Author Topic: Improvements, suggestions, etc.  (Read 68050 times)

Offline Norkix

• Special Guay
Re: Improvements, suggestions, etc.
« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2012, 12:53:32 PM »
Could someone please update the OoT 3d page? I'm getting tired of browsing through 16 pages for one specific trick. Also, there are several tricks with no description, and that needs to be fixed as well.
11:17 <Cosmo>: It's hard to tell what ASAP means with todays sequence breaks

Offline Groove Heaven

• Deku Scrub
« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2012, 12:19:54 PM »
Do you guys think ZSR could benefit from having sections covering the mini-boss and boss fights in these games? Having trouble with bosses like Phantom Ganon, Goht, and one-cycling Dead Hand. The dungeon strategies don't cover the fights, which are an important part of running, and some strats are less than obvious, especially things like one-cycling Twinrova and Phantom.

Offline mzxrules

• Mega Guay
  • Wrong warp expert
« Reply #82 on: July 09, 2012, 09:54:05 AM »
A boss strategy page would be a nice thing to add. We just need someone to write one up.
Quote from:  Leigh Rogers
Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.

Offline Nook

• Special Guay
« Reply #83 on: July 09, 2012, 11:16:47 AM »
The Wind Waker pages have seen better days, I'd be happy to write information if somebody with the ability would put it into the page for me.

Offline Groove Heaven

• Deku Scrub
« Reply #84 on: July 09, 2012, 01:22:41 PM »
A boss strategy page would be a nice thing to add. We just need someone to write one up.

I could contribute some of the boss strats that I do understand, and I would be more than happy to do so. The ones I would need someone else to write for OoT are:

Phantom Ganon (with the arrow trick and one-cycle)
The spin-slash method for Gohma (I just ISG, could never get the spin to work right)
Twinrova
Dead Hand one-cycle (I've done it but I usually just feel it out. I'm sure there are reliable methods worked out)

I would be no help in any of the other games, I'm bad at MM/WW/TP. I mean, I'm bad at OoT, but I'm really bad at the other games.

Offline Abahbob

• Site Editor
  • Special Guay
  • I make videos of games that are done very fast.
« Reply #85 on: July 11, 2012, 07:52:04 AM »
The Wind Waker pages have seen better days, I'd be happy to write information if somebody with the ability would put it into the page for me.

I'd be happy to do it. I cleaned it up a little a couple weeks ago, but it could use some extra help.

Offline doommaker

• Special Guay
  • The DoomJump....The most hated name of all time.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/doommaker10000
« Reply #86 on: August 31, 2012, 07:32:34 PM »
I'm sure some one has said this before but we should have an app.....;D

Offline HiipFire

• Regular Guay
« Reply #87 on: September 01, 2012, 09:13:53 AM »
I'm sure some one has said this before but we should have an app.....;D
wat

Offline mzxrules

• Mega Guay
  • Wrong warp expert
« Reply #88 on: September 01, 2012, 06:28:59 PM »
What kind of app
Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.

Offline Pheenoh

• Site Editor
  • Special Guay
  • Locked in cafde's basement
« Reply #89 on: September 01, 2012, 08:41:35 PM »
What kind of app
We need an app for the "Post your pic" thread only. It auto loads those pictures and allows you to draw fake mustaches on everyone.
<yashichidsf> tompa should default be a mod on everything related to srl
<yashichidsf> while i'm not a big fan of modding bots, i think tompa is really well programmed

Offline Nook

• Special Guay
« Reply #90 on: September 01, 2012, 10:55:36 PM »
We need an app for the "Post your pic" thread only. It auto loads those pictures and allows you to draw fake mustaches on everyone.
and you can give people scene hair

Offline doommaker

• Special Guay
« Reply #91 on: September 02, 2012, 02:20:50 PM »
PERFECT!!!

But seriously I meant like an app with the all the Zelda game glitches and techniques and stuff....basically a mobile version of the front page xD

Offline Norkix

• Special Guay
« Reply #92 on: September 02, 2012, 06:16:02 PM »
I don't think Apple or Android will endorse a ZSR app... Then again, I may be wrong. iPhone claims to have an app for just about everything. A ZSR app would add more to "just about everything" than the shitty twitch app and an app that has a complete collection of every sound file in every Zelda game (my brother has the latter, I forget what it's called).
11:17 <Cosmo>: It's hard to tell what ASAP means with todays sequence breaks

Offline Abahbob

• Site Editor
  • Special Guay
« Reply #93 on: September 08, 2012, 02:56:00 PM »
I'm sure Apple would accept a ZSR app. There's strange apps. It all depends on the scheme of ZSR and all that junk. I don't remember much about making iOS apps, but a ZSR app for just the pages doesn't seem too hard to make if you know how. I guess it could also include the forums, but still. I personally wouldn't mind a ZSR app. Mainly for the forums though. If you don't mind waiting a year and a half, I'm gonna take the mobile app design class at my school next year. (Yes, we have Mobile App Design, Video Game Design, CS, and AP CS)

Offline doommaker

• Special Guay
« Reply #94 on: September 12, 2012, 04:06:27 AM »
I'm sure Apple would accept a ZSR app. There's strange apps. It all depends on the scheme of ZSR and all that junk. I don't remember much about making iOS apps, but a ZSR app for just the pages doesn't seem too hard to make if you know how. I guess it could also include the forums, but still. I personally wouldn't mind a ZSR app. Mainly for the forums though. If you don't mind waiting a year and a half, I'm gonna take the mobile app design class at my school next year. (Yes, we have Mobile App Design, Video Game Design, CS, and AP CS)

Awesome ;D!

Offline Czar_Yoshi

• Regular Guay
« Reply #95 on: October 01, 2012, 08:34:08 PM »

I spend a lot of time working on OoT (3d) mini-bosses, and could help with them. How would you want it submitted though?

Offline Nook

• Special Guay
« Reply #96 on: October 05, 2012, 07:30:42 PM »
It looks like we need some TWW videos, is Dolphin running at 100% okay for them?

Offline Abahbob

• Site Editor
  • Special Guay
« Reply #97 on: October 06, 2012, 05:17:51 PM »
It looks like we need some TWW videos, is Dolphin running at 100% okay for them?

I would recommend using frame dump and audio dump. I could make them if need be.

Offline mzxrules

• Mega Guay
  • Wrong warp expert
« Reply #98 on: October 06, 2012, 08:29:52 PM »
I spend a lot of time working on OoT (3d) mini-bosses, and could help with them. How would you want it submitted though?

I think the best way would be to create a thread on the OoT 3D boards, just in case you forget something important.
Braid

Offline Nook

• Special Guay
« Reply #99 on: October 19, 2012, 06:55:27 PM »
Is the new site look still being worked on?

Offline mzxrules

• Mega Guay
  • Wrong warp expert
« Reply #100 on: October 19, 2012, 11:21:36 PM »
Last I talked to maxx about it, he mentioned that it'll be launched close to Holloween.
Braid

Offline Nook

• Special Guay
« Reply #101 on: February 09, 2013, 08:29:07 AM »
Last I talked to maxx about it, he mentioned that it'll be launched close to Holloween.
Happy Halloween

Offline Pheenoh

• Site Editor
  • Special Guay
« Reply #102 on: February 09, 2013, 04:16:27 PM »
<yashichidsf> while i'm not a big fan of modding bots, i think tompa is really well programmed

Offline Cranson

• Site Editor
  • Deku Scrub
« Reply #103 on: February 09, 2013, 11:33:02 PM »
I have a quick suggestion about the leaderboards for Link's Awakening.  I think there should be a split in the any% between the DX version of the game, and the original version, considering the original version has a very large number of text skips that aren't available in the DX version.  Or, at the very least, make a pull down option to denote whether it's original or DX (like the English/Japanese version difference) to make it more organized. 

Also, the 100% board for LA haven't worked in quite some time.  I know there are several people (myself included) interested in running the game 100%, so it would be awesome if the 100% board could get up and running sometime soon.

Thanks!

Offline Cranson

• Site Editor
  • Deku Scrub
« Reply #104 on: March 18, 2013, 08:31:18 AM »
^Just a quick bump for that post.  Split Link's Awakening Any% into S+Q and no S+Q, and fix the 100% leaderboards so it'll actually work.  Pretty please, with sugar on top?  :P

Offline maxx

• Special Guay
« Reply #105 on: May 06, 2013, 11:48:03 AM »
Happy Halloween

Offline Pheenoh

• Site Editor
  • Special Guay
« Reply #106 on: May 06, 2013, 10:08:48 PM »
I think Merry Christmas would have been more appropriate at this point

Offline PresJPolk

• Deku Scrub
    • Twitch account
« Reply #107 on: May 07, 2013, 05:09:51 AM »
Congratulations on the site rework.

I'm going to make a suggestion on Zelda 2 boards, though.  I know for some games, the differences between the Japanese and US releases are minor.  That is *not* the case with the difference between the FDS and NES versions of Zelda 2.  Zelda 2 US and Japan.  Japanese categories should be separate categories.

There are *major* differences. The leveling system is different.  The experience awards are different. The mid bosses and palace bosses differ. Any% and NG+ palace routing is also very different, due to differences in how items are picked up in game.  It's really a different game, as it wasn't just ported from FDS to NES. They changed a ton.

It's not like some games where you can just adjust for text differences, and you might be missing a glitch or two.   Japanese times just aren't comparable with US times.  In fact, while for 100% AK the Japanese version should be faster, the US version is going to be faster for most other categories. So it's not even a direct comparison that way!

Also, you're missing NG+, NG+ Glitch, and Any% Glitch, basically, the three categories I personally run :)

Just some Zelda 2 suggestions.  And again, congratulations on the new site designs.

Offline TheWayfaringFox

• Site Editor
  • Special Guay
« Reply #108 on: May 07, 2013, 02:41:59 PM »
The dungeon strategies and new game + section for oot3d was lost somehow.

Offline mzxrules

• Mega Guay
  • Wrong warp expert
« Reply #109 on: May 07, 2013, 07:58:08 PM »
Not lost, just glitch in the system. Should be fixed.
Braid

Offline Cranson

• Site Editor
  • Deku Scrub
« Reply #110 on: May 10, 2013, 12:39:04 AM »
First off, I wanted to say thanks so much for the site update.  It looks great!  Just one nitpicky thing.  For Link's Awakening, you have 100% listed in the b&w version, but not the DX version, but the standard version to run 100% on is the DX version, because it has an extra dungeon, and an entire extra sidequest.  So if you could just move the 100% leaderboards over to DX instead of b&w, that would be perfect.  Again, that's me being super nitpicky, thanks again for the great work!  :D

Offline CloudMax

• Site Editor
  • Mega Guay
    • CloudModding
« Reply #111 on: May 11, 2013, 12:50:08 AM »
It appears that editors have to re-apply now that the update has gone live, so I don't know if these features has been added or not.

But about a year ago in the IRC I discussed about the possibility of having nested sections in the navigation menu, and I believe it still hasn't been added. Or maybe it was decided that it wasn't a necessary feature.
Take this page as an example:
http://zeldaspeedruns.com/oot3d/area/gerudo-desert
It would be cleaner with a nested navigation menu that looked something like this:
Code: [Select]
Enter Gerudo Fortress as a Child
Get past the Wooden Gate as a Child
Megaflip Method
Unloaded Method
Reach the Ice Arrows without any keys
Crossing the quicksand
or possibly
Code: [Select]
Gerudo Valley
Enter Gerudo Fortress as a Child
Gerudo's Fortress
Get past the Wooden Gate as a Child
Megaflip Method
Unloaded Method
Gerudo Training Grounds
Reach the Ice Arrows without any keys
Haunted Wasteland
Crossing the quicksand

This way the navigation menu is easier to use, and it is clear that the "megaflip method" is a method for getting past the wooden gate.
Another solution would be to add an official syntax for methods, and have it be displayed in the nav menu in such a manner that it is clear that they are methods of a specific trick.

It's also worth mentioning that the triforce font doesn't have a percent/% symbol, it displays a picture of link. So pages with titles such as any% look weird.

And the site doesn't seem to have a footer with any copyright or contact information. That may have been on purpose though.

And it is still missing a favicon.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 12:55:29 AM by CloudMax »

Offline Pedalpowertoast

• Site Editor
  • Mega Guay
  • I'm an artist :O
« Reply #112 on: May 11, 2013, 08:09:56 AM »
I think the old version actually allowed to do that, but now it looks like this
http://zeldaspeedruns.com/oot3d/dungeon-strats/fire-temple
Now the methods are left instead.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Pedalpowerluigi

Using a slow version on purpose is your choice, but you will get no sympathy or agreement from me.
Lol

Offline CloudMax

• Site Editor
  • Mega Guay
    • CloudModding
« Reply #113 on: May 16, 2013, 11:11:18 AM »
I think the old version actually allowed to do that, but now it looks like this
http://zeldaspeedruns.com/oot3d/dungeon-strats/fire-temple
Now the methods are left instead.

I had something like this in mind:
http://imgur.com/a/odWG8
These screenshots were taken with a script I created for Tampermonkey(chrome)/Greasemonkey(firefox)
It nests any h1/h2/h3 (up until the specified header level) to the first header tag located above it that has a lower level.
List items with a nested list are displayed with a yellow triforce symbol.
You can toggle the nested lists by clicking on the yellow symbols.
I've made it so that if the page lack a h1, it puts all h2 within an item that goes by the pages name.
And a lot more.

Here's the script: (added comments to pretty much the entire code so that anyone can understand what's going on)
http://pastebin.com/8SmkPu5P
Run it after the original code has loaded to overwrite the Navi Menu with mine.

It is a relatively simple code, but it helps me to navigate.

I think it is a great improvement to the navi menu myself, and that's why I made it to begin with.
It looks good on most pages, but there are a few out there with a rather odd header format, like this one: http://zeldaspeedruns.com/ss/area/eldin-volcano
I assume the reason they have such weird layouts is because they wanted specific headers to be displayed in the Navi Menu. A nested menu would solve that though, making such layouts unnecessary.

Edit: Added some major updates to the script.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 01:43:30 AM by CloudMax »

Offline doommaker

• Special Guay
« Reply #114 on: May 27, 2013, 06:47:01 AM »
NAVIgation...that's clever..

Offline Sluse

• Deku Scrub
« Reply #115 on: March 11, 2014, 06:01:19 PM »
Does the site need any backend developers? Looks like it could use some maintenance.  :-X

Offline KingOfHeart

• Special Guay
« Reply #116 on: March 14, 2014, 08:44:25 AM »
Uh, any reason why there's no link to the forums on the main page?

Offline Njordr

• Deku Scrub
  • God of the Winds and Seas
    • Miasma | UT2004 Community
« Reply #117 on: March 24, 2014, 11:02:36 AM »
I can see the link to the forums at the top of the site, no issues.

Are there no speedruns/strats pages for Zelda and Zelda II?

Offline mzxrules

• Mega Guay
  • Wrong warp expert
« Reply #118 on: March 25, 2014, 12:26:20 AM »
http://www.zeldaspeedruns.com/loz
http://www.zeldaspeedruns.com/aol

There is a lot of work needed to be put into these sites for them to be listed on the drop down though
Braid

Offline Tryst

• Deku Scrub
  • twitch.tv/trystxii
    • Twitch
« Reply #119 on: November 21, 2014, 05:14:43 PM »
Could mini-games be added to the speed running categories?
I'm not sure which games have mini-games within them, but A Link Between Worlds is fairly popular on Cyberscore (link) and I'd love to be able to submit my own times here as well. After all this is Zelda and these are speed runs!