ZSR Forums
April 25, 2024, 04:10:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: No IM/WW Tournament Discussion  (Read 6414 times)
Apasher
Regular Guay

« on: May 04, 2015, 01:40:56 AM »

Hello,

Recently I've been noticing speedrunning tournaments held by different communities (eg, the Link to the Past community with their No Major Glitches tournaments) and I thought that it would be an interesting idea if we had a tournament for OoT in a bracket format, so I thought I'd organize one.

I chose No IM/WW to be the category for the tournament because it's a widely-known and relatively preferred category within the runners, has a ton of competition, and it's very suitable for races since it doesn't have too many run-enders.

The format of the tournament will be a double-elimination bracket, and tournament matches will be done in the form of SRL races. The races don't have to be 1-on-1 tournament-exclusive races. Anyone may join the race even if there is a tournament match going on in that race channel. Multiple tournament matches may be done in a single race as well. You can register at http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/KnCk8OVaIO.

The tournament will start at the 14th of June, 2015 and check-in will be available on the 12th. At the start of each round, you will be given 10 days to race your opponent. If one player hasn't been active or didn't try to set up a date with their opponent, he/she will be disqualified. After your match, please report the results to me through IRC, or Twitter (@Apasher_).

If anyone is willing to help with seeding, please let me know.

Thanks,
-Apasher
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 02:09:08 AM by Apasher » Logged
Valientlink
Regular Guay

~V@LîΣÑTLîÑK~

Email
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 01:49:23 AM »

I think this would be a cool idea. Although, there would definitely have to be an eased down route for the race to lower the amount of run enders. I'm on the fence about joining, what time on the 14th (EST) would you expect to have it?

Signature
SilentKnight115
Deku Scrub

Starlight Adventurer

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 07:18:59 AM »

I'm noticing an issue: With as many entrants as we have, and as many matches are made necessary by a double elim bracket, at 10 days per scheduled match, this tournament would easily go for several months. I feel like it would be easier to facilitate by reducing the window to 5 days, or maybe at least a week. Something like that.

They speak of thunder, I prefer the quiet.
whyieyesya
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 02:15:45 PM »

I'm noticing an issue: With as many entrants as we have, and as many matches are made necessary by a double elim bracket, at 10 days per scheduled match, this tournament would easily go for several months. I feel like it would be easier to facilitate by reducing the window to 5 days, or maybe at least a week. Something like that.
There are currently 49 entrants. So that is 6 rounds, I guess (log2(49)=5.6). So it would take two months at the moment. Not sure how a number of entrants that is not a power of 2 is handled?

SilentKnight115
Deku Scrub

Starlight Adventurer

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 04:44:19 AM »

I suppose it's not too bad so far.

Not sure how a number of entrants that is not a power of 2 is handled?

As to this, I assume it will be easy to do it by seeding. Better players don't have to play as many rounds sort of thing. Apasher, have you decided who's going to do seeding?

They speak of thunder, I prefer the quiet.
Apasher
Regular Guay

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 01:01:01 AM »

I suppose it's not too bad so far.

As to this, I assume it will be easy to do it by seeding. Better players don't have to play as many rounds sort of thing. Apasher, have you decided who's going to do seeding?

Yeah, Piticarus and I are handling seeding.

Also, reminder that the races are open to everyone weather if they have a tournament match or not, and multiple tournament matches can be done in one race.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 01:03:37 AM by Apasher » Logged
darb_meister30
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 08:46:01 PM »

Does each round occur at its own pace? Like, can round 2 occur as soon as there are 2 people in one match? Or do we have to wait until everyone in round 2 has a match partner?
Apasher
Regular Guay

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 04:02:22 AM »

Does each round occur at its own pace? Like, can round 2 occur as soon as there are 2 people in one match? Or do we have to wait until everyone in round 2 has a match partner?

Each match occurs at its own pace, yes.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: