MM3D: Questions & Answers

(1/7) > >>

benstephens1000:
Post questions about speedrunning, glitches, theories, etc. and hopefully someone more knowledgeable on that topic will be able to get back to you shortly.

PLEASE POST QUESTONS HERE INSTEAD OF MAKING A NEW THREAD!!! This really helps to keep the forums clean and neat!

Also it is prefers that questions be placed here instead of the Tricks and Discoveries thread considering that thread gets cluttered enough as it is.

Thank you

BigHairyFart:
Do we know why Gibdo BA relies on some invisible timer?

reidenlightman:
Quote from: BigHairyFart on April 09, 2015, 10:59:11 PM

Do we know why Gibdo BA relies on some invisible timer?

It has to do with the way MM3D uses its own internal timer. It's a 64 bit timer, and as like most timers, it constantly writes bytes to a certain address, and at certain points, it writes to certain bytes that, when paired with Gibdo BA, causes weird crud to happen. This is as much as I know about it.

benstephens1000:
I'm not actually sure why BA relies on the timer. A good person to ask might be Keeta because as far as I'm aware, it works very similarly, if not exactly the same as how BA works with the games internal timer on N64.

gamestabled:
Basically, when you do BA, you are writing in the values for the Hot Spring Water to unintended locations in the game's memory. The first chunk of numbers that the HSW writes is the time that you caught the HSW, based on a timer that starts counting up from when you started the game. So, by having the game on for different amounts of time, it writes different values and causes different results. EDIT: Oh, and it writes that timer because that's how it's supposed to do the math to know when to cool the HSW.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page