ZSR Forums
March 28, 2024, 12:21:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Super Jumping (Big Ups)  (Read 50988 times)
Flynn
Regular Guay

« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2015, 06:14:50 AM »

http://i.imgur.com/fnyM2no.jpg

and

http://i.imgur.com/z0cV3jC.jpg

thy flynn has spoken

(maybe seabass will notice me now..?)
SurrealGuy
Deku Scrub

« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2015, 09:35:05 AM »

According to Flynn's picture of D6, that would allow another Superjump. I just made a quick video of that. This would save about 10-12 seconds over playing Mambo after getting the Nightmares Key.
http://www.twitch.tv/surrealguy/c/6366053
We would have to decide if youre allowed to stand in any wall. Because to me it would make no sense to allow the D6 jump i just posted, but youre not allowed to stand in a wall on the border of a screen (which would also allow the alternate Rooster skip method then).

Edit: Ok, you have to walk on the ceiling for alternate Rooster skip, which is another thing we have to decide.
Edit2: I should read more carefully.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 10:24:35 AM by SurrealGuy » Logged
aulos
Regular Guay

Diddle-Y-A-Doo-Dat

Email
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2015, 10:08:40 AM »

We would have to decide if youre allowed to stand in any wall.
Read my post on the first page of this topic, it might lead you to a solution.
Flynn
Regular Guay

« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2015, 10:42:06 AM »

I'm not a big fan of being able to stand in walls myself, but I'm open to any discussion about it.

Edit: To clarify my position I really like what aullos is proposing, and for the most part it lines up really well with what my idea of OoB is.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 10:48:07 AM by Flynn » Logged
aulos
Regular Guay

Diddle-Y-A-Doo-Dat

Email
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2015, 11:22:52 AM »

Also consider that my definition would definitely allow Walrus Skip for the main category.
LoenP
Regular Guay

« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2015, 01:14:34 PM »

Yeah this sums up how I view it. D4 early is neat (and old) but idk about walking on dungeon/cave ceilings.
aulos
Regular Guay

Diddle-Y-A-Doo-Dat

Email
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2015, 03:28:03 PM »

How's this for super jumping
I think it's okay ? I mean, even if you can walk through walls, you can't go to another screen through them and I don't know if it would be worth to get the glitch for that (maybe someone should try to make a route?)
Drenn
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2015, 04:27:10 PM »

I think it's okay ? I mean, even if you can walk through walls, you can't go to another screen through them and I don't know if it would be worth to get the glitch for that (maybe someone should try to make a route?)
FYI this can also be done in d4 and d8 (swimming in lava). It can also be done in certain caves without wall clipping, but it's inconsistent. I dunno... I really think this is just too powerful to allow, even if we have all these other restrictions in place. It's just really silly.

And for the record, I agree with flynn and everyone else, about the boundaries restricting cave ceilings, I think this makes the most sense.

As for walrus skip. Yes aullos's rules totally allows for it. If there's still going to be any debate over whether it should be allowed, it should be on the basis of banning deloading, instead of trying to warp the OoB definition to say that walrus skip isn't allowed. Not that I personally think we should ban deloading.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 04:34:56 PM by Drenn » Logged
oseabass
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2015, 10:19:16 PM »

http://i.imgur.com/fnyM2no.jpg

and

http://i.imgur.com/z0cV3jC.jpg

thy flynn has spoken

(maybe seabass will notice me now..?)

I agree with both these images.  Ship it boys.
Flynn
Regular Guay

« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2015, 11:54:15 PM »

If anyone has any specific jumps that they've found and are not sure if they would be legal by this new ruleset feel free to post them here. Even if we have to rule on these one by one it wouldn't take too long till we have a very concrete list of what is allowed and what is not.

I have to say tho, I'm liking the direction this is going. I feel these are really interesting additions to the route. It's been a really long time since ive been excited to watch a dx run, but im real pumped to see what happens in the next week or so.
oseabass
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2015, 02:42:58 PM »

Forgive me in advance for the length of this post, but I will try and explain how I think the rules should be laid out to allow/disallow what we want.
Sorry in advance for the complexity of this post, I blame my math/programmer/proof background, also I apologize for my lame MS Paint Skillz.

I am also going to explain how the game is programmed in terms of tiles, so that could be VERY confusing to some people.  If you want to get right to the "rules" skip down to the big RULES ARE HERE section Wink

*clears throat* Ahem *clears throat*

First I will start by defining "tiles".  Tiles are the basic level building mechanic in LA(dx).  Each screen is made up of a grid of tiles that is 10 across x 8 tall.  Take for example this room in dungeon 8 where one gets the fire rod,

If you break it up into a grid, think of it like a chess board (not square) with the bottom left corner being A1, bottom right corner J1, top left A8, top right J8.  You can also think of it like a plot on an X,Y graph if you want with tile (1,1) being in the bottom left, (10,1) bottom right, (10,8) top right, (1,8) top left.  I will be using the "graph" style notation since it's easier to deal with numbers then letters Wink

For a better grid look at how BGB splits it up when you view the VRAM, each 2x2 box counts as one "tile", but take note that this shows one extra row down to account for when the screen is transitioning.

The way the game is coded, looking in the debugger of an emulator you can see this grid laid out in RAM by looking in the rows/values of F700 through F790.  The grid is surrounded by "FF" which is the highest hex code value that can fit in those spaces (or what the developers used as a buffer).  Each tile is programmed/painted onto the screen using a corresponding hex code to determine the properties of that tile.  For instance in our D8 room, the walls/look/art/hit detection/interaction/everything is the same on the wall squares.  If we look at the very top row (row Cool we see the following tiles from left to right: C0, 25, 6 x 21's 26, C0 (10 across).  These hex codes map directly to a tile and how it works: Eyeball Statue, TopLeft Corner D8 Wall, Top D8 Wall x6, TopRight Corner D8 Wall, Eyeball Statue.  These values are used throughout the ENTIRE game because that is how the code is attached to them.  For instance look at the down stairs at (3,4) with a hex code of BE, in every location in the game a down stairs is represented in memory with that same BE code.  I could paste a bunch of screen shots showing this but that is crazy tedious so you just have to trust me on this one or check it out yourself Smiley

These codes are what give Link the ability to act within the tiles they represent.  Tiles that the game wants Link to move on have those properties.  Walls the game wants Link to not move through have that property.  Trees in the overworld... you get the idea.  The tiles in dungeons are special versus the ones in the overworld, which explains a bit why the super jumps work in dungeons and not in overworld (most of the time Wink). 

In our D8 example look at the walls that act as "northern" walls represented by "21" in the hex code, you see them at the top row 8, you see some of them in row 5, some in row 2.  Since the game is built in dungeons so that these walls can normally be "hopped down" the programmers re use the coding for the high walls the same as low walls, so the wall at (2,2) (3,2) has the same properties as (2,5) through (5,5).  The programmers wanted Link to be able to drop down those ledges to make it to the lower sections.  This allows super jumps off the top most wall in row 8 because the programmers lazily used the same wall code (for look and feel and ease of coding) with the same hex value as the walls in row 2 and 5.  This is why Link can super jump off certain tiles.  In most dungeons the programmers used this same method since a lot of the dungeon puzzles involve dropping down to lower sections.  In the overworld they shut everything off a lot more by making it blocked off a lot better with more varying codes.

I could go into a lot more detail and proofing of this, but for now I'll get to the good part.  If anyone wants me to do a more legit and full breakdown of this I could gladly do a big pastebin/write up for all the tiles, properties, etc. with more examples.  Feel free to PM/message/skype/etc me with questions and clarifications on this.

RULES ARE HERE

Using the D8 grid as a quick example then I'll show other examples further down...

• Link is allowed to move within tiles that the game "normally" allows
  This means any normal tiles the game wants you to walk on (ground, stairs, ladders, orange crystal blocks) {(2,1) (3,1) (5,1) (7/8,1) (5,2) (7,2) (8,2) (9,2) (2,3) (3,3) (4,3) (8,3) (2,4) (3,4) (4,4) (5,4) (7,4) (8,4) (9,4) (7,5) (8,5) (9,5) (2,6) (3,6) (4,6) (5,6) (8,6) (3,7) (5,7) (6,7) (7,7) (8,7)}
  • Link is allowed to move within tiles that are "+1/-1 Adjacent" in the X or Y direction away from "normal" tiles.
  This is the crux of the rule which allows super jumping.  This means any tile that is directly adjacent to a moveable "normal" can be walked in/on/through/etc.  In our D8 example it is easier to say what is not a "+1/-1 Adjacent" since a lot of tiles are.  The D8 room tiles that are NOT +1/-1 (or "normals"): (10,1) (1,2) (6,3) (10,3) (1,5) (10,6) (1,7) (10,7) (1,8) (2,8) (9,8) (10,8).
I'll so better examples below of this later.
  • Link is not allowed to transition/move/exit screens while within a "+1/-1 Adjacent" tile.  Entering from one is OK!
  This makes it so tricks like super jumps cannot be abused to break caves, dungeons, and such wide open in terms of movement in weird ways.  This keeps all super jumps in check, and also allows for internal tile movement within a screen allowed by rules (Walrus Skip, Hookshot Damage boost throughs, etc.)

Let's take a look at another example.  In Dungeon 4 we find this room.  Link can move around in this room at will on normal tiles and tiles outlined in blue, but not allowed to move on red tiles.  Link is not allowed to transition screens while within a blue tile.  This means if there was in theory a jump that allowed Link to move from the bottom section, jump over the gap of red, to the top with the stairs... Link could exit the room from the "normal" tiles in the top left NOT EXITING FROM A BLUE TILE.

I'll finish with one final example in the overworld, up near where Flame Skip occurs.  Again, "+1/-1 Adjacent" tiles are highlighted in blue and the non "+1/-1 Adjacent" tiles are highlighted in red.  The Yellow tiles are ones we normally don't walk to, but Link is allowed to move on them through the normal rules of the game.  If Link were to somehow make it to a yellow tile, Link would be allowed to exit this screen to the left through that small window (NOT EXITING FROM A BLUE TILE).  If Link manages to do this, the next screen over would boost him to the left and past the rock wall he normally could not pass similar to Villa Skip. This would be allowed, since the movement/exit/transition of the screen happened within a valid "normal" tile.  If Link were to exit the previous screen from an invalid tile, this move is illegal.  This still allows Villa Skip within this rule set, since Link can jump into the pit that is above the skip, which makes it a "normal" tile.  Link is transitioning from a tile that he can MOVE on.  I say MOVE here because it is important to note MOVING does not mean WALKING.  Link can jump to move in the Villa Skip example.

Enjoy  Grin
-amBASSador
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 03:04:10 PM by oseabass » Logged
Drenn
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2015, 05:05:48 PM »

Cool post bass. The one thing I'm not clear on is the yellow zone. So, we're allowed to walk on any tile which has walkable properties, even if it's normally inaccessible without some kind of glitch? To be clear, this would allow the super jump to reach d4 faster. I'm okay with that, just trying to make sure we're on the same page...

edit: actually, I don't see any reason you can't screen transition while in a cave ceiling with these rules, if they count as a "yellow" zone. So wouldn't this allow for old walrus skip?

Let's take a look at another example.  In Dungeon 4 we find this room.  Link can move around in this room at will on normal tiles and tiles outlined in blue, but not allowed to move on red tiles.  Link is not allowed to transition screens while within a blue tile.  This means if there was in theory a jump that allowed Link to move from the bottom section, jump over the gap of red, to the top with the stairs... Link could exit the room from the "normal" tiles in the top left NOT EXITING FROM A BLUE TILE.
Wait, so we'd be allowed to jump over these red tiles? For some reason I feel like that defeats the purpose of saying they're restricted. However, unless we allow that noclipping glitch, I don't see where this would be relevant, anyway.

I haven't thought about this a great deal yet, however... I feel like the routing would look pretty similar if we dropped the whole +1/-1 thing and allowed movement through whatever walls, the only restriction being "you can't transition while in a wall". Maybe I'm missing something though. Nvm cave ceilings
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 06:35:31 PM by Drenn » Logged
oseabass
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2015, 06:17:10 PM »

edit: actually, I don't see any reason you can't screen transition while in a cave ceiling with these rules, if they count as a "yellow" zone. So wouldn't this allow for old walrus skip?

If you look at the D4 early cave it would be colored like this.  I am not familiar with the old early walrus skips, if you have a video I can look at it and see how my rule set would apply to it (or not).  The Yellow is basically a fancy way of bringing attention to areas for people for easy reference Smiley.  In this above example, you could say Yellow is anything "normal" moveable, which would be everything NOT blue or red colored.  If you can post a video of old WS I can check it out and get back to you.
Drenn
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2015, 06:22:46 PM »

If you look at the D4 early cave it would be colored like this.  I am not familiar with the old early walrus skips, if you have a video I can look at it and see how my rule set would apply to it (or not).  The Yellow is basically a fancy way of bringing attention to areas for people for easy reference Smiley.  In this above example, you could say Yellow is anything "normal" moveable, which would be everything NOT blue or red colored.  If you can post a video of old WS I can check it out and get back to you.
I guess what I'm trying to say is, why is the cave ceiling colored red while that area in the other image is colored yellow? What's the difference?

Can't find a video for old walrus skip atm, all I know is it's done by transitioning down on one of those 2 screens in the cave.
Rapid_
Regular Guay

« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2015, 07:35:28 PM »

...yellow is anything "normal" moveable...
What do you mean by "normal"; do you mean what was and is intended by the developers, or what you defined as "normal" in your post regarding the rules? If it is the latter then it would be perfectly fine to walk around on those tiles as they are used in other caves.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 07:56:26 PM by Rapid_ » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: