ZSR Forums
March 28, 2024, 08:59:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: MM3D: Questions & Answers  (Read 26300 times)
benstephens1000
Site Editor
Special Guay

I'm the worst

Email
« on: April 09, 2015, 12:39:55 PM »

Post questions about speedrunning, glitches, theories, etc. and hopefully someone more knowledgeable on that topic will be able to get back to you shortly.

PLEASE POST QUESTONS HERE INSTEAD OF MAKING A NEW THREAD!!! This really helps to keep the forums clean and neat!

Also it is prefers that questions be placed here instead of the Tricks and Discoveries thread considering that thread gets cluttered enough as it is.

Thank you

"tsmart yashichidsf wild dumb bitch" -Isaacordorica 2012
BigHairyFart
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 10:59:11 PM »

Do we know why Gibdo BA relies on some invisible timer?

This place is as dead as Link was that one time he forgot to catch a fairy in his bottle.
reidenlightman
Regular Guay

I think I'm amazing. I'm not.

Email
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 01:10:05 AM »

Do we know why Gibdo BA relies on some invisible timer?

It has to do with the way MM3D uses its own internal timer. It's a 64 bit timer, and as like most timers, it constantly writes bytes to a certain address, and at certain points, it writes to certain bytes that, when paired with Gibdo BA, causes weird crud to happen. This is as much as I know about it.

MM3D, sub 2:15 in only 5 runs. I really need a capture board.
benstephens1000
Site Editor
Special Guay

I'm the worst

Email
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 11:47:31 AM »

I'm not actually sure why BA relies on the timer. A good person to ask might be Keeta because as far as I'm aware, it works very similarly, if not exactly the same as how BA works with the games internal timer on N64.

gamestabled
Site Editor
Special Guay

B e t A Q u e S t

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 10:59:06 PM »

Basically, when you do BA, you are writing in the values for the Hot Spring Water to unintended locations in the game's memory. The first chunk of numbers that the HSW writes is the time that you caught the HSW, based on a timer that starts counting up from when you started the game. So, by having the game on for different amounts of time, it writes different values and causes different results. EDIT: Oh, and it writes that timer because that's how it's supposed to do the math to know when to cool the HSW.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 11:00:48 PM by gamestabled » Logged

when i grow up, i wanna be just like taylortotftw
reidenlightman
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 05:38:31 AM »

Does anybody have a consistent way of Ikana early without triple sword clip? I seem to only get it 1 in 10 times, and the only so-called guide I found did a crap job explaining the inputs.

gabyelnuevo
Regular Guay

Máscara de La Fiera Deidad

Email
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 03:21:43 PM »

Does anybody have a consistent way of Ikana early without triple sword clip? I seem to only get it 1 in 10 times, and the only so-called guide I found did a crap job explaining the inputs.

Nope, is either TSC for consistent method or be lucky to get the 1-framer trick first try =P
benstephens1000
Site Editor
Special Guay

I'm the worst

Email
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 06:33:16 PM »

That trick is really just one that you need to aquire muscle memory for. It's best if you hit A just a little before landing and target at the apex of your pound. It's all about that timing.

bobthegiraffemonkey
Deku Scrub

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 09:03:33 PM »

Go to the corner between right side of the rock and the wall, and target the rock (as human). Sidehop left, roll twice, sidehop right, roll, backfip (keep holding back or you won't make it up). It's not too bad to jump up without a setup, but I made one anyway. Fun fact: I checked my setup to post and went there during the day, apparently the real chus will knock you OOB at that corner.
demolition14
Deku Scrub

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2015, 01:06:15 PM »

Mashing A when Goron Link is going upwards works well with me, get it about 1 in 3 tries.

"I will marry Demo when he gets WR" - Iwabi74
reidenlightman
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2015, 08:33:40 PM »

Go to the corner between right side of the rock and the wall, and target the rock (as human). Sidehop left, roll twice, sidehop right, roll, backfip (keep holding back or you won't make it up). It's not too bad to jump up without a setup, but I made one anyway. Fun fact: I checked my setup to post and went there during the day, apparently the real chus will knock you OOB at that corner.

Thanks. It really works. Sure, it might only save me around 20 seconds, but that's a lot in speedrun time, every second counts, and it will be more consistent so I'll be losing fewer runs to this part.

Question

How much faster can any language be compared to any other? As far as I'm concerned, all text boxes can be instant by rapidly pressing b then a when the box appears. This only exception would be certain giants' text boxes where it intentionally appears character by character.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 05:32:47 PM by reidenlightman » Logged

Tailsko
Regular Guay

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2015, 03:07:27 AM »

Recently transferred everything to my New 3DS JP Model. Micro SDHC I am using SanDisk Extreme Plus Class 10 micro SDHC 16GB 80MB/s. (I have no clue if going for 95mb/s read and 90mb/s write speed will do me any good). I am noticing a lot more slowdowns with the 3D on. It could be my micro sdhc from a bad batch. Formatted everything and still lag with 3D on. More noticeable in Gyorg's Boss room. Can anyone confirm this? Would going for a different micro sdhc make a difference? (Game is digital. I noticed this also on Pokemon X digital, just random lag spikes).
demolition14
Deku Scrub

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2015, 01:11:15 AM »

This slowdown is happening to a bunch of other people, notably in the pokemon games. It is happening to MM3D, probably because the game was developed with the c-stick in mind as opposed to the new hardware, so slowdowns with the new face tracking 3d is common, it is not from your micro sdhc.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 01:13:46 AM by demolition14 » Logged

weckar
Deku Scrub

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2015, 11:35:03 PM »

Ack, wish I had seen this sooner. The "Ask Questions" tag on the top thread threw me off. Sorry about that, hate to be a bother.
demolition14
Deku Scrub

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2015, 07:17:35 PM »

How do you do Zora ledge clips? And also how do you skip the Ikana castle with one?

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: