ZSR Forums
March 29, 2024, 05:41:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66]
  Print  
Author Topic: OoT / MQ Trick Research & Discovery Thread  (Read 1242597 times)
mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« Reply #975 on: December 03, 2015, 07:25:06 AM »

Really obscure bug time:

This is something I've known for quite some time, but have only recently understood some of the implications of it.

At address 8000 0000, there is a short routine that is used to jump to an exception handler. I don't know if the exception handler is ever called, but from what was explained to me it is jumped to whenever a bad 32 bit address is hit, and that potentially this could be hit if an issue came up when rendering graphics.

Now, when spawning into pre-rendered scenes, the game will sometimes? overwrite the data at 8000 0000 in at least NTSC 1.0 and NTSC 1.2, ruining the code that jumps to the game's exception handler. However, from some limited testing on Master Quest PAL, I've noticed that this address doesn't seem to be written to anymore.

This has got me wondering, because potentially there could be a non-fatal exception thrown that forces the game to execute code at 8000 0000, but crash due to the corrupt code.

Quote from:  Leigh Rogers
Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.
Jbop
Twenty-three is number one! Do you think I'm a traitor?

« Reply #976 on: December 03, 2015, 09:27:49 PM »

Nice one Chain

Quote from:  ZFG on March 24, 2008, 8:27:24 AM
Quote from:  Prognosis_4 on March 24, 2008, 8:25:50 AM
Why are you guys so certain it's possible?
Because its OoT.
mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« Reply #977 on: October 14, 2019, 12:21:28 AM »

Boomerang Displacement: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qHHEqH26KxNC3HIYztA1SeP0ReDK24hnX8oP-DmtkSE/edit

Quote from:  Leigh Rogers
Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66]
  Print  

Jump to: