ZSR Forums
April 25, 2024, 12:36:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to tell if you have the correct WADS?  (Read 5310 times)
jdlinkmaster
Deku Scrub

« on: July 09, 2015, 07:51:43 PM »

I downloaded ocarina of time 1.2 and majora's mask (both japanese) from links provides by a user on this forum. Ocarina of time looks normal, but there is something weird about majoras mask. On the wii menu, when i press A on the channel for majoras mask, pretty much all the text is missing, such as release year. Ocarina has everything.

Also, you know how how when you point the wiimote at the channel (not clicking on it), it shows the title of the channel? Majora's is japanese, and ocarina's is english. Should i be concerned? Does majoras mask have different versions (1.0, 1.1 and so on)?

It would also be useful if i could get the definition of what exactly an "inject" WAD is. Thanks!
TheCowness
Deku Scrub

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 08:56:09 PM »

An "Inject" wad is when you take a Virtual Console wad and replace the ROM inside it with another ROM, such as taking the normal VC OoT WAD and replacing the OoT 1.2 with OoT 1.0.  Or you can replace it with a different N64 game altogether.  Basically VC channels contain an emulator and a rom, and you can "inject" a different rom file into it.  This is not allowed for speedrunning, since 1.0/1.1 OoT running on VC would be faster for some categories than any officially-released copy of the game.

I'm pretty sure that my JP OoT and MM wads are the same way as yours on the menu, with OoT saying "Zeruda no densetsu: Ocarina no toki" or whatever in English lettering and MM having Japanese text, so you might be fine.  Your description of the MM main screen is weird, though; it may be an inject of a different version, causing it to emulate oddly.

I don't know much about MM versioning, but I recently added MM to my Wii Menu myself, and I think I saw 1.0 and 1.1 versions.  I would just assume the higher number is the real wad, and the other is an inject.  I didn't think there were different version numbers, though; when people talk about MM version differences they just compare "Japanese" and "English"... maybe someone else can elaborate.  Not sure why ZSR doesn't seem to have a page for it...
jdlinkmaster
Deku Scrub

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 09:31:04 PM »

An "Inject" wad is when you take a Virtual Console wad and replace the ROM inside it with another ROM, such as taking the normal VC OoT WAD and replacing the OoT 1.2 with OoT 1.0.  Or you can replace it with a different N64 game altogether.  Basically VC channels contain an emulator and a rom, and you can "inject" a different rom file into it.  This is not allowed for speedrunning, since 1.0/1.1 OoT running on VC would be faster for some categories than any officially-released copy of the game.

I'm pretty sure that my JP OoT and MM wads are the same way as yours on the menu, with OoT saying "Zeruda no densetsu: Ocarina no toki" or whatever in English lettering and MM having Japanese text, so you might be fine.  Your description of the MM main screen is weird, though; it may be an inject of a different version, causing it to emulate oddly.

I don't know much about MM versioning, but I recently added MM to my Wii Menu myself, and I think I saw 1.0 and 1.1 versions.  I would just assume the higher number is the real wad, and the other is an inject.  I didn't think there were different version numbers, though; when people talk about MM version differences they just compare "Japanese" and "English"... maybe someone else can elaborate.  Not sure why ZSR doesn't seem to have a page for it...
Where is the most reliable place to get the correct WADS for speed running? I might just reinstall them altogether
jdlinkmaster
Deku Scrub

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 10:39:26 PM »

I uploaded a video of my wads
http://youtu.be/iw6gfX-KcOA
TheCowness
Deku Scrub

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 12:04:02 AM »

I actually got my MM wad from the link someone posted at the end of your previous thread, so either you have the right one, or we both have the wrong one.  Who knows.  Mine's missing that text, too, though.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: