ZSR Forums
March 28, 2024, 06:43:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Improvements, suggestions, etc.  (Read 77802 times)
Maxx
Admin
Special Guay

« Reply #105 on: May 06, 2013, 07:48:03 PM »

Happy Halloween
Pheenoh
Site Editor
Special Guay

Locked in cafde's basement

Email
« Reply #106 on: May 07, 2013, 06:08:48 AM »

I think Merry Christmas would have been more appropriate at this point

<yashichidsf> tompa should default be a mod on everything related to srl
<yashichidsf> while i'm not a big fan of modding bots, i think tompa is really well programmed
PresJPolk
Deku Scrub

WWW Email
« Reply #107 on: May 07, 2013, 01:09:51 PM »

Congratulations on the site rework.

I'm going to make a suggestion on Zelda 2 boards, though.  I know for some games, the differences between the Japanese and US releases are minor.  That is *not* the case with the difference between the FDS and NES versions of Zelda 2.  Zelda 2 US and Japan.  Japanese categories should be separate categories.

There are *major* differences. The leveling system is different.  The experience awards are different. The mid bosses and palace bosses differ. Any% and NG+ palace routing is also very different, due to differences in how items are picked up in game.  It's really a different game, as it wasn't just ported from FDS to NES. They changed a ton.

It's not like some games where you can just adjust for text differences, and you might be missing a glitch or two.   Japanese times just aren't comparable with US times.  In fact, while for 100% AK the Japanese version should be faster, the US version is going to be faster for most other categories. So it's not even a direct comparison that way!

Also, you're missing NG+, NG+ Glitch, and Any% Glitch, basically, the three categories I personally run Smiley

Just some Zelda 2 suggestions.  And again, congratulations on the new site designs.

TheWayfaringFox
Site Editor
Special Guay

« Reply #108 on: May 07, 2013, 10:41:59 PM »

The dungeon strategies and new game + section for oot3d was lost somehow.
mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« Reply #109 on: May 08, 2013, 03:58:08 AM »

Not lost, just glitch in the system. Should be fixed.

Quote from:  Leigh Rogers
Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.
Cranson
Site Editor
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #110 on: May 10, 2013, 08:39:04 AM »

First off, I wanted to say thanks so much for the site update.  It looks great!  Just one nitpicky thing.  For Link's Awakening, you have 100% listed in the b&w version, but not the DX version, but the standard version to run 100% on is the DX version, because it has an extra dungeon, and an entire extra sidequest.  So if you could just move the 100% leaderboards over to DX instead of b&w, that would be perfect.  Again, that's me being super nitpicky, thanks again for the great work!  Cheesy
CloudMax
Site Editor
Mega Guay

« Reply #111 on: May 11, 2013, 08:50:08 AM »

It appears that editors have to re-apply now that the update has gone live, so I don't know if these features has been added or not.

But about a year ago in the IRC I discussed about the possibility of having nested sections in the navigation menu, and I believe it still hasn't been added. Or maybe it was decided that it wasn't a necessary feature.
Take this page as an example:
http://zeldaspeedruns.com/oot3d/area/gerudo-desert
It would be cleaner with a nested navigation menu that looked something like this:
Code:
Enter Gerudo Fortress as a Child
Get past the Wooden Gate as a Child
Megaflip Method
Unloaded Method
Reach the Ice Arrows without any keys
Crossing the quicksand
or possibly
Code:
Gerudo Valley
Enter Gerudo Fortress as a Child
Gerudo's Fortress
Get past the Wooden Gate as a Child
Megaflip Method
Unloaded Method
Gerudo Training Grounds
Reach the Ice Arrows without any keys
Haunted Wasteland
Crossing the quicksand

This way the navigation menu is easier to use, and it is clear that the "megaflip method" is a method for getting past the wooden gate.
Another solution would be to add an official syntax for methods, and have it be displayed in the nav menu in such a manner that it is clear that they are methods of a specific trick.

It's also worth mentioning that the triforce font doesn't have a percent/% symbol, it displays a picture of link. So pages with titles such as any% look weird.

And the site doesn't seem to have a footer with any copyright or contact information. That may have been on purpose though.

And it is still missing a favicon.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 08:55:29 AM by CloudMax » Logged

Pedalpowertoast
Site Editor
Mega Guay

I'm an artist :O

« Reply #112 on: May 11, 2013, 04:09:56 PM »

I think the old version actually allowed to do that, but now it looks like this
http://zeldaspeedruns.com/oot3d/dungeon-strats/fire-temple
Now the methods are left instead.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Pedalpowerluigi

Using a slow version on purpose is your choice, but you will get no sympathy or agreement from me.
Lol
CloudMax
Site Editor
Mega Guay

« Reply #113 on: May 16, 2013, 07:11:18 PM »

I think the old version actually allowed to do that, but now it looks like this
http://zeldaspeedruns.com/oot3d/dungeon-strats/fire-temple
Now the methods are left instead.

I had something like this in mind:
http://imgur.com/a/odWG8
These screenshots were taken with a script I created for Tampermonkey(chrome)/Greasemonkey(firefox)
It nests any h1/h2/h3 (up until the specified header level) to the first header tag located above it that has a lower level.
List items with a nested list are displayed with a yellow triforce symbol.
You can toggle the nested lists by clicking on the yellow symbols.
I've made it so that if the page lack a h1, it puts all h2 within an item that goes by the pages name.
And a lot more.

Here's the script: (added comments to pretty much the entire code so that anyone can understand what's going on)
http://pastebin.com/8SmkPu5P
Run it after the original code has loaded to overwrite the Navi Menu with mine.

It is a relatively simple code, but it helps me to navigate.

I think it is a great improvement to the navi menu myself, and that's why I made it to begin with.
It looks good on most pages, but there are a few out there with a rather odd header format, like this one: http://zeldaspeedruns.com/ss/area/eldin-volcano
I assume the reason they have such weird layouts is because they wanted specific headers to be displayed in the Navi Menu. A nested menu would solve that though, making such layouts unnecessary.

Edit: Added some major updates to the script.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 09:43:30 AM by CloudMax » Logged

doommaker
Special Guay

The DoomJump....The most hated name of all time.

« Reply #114 on: May 27, 2013, 02:47:01 PM »

NAVIgation...that's clever..
Sluse
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #115 on: March 12, 2014, 02:01:19 AM »

Does the site need any backend developers? Looks like it could use some maintenance.  Lips sealed
KingOfHeart
Special Guay

« Reply #116 on: March 14, 2014, 04:44:25 PM »

Uh, any reason why there's no link to the forums on the main page?
Njordr
Deku Scrub

God of the Winds and Seas

WWW Email
« Reply #117 on: March 24, 2014, 07:02:36 PM »

I can see the link to the forums at the top of the site, no issues.

Are there no speedruns/strats pages for Zelda and Zelda II?

mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« Reply #118 on: March 25, 2014, 08:26:20 AM »

http://www.zeldaspeedruns.com/loz
http://www.zeldaspeedruns.com/aol

There is a lot of work needed to be put into these sites for them to be listed on the drop down though

Quote from:  Leigh Rogers
Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.
Tryst
Deku Scrub

WWW Email
« Reply #119 on: November 22, 2014, 01:14:43 AM »

Could mini-games be added to the speed running categories?
I'm not sure which games have mini-games within them, but A Link Between Worlds is fairly popular on Cyberscore (link) and I'd love to be able to submit my own times here as well. After all this is Zelda and these are speed runs!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
  Print  

Jump to: