ZSR Forums
April 19, 2024, 06:12:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New to the forums. Looking for some advice.  (Read 4396 times)
dkplayaclub
Deku Scrub

« on: October 15, 2015, 12:39:53 AM »

Hello fellow Zelda fans. I am completely new to speed runs, although OoT is probably my favorite game of all time and I have beaten it, playing "normally" dozens of times. I was recently introduces to speed runs through watching Twitch streams and thought it would be a lot of fun to get into. So before I begin, I want to get some basic questions answered from people who know more than I do.
I currently don't have a working N64, so I decided that for the time being I would softmod my Wii and use that to get back into the game before I go and buy more equipment.

So, here are my questions.
1) Through VC, I can only get the US version of OoT. I want to begin with the Japanese version, as it seems to be the standard version used for speed runs. I am guessing this is due to the dialogues being shorter, but there might be other considerations. How can I get the Japanese version to run on my Wii?

2) Between version 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2, which version is recommended? I have been told they are all good for different categories of speed run. I plan on using glitches and doing 100% runs.

3) Other than any mods or installers I need to get the appropriate version running, are there any other tools I should get in order to make practicing/learning more productive?

Can't wait for your responses, and thank you in advance to anyone willing to take the time to read this and reply. I have read a few posts regarding these issues, but figured I would start fresh, especially since the posts I read were old and may be out of date.
whyieyesya
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 12:54:43 PM »

2) Between version 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2, which version is recommended? I have been told they are all good for different categories of speed run. I plan on using glitches and doing 100% runs.
1.0 is best for 100%. It only exists for N64, so you would have to play on that for runs. It is possible to inject 1.0 into VC, but that is not allowed for speedrunning.

1) Through VC, I can only get the US version of OoT. I want to begin with the Japanese version, as it seems to be the standard version used for speed runs. I am guessing this is due to the dialogues being shorter, but there might be other considerations. How can I get the Japanese version to run on my Wii?
If your Wii is softmodded, you need to install the WAD of the Japanese version. I think you also need to make it region free.
Amateseru
Regular Guay

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 01:50:54 PM »

If you have US Wii you'll need to hack your wii to use jp wad, also, I'm not using VC but I think player use gecko to use cheat and train easily.

About the version for running OoT 100%, the best of all is 1.1 on jp N64. If you're on VC you have no choice but to run on 1.2 (unless you absolutely don't care about zsr ladder, after all Twitch or You Tube won't remove your video if it's VC 1.1)
scaramanga
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 09:10:31 PM »

Have a look at these threads:

http://forums.zeldaspeedruns.com/index.php?topic=1271.0 (JP version)
http://forums.zeldaspeedruns.com/index.php?topic=1773.0 (Cheat codes)

The download links probably won't work. As we don't post WADs in this forum anymore, you'll have to find it yourself, which isn't very hard for OoT.

You should note that some glitches are fixed in version 1.2. Therefore you can't use the N64 route. If you can't find the VC route, asking around in the #zelde IRC-channel would be your best option.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 09:14:43 PM by scaramanga » Logged
dkplayaclub
Deku Scrub

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 12:05:36 AM »

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I was able to get the Japanes .wad running on my wii. It's v1.2, but for beginner purposes I am guessing that will be fine. I also found a US version of v1.0, so I can use that for practicing as well.
Am I correct in assuming there is no v1.0 in Japanese? In that case, I assume the time saved with the dialogues and such outweigh the benefits of using v1.0 US version. Is that a fair assumption?

I will be starting very soon with the setup I've been able to get together, but for the future I should be looking into getting a N64 and a Japanese v1.1 cart?
scaramanga
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 10:09:33 AM »

There is a JP 1.0. But as stated above only on N64. (http://zeldaspeedruns.com/oot/generalknowledge/version-differences)

You can practice almost the whole 1.0/1.1 route on 1.2 as there is only one glitch missing (correct me, if I'm wrong). The cheat codes only work with the Japanese version and there should be routes for 1.2 for every category, so you should be good to go.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: