had this problem before? A game not starting until you cleaned it?
UchihaSasuke
Special Guay

move over Chidori, time to spam infinite Susano'o

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 11:48:14 PM »

that's good to know.

i'll test the japanese language version of the OoT/MQ GC disc to see if it is identical just in case because it could be an easier way to obtain the JP version for us (just load the jp version with AR from your current disc)
now that i look back, i didn't reach any of the areas with edited stuff when i played it earlier....

edit: tough luck. the jp language version has the same stuff as the eng language version.

someone should get a real jp bonus disc or jp VC download to see if they're really v1.0 or v1.2
the reason there's only v1.0 on n64 in japan could be that the first print was the only one over there, unlike other areas.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 12:44:24 AM by UchihaSasuke » Logged

"Patience is useful in any moment"

Youtube Account 1
Youtube Account 2
aleckermit
Mega Guay

back in green

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 04:00:36 AM »

The text speed difference is ABSOLUTELY INSANE between English and Japanese:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atCLqVMsAxc

<@Swordless> Have you had this problem before? A game not starting until you cleaned it?
Runnerguy2489
Special Guay

I'm not your buddy, guay!

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 04:13:51 AM »

IMO there's nothing wrong with using it, but it'd be pretty gay if you beat someone JUST by using a different language.
This, and it's why I'll continue on the US V1.0.
Sums up my thoughts on Japanese version.

Also:
Quote from: aleckermit
The difference is a massive 1 minute 4 seconds out of less than 3 minutes 30 seconds of gameplay cutscenes.
Big difference.

runnerguy your such a mother fucker. whats with all this bombchu shit? all everyone who likes this shit is stupid. ur a fucking cheater. u did that the wrong way, thats not how to get past the king zora u cheater. u suck and i wont continue watching all ur shit! videos.
aleckermit
Mega Guay

back in green

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 04:19:56 AM »

I'm not asking you to run out and get the Japanese version, trust me Runnerguy ;P. But I believe it should have it's own category at least, a Japanese TAS of OoT would be interesting because you could see the lowest possible time that OoT can be beat in. Japanese non-TAS seems a bit pointless unless categorized seperately or if only gameplay counted towards total time.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 06:05:04 AM by aleckermit » Logged

Zero
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 07:05:27 AM »

I've been hunting for a Zelda Ocarina of Time JPN VC. None are dumped/released as of now.
Yuggles
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 10:16:20 PM »

Do the Japanese have their own speedrunning site or anything?
AkiGrahamShitatsuchi
Regular Guay

Ner, just, Ner

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 10:35:37 PM »

If it's faster than the other versions, than wouldn't it be, unfair, for the people that use other versions in speedruns and impromptus? I vote for it's own category.

Haters gonna hate.
Blizz:
So we wuz playin zelda 1 and Gannon wuz all "Rawr I stole ur prinzess and cut your magic triangle into 8 segments cuz i am a meaniepants" so then i wuz like "ok lol i'll see you in 45 minutez"
RingRush
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 10:56:52 PM »

The agreement among all speedrunning communities I know of is to just ignore the gains from the Japanese version in cutscenes, and look at the time of the actual run itself. If this means accepting a 59:48 english run over a 57:12 japanese run, so be it.

ded
ING-X
Site Editor
Mega Guay

fuck you and the horse you rode in on

562243965 marikthechao@hotmail.com ingx24
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 11:05:19 PM »

I personally think it'd make more sense to just make it a separate category. accepting a 59:48 english run over a 57:12 japanese run or whatever just seems weird to me.

Quick, someone go find an actual gameplay difference between the English and Japanese versions so SDA has to make it a separate category Tongue

<complex> byan you're doing that thing again
<complex> the thing where everything you say is fucking retarded

<ethandude> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexual cheak this out luxury it might come in helpful when u wright your resime
Runnerguy2489
Special Guay

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 12:36:04 AM »

Alright so, people are pushing me to do this so apparently this is the thing to do now and SDA would take the final time of the Japanese version. It's going to be like near 55 or something crazy like that. The main point is, it's sub 1 and it's as fast as it could possibly be. But I'm not going to go out and find this thing and buy it. So Maxx, if you really do want to ship me your version out, I'll do the run and ship it back (don't expect it back for a while though, lol). Or if someone wants to find one somehow, buy it and send it to me like Jiano with the Wii, then I'll start a run on it.

Run is on hold at the moment too.

runnerguy your such a mother fucker. whats with all this bombchu shit? all everyone who likes this shit is stupid. ur a fucking cheater. u did that the wrong way, thats not how to get past the king zora u cheater. u suck and i wont continue watching all ur shit! videos.
aleckermit
Mega Guay

back in green

WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 03:41:30 AM »

Alright so, people are pushing me to do this so apparently this is the thing to do now and SDA would take the final time of the Japanese version. It's going to be like near 55 or something crazy like that. The main point is, it's sub 1 and it's as fast as it could possibly be. But I'm not going to go out and find this thing and buy it. So Maxx, if you really do want to ship me your version out, I'll do the run and ship it back (don't expect it back for a while though, lol). Or if someone wants to find one somehow, buy it and send it to me like Jiano with the Wii, then I'll start a run on it.

Run is on hold at the moment too.

Dude are you serious? Your run is going really well. You actually contacted SDA and they said that they'd take to Japanese total time? Surely they'd categorize it under Japanese version...

I am buying Japanese OoT tommorow just to have it, I could lend it to you for your run if I have to...

You're so far into your run... is a few minutes off of the time really worth it to you? Plus the text is unreadable to viewers. I was mainly pushing that the Japanese version should be TASed over English... not Non-Tas.

It's your decision though, I'll be glad to lend you the game.

PS: You have to open up your N64 and remove the dust guard in order for the game to fit.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 03:46:24 AM by aleckermit » Logged

UchihaSasuke
Special Guay

move over Chidori, time to spam infinite Susano'o

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 06:53:55 AM »

not necessarily. he could instead open the cart and swap the backside with some cart he doesn't want and has lying around unused (if he has a useless game like that)

i did that when i imported some games since i had a few games i was never going to play again and it takes way more time to open the 64.

"Patience is useful in any moment"

Youtube Account 1
Youtube Account 2
ING-X
Site Editor
Mega Guay

fuck you and the horse you rode in on

562243965 marikthechao@hotmail.com ingx24
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 12:24:22 PM »

Dude are you serious? Your run is going really well. You actually contacted SDA and they said that they'd take to Japanese total time? Surely they'd categorize it under Japanese version...

Unfortunately, even if we did a sub-1 run on the japanese version and someone else does better gameplay-wise on the english version but doesn't beat 1 hour, the world record will no longer be sub-1. That's why i think this ruling is guay, and that japanese version should be a separate category. Of course the best thing to do would be to find a route difference caused by shorter cutscenes, in which case it'd have to be a separate category.

<complex> byan you're doing that thing again
<complex> the thing where everything you say is fucking retarded

<ethandude> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexual cheak this out luxury it might come in helpful when u wright your resime
Runnerguy2489
Special Guay

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 02:48:27 PM »

I don't want it to be a separate category and have Manocheese's run still up on the site. If it's separate category there's really no reason to switch over.

Also, I'm still not set to switch since I've gotten quite a few opinions both ways now, and it seems to be a complicated issue for not just me as the runner but for a lot of people about how to go about it and the timing issues, etc. I may still try and continue my run or look right now to seeing what can be improved in the first 6 segments, since it's clear I'm going to have to squeeze seconds no matter what.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: