Author Topic: Majora's Mask 3D: Speedrunning Discussion | Research & Discovery | Ask Questions  (Read 117313 times)

Offline reidenlightman

• Regular Guay
  • I think I'm amazing. I'm not.
Sorry guys, but can you stop calling him Ghomess? It's Gomess...

Kappa

Really? [checks in the game] Oh crap.
MM3D, sub 2:15 in only 5 runs. I really need a capture board.

Offline Madmonk12345

• Regular Guay
Ooh. I just had a really crazy idea, an idea that would make Romani's mask faster than Gibdo if it worked and we found a better way to get past the boulder at Romani Ranch.

We can speed up the clock without gibdo's mask by bottle duping over deku mask. what would happen if we had fast clock speed during the alien event and when protecting the milk? the scenes might go by instantly. If we did it this way, a major interfering element to hookshot skip would be put to rest as well because we'd never need to do hookshot clip.

At the very least, this would be great for hundred percent with gibdo mask BA to speed up the waits for those events.

Offline reidenlightman

• Regular Guay
Ooh. I just had a really crazy idea, an idea that would make Romani's mask faster than Gibdo if it worked and we found a better way to get past the boulder at Romani Ranch.

We can speed up the clock without gibdo's mask by bottle duping over deku mask. what would happen if we had fast clock speed during the alien event and when protecting the milk? the scenes might go by instantly. If we did it this way, a major interfering element to hookshot skip would be put to rest as well because we'd never need to do hookshot clip.

At the very least, this would be great for hundred percent with gibdo mask BA to speed up the waits for those events.

I'm going to start working on this and see what I find. Anything I find will be edited into this post.

Post below me is correct.

Another edit: I tried. There's not way this can be useful.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 09:46:22 PM by reidenlightman »

Offline BigHairyFart

• Regular Guay
Ghost movement is based on the clock, so the ghosts would reach the barn instantly.
This place is as dead as Link was that one time he forgot to catch a fairy in his bottle.

Offline reidenlightman

• Regular Guay

Offline TheWayfaringFox

• Site Editor
  • Special Guay

Problems with this:
-no fast Woodfall Temple without hookshot
-have to see how fast Deku Mask BA makes time move, might be hours per frame like Gibdo Mask

My 100% route does Romani Ranch in a single trip in 100%, idk what other ideas there are...

Offline Masterluigisw

• Regular Guay
    • My Youtube Channel
Two more finds.

Climb Kevin Turtle W/O Entering Great Bay

Based Grezzo (The Many Ways of Ikana Early)

Nice.

I found an easier more consistent setup based of yours (works for all transform masks and normal link): L Target + A , release wait a little (important), L target hold down

Waiting a half a second after L-A AND holding down L for 1 second gives the time for navi to lock on the statue... now this trick consistency is 100% and doesnt require to spam L-A-L

Also for the backflip setup, you can just put yourself behind the rock (zoras head in the middle of the rock's angled texture), and simply roll + backflip. Also works with link.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 02:00:47 PM by Masterluigisw »

Offline gabyelnuevo

• Regular Guay
  • Máscara de La Fiera Deidad
Have you guys kept up with ISG? There are 2 ways to ISG as Deku now x)))

Offline ToxicPlaysStuff

• Deku Scrub
So I found this glitch i'm going to call Bow/Hookshot storage, it functions in pretty much the same way mask storage works. You do a backflip and hold the button for the hookshot or bow long enough for Link to perform his equipping animation before he hits the ground, and make sure you pull out your shield after the animation is complete and before you hit the ground. If you did it right, you'll be holding the shield as if Link was aiming the hookshot or bow. Make sure you release the shield button before untargeting to maintain the glitch. Now whenever you target, link will be holding whatever item you used, and when you press up or down, he will aim the bow/hookshot, but if you sidestep he will stop aiming and move normally. Rolling, equipping another item, or jumping of a ledge will get rid of it. I don't really think it has any practical uses, but I think we should look into doing this with other items and see if any of those have uses.

Offline BigHairyFart

• Regular Guay
Would it be possible to do a Mask jump on the way to Great Bay Early, instead of just a jumpslash? Would it even be easier?
This place is as dead as Link was that one time he forgot to catch a fairy in his bottle.

Offline Madmonk12345

• Regular Guay
Would it be possible to do a Mask jump on the way to Great Bay Early, instead of just a jumpslash? Would it even be easier?
It wouldn't be easier or faster as the timing for mask jumps with child link isn't anywhere as convenient as the timing for zora link, generally requiring multiple buffers. Also, it doesn't actually gain more height than a jump slash though it puts link into a state where you can move which might make the trick a little easier after the mask jump is done.

It's worth testing though. Should be possible at least.

Offline Madmonk12345

• Regular Guay
I thought I recalled that there was some way to get ocarina out in first cycle in MM that was declared useless because you still had to learn the song of time anyways. Does anyone remember anything about it?

If it were possible in MM3D, we could do song of double time and advance straight to midnight of the third day, skipping a substantial amount of waiting.

Offline BigHairyFart

• Regular Guay
Wouldn't you still need to have learned the Song of Time to play Song of Double Time  anyways?

Offline benstephens1000

• Site Editor
  • Special Guay
  • I'm the worst
I think that technique only works as human, actually. I messed around with it in first cycle with no luck. The method is to grab the ledge on Honey and Darling on the third day just as the time runs out so that the lowering platform makes you jump down after the time runs out. Then play again and jump down right away. It's kinda tricky as deku  but I never got ocarina when I tried.
"tsmart yashichidsf wild dumb bitch" -Isaacordorica 2012

Offline Madmonk12345

• Regular Guay
Wouldn't you still need to have learned the Song of Time to play Song of Double Time  anyways?
No actually. They are special case songs that work regardless of what you've learned. This is why low% can't use them- using them once writes them into your song list.

Song of time has no special case because it's written into your song list by the memory of Zelda CS and therefore doesn't need any code written for it specifically.

Sorry, I was going off of memory, though to be fair the proof that this doesn't work was very difficult to find. :/

I found the video if what I was thinking of. Song time and song of inverted time don't work when you don't know the song of time for no good reason:/ The reason I thought SoDT might work and that no one would have cared about it seemed so plausible too. Nothing to see here. :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8b7neEUcks
In JP 1.0, you can pull out restricted items in H&D in the first cycle for some bizarre reason, allowing you to pull out the ocarina first cycle via Bomb OI.
This is potentially possible in MM3D in first cycle, depending on whether some old glitches still work or not. It's a bit of a longshot given multiple contingencies. The main problem is lack of a way to access an item that gives a cutscene like the title deed did.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 07:53:36 AM by Madmonk12345 »

Offline BigHairyFart

• Regular Guay
How was something like that even found?

Offline gabyelnuevo

• Regular Guay
Idk if Cycle 1 is different from other cycles, but afaik restricted items doesn't work in H&D minigame as deku anymore.

Offline Madmonk12345

• Regular Guay
Idk if Cycle 1 is different from other cycles, but afaik restricted items doesn't work in H&D minigame as deku anymore.
the thing is, now we can do RI elsewhere in first cycle via deku flower. The real issue is the change to trade items which severely limits the options available for bomb OI. Kaztalek suggests using magic beans in the description to his video which would be possible in MM3D if we found big octo skip in first cycle.. If that were to work as deku, we could pull out the ocarina out in first cycle on MM3D.

This of course wouldn't allow for SoDT anyways. The point is that it might be possible in some flavor in MM3D.

Offline gabyelnuevo

• Regular Guay
of course you can Octo Skip in MM3D with deku lol

Edit: I originally made these videos for twitter about 2 days after the game was released, showing that it is possible to get to Deku Palace as Deku without Human:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHpFGk02n2w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvOtXFSCNbI
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 03:48:56 PM by gabyelnuevo »

Offline gabyelnuevo

• Regular Guay
If you guys want I can try to do OI in first cycle a thing, the difficult part will be the bomb OI, since you need to get hurt twice :\

Also Deku can't use beans..
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 07:48:21 PM by gabyelnuevo »

Offline Madmonk12345

• Regular Guay
Please do. It's worth a shot, and I have a feeling it might lead to future breaks.

Is there a deku flower in the place where the monkey who teaches you sonata of awakening is? Don't remember.

Offline gabyelnuevo

• Regular Guay
Inside the place? No, just on the outside of the palace

Offline protatoxxxeater

• Deku Scrub
i was messing a round with backflip ice slides in the area before mountain village and a white boe jumped over my head and i hit the tatl button
while it was above my head and link began spinning continuously  while the text was on screen
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
useless but i thought i might mention it

Offline dasfilth

• Deku Scrub
Has anyone found the invisble Deku Stick oddity yet? I'm not sure it's even remotely useful.

Basically, I was messing around with the Action Swap fire arrow trick and wound up with an invisible deku stick in my hand. It can't hit walls, but can hit torches and pots, although it seems to be unable to break anything.

Again, probably useless, and I'm not even sure how I did it. I had just shot an Action Swap fire arrow and I think I played the Reverse Song of Time directly afterwards.

Offline demolition14

• Deku Scrub
This is the invisible deku stick glitch, you pull out a deku stick and then pull out the ocarina. We knew about it for a long time and it used to be part of the route but we then found quicker alternatives so it's useless currently.
"I will marry Demo when he gets WR" - Iwabi74

Offline Masterluigisw

• Regular Guay
    • My Youtube Channel
Time stopped in lens of truth cave, then I let the invisible skultulla take damage and kill me. Nothing happens (softlock animation).

Offline dasfilth

• Deku Scrub
I managed to do pseudo song storage by wrong warping to the Oath to Order room, playing the Reverse Song of Time, and then voiding out.
It placed me back in the bomb shop with the song text on the screen, and free movement.

Kind of useless, because the text is immediately on screen instead of being triggered when text is encountered.

Offline protatoxxxeater

• Deku Scrub
So I found this glitch i'm going to call Bow/Hookshot storage, it functions in pretty much the same way mask storage works. You do a backflip and hold the button for the hookshot or bow long enough for Link to perform his equipping animation before he hits the ground, and make sure you pull out your shield after the animation is complete and before you hit the ground. If you did it right, you'll be holding the shield as if Link was aiming the hookshot or bow. Make sure you release the shield button before untargeting to maintain the glitch. Now whenever you target, link will be holding whatever item you used, and when you press up or down, he will aim the bow/hookshot, but if you sidestep he will stop aiming and move normally. Rolling, equipping another item, or jumping of a ledge will get rid of it. I don't really think it has any practical uses, but I think we should look into doing this with other items and see if any of those have uses.

I found this a while back, just use hookshot/bow, L-target, then backflip and perform mask storage.  ;D

Offline protatoxxxeater

• Deku Scrub
Zora egg in a bottle can be used instead of mask storage for certain things such as timestop w/ storage and The useless hookshot/bow "storage"

Offline protatoxxxeater

• Deku Scrub
Possible Wind Waker storage in MM3D, i was doing action swap ocarina items with my sword when after pressing bottle and then B, my thumb slipped and I pressed B again but the ocarina didn't trigger.
The game was put into "Cutscene mode" where there were black borders around the screen, but link was in his idling animation with his sword drawn, I couldnt move so the game was soft locked.

Offline protatoxxxeater

• Deku Scrub
i was trying to do an ocarina dive, i could use items and move around but the ocarina was on the bottom screen possible DHWW by using bbombs and then timing a jump slash and then playing song of soaring

Offline protatoxxxeater

• Deku Scrub
If you try to do a sword slash ocarina dive with a gossip stone by you it triggers ocarina and you fall, probably the same reason you can song storage

Offline protatoxxxeater

• Deku Scrub
If you try to do a sword slash ocarina dive with a gossip stone by you it triggers ocarina and you fall, probably the same reason you can song storage

I tried using this to warp on epona... it didnt work :(

Offline benstephens1000

• Site Editor
  • Special Guay
  • I'm the worst
Hi thanks for messing with the game, but to keep the forums a clean place to browse, please try to refrain from double, triple, etc. posting, instead just edit your previous post. Thanks
"tsmart yashichidsf wild dumb bitch" -Isaacordorica 2012

Offline protatoxxxeater

• Deku Scrub
SORRY BEN :o

I just found easy return A using the 5th day text storage
instead of using the sword face towards the first mailbox and point the hookshot and exit out of the second mailbox
you now have return a
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------$-----------------------------------------------
Using Text Storage with other transformations has some cool results, Upside down goron/Curl storage, Zora first person glitch, zora isg, and FD isg.

Probably known but after you select an item from the menu you can use restricted items.
-----
"Death" timestop:
Perform the unnamed ocarina glitch ("ocarina dive" next to gossip stone) find a grotto, and turn around so you can back flip into it. Play song of time, back flip then quickly kill your self via, chu, bomb, bomb mask, etc. Link should fall under the ground then the grotto will load. Just before link touches the ground press yes on the text box and link will be healed and in timestop.
 �pressing yes too early will heal link and the item menu will be on the bottom screen but, timestop won't activate
    � using ocarina items and canceling out of the ocarina will bring up the "return to the first day" textbox
      � playing ANY song will bring up "return to the first day" text and selecting yes will play the cutscene and return you to the first day.
-----
Oceanside Spider house mask puzzle skip:
Get onto the left side of the fire place ( jump from table or back flip onto pots and roll jump)
Target the back wall, ledge clip ( wait for Zora link to stop moving), press A, move further into the wall then roll or walk forward.
�The red gate lacks collision so after getting the heart peice you can walk through.
�sidehopping right into the fireplace  then holding up left and re targeting makes clipping easier.
----
Oceanside spider house hookshot clips:
In the main room ( from entrance) walk to the left and target the web in front of the door then strafe into the torch and press and hold the button the hookshot is on and L, once you are against the torch release the hookshot button and link will clip.
�jump slashing right after you fall can give you recoil and you will land by the door of the room with the mask puzzle
� triple slash clips can put you back in bounds
� the hookshot can bring you back in bounds
�jump slashing can also make link void out

In the main room (from entrance) turn right and get between the torch and the wall, hold L and backflip, during the back flip press the hookshot button, If timed right link will fall.
�jump slashing while you fall will place you on a ledge turning around and slashing will give you recoil into the unloaded mask puzzle room
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 02:19:53 PM by protatoxxxeater »

Offline Pseudo Twili

• Deku Scrub
  • I object!
I'm not sure if this is of any use to anyone, but I accidentally discovered how to easily get unlimited fishing hole passes. Also, I really don't know if anyone else has found this minor glitch, but here goes.

You have to activate the 4th day glitch and complete the Oceanside Spider House. Normally, the nervous man gives you just one fishing hole pass if you already have the giant's wallet, but during the 4th day he will give you unlimited passes. You just have to keep talking to him and he'll keep doling them out. If you leave and return he will give you no more.

Here is a post I made on Miiverse after discovering it: https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkN2N5Dww

Offline gabyelnuevo

• Regular Guay
That's a cool way to get a lot of passes. Nice!

Offline atleastjake

• Deku Scrub
This may be a stupid question, but I couldn't find an answer and I'm new to attempting running this game. Should I be running the 1.0 version or does 1.1 make a difference?

Offline megahirtz

• Deku Scrub
    • My Twitch Channel
There is a Versions page (http://zeldaspeedruns.com/mm3d/knowledge/versions) that lets you know the glitches that were patched in 1.1 but it's not necessarily clear from that page what it means for running the game.

The third bullet point on that page is the big one, ESS Bottle Duping over masks is essential for any glitched run. For Any% Bottle Duping over Masks is necessary for Gibdo Bottle Adventure which Wrong Warps us to the Ghot boss fight, the Gyorg boss fight, and the beginning of Stone Tower Temple. The routes for the All Masks and 100% categories both include Gibdo BA but I'm not familiar enough with the runs to tell you what they use it for. Probably the same warps since those are the most useful ones.

You can always run Glitchless of course if your MM3D cart came with ver 1.1 on it.

If you updated to 1.1 on your 3DS it is possible to delete the patch to downgrade back to 1.0. That process is in the Notes section of the Versions page.

Offline Samster68

• Deku Scrub
Hello World! My name is Samster68 and I run a Youtube channel where I play various video games, one of them being Majora's Mask 3D. In my research, I found a video of somebody performing the Grotto Void Warp. I learned it myself and posted a video on my channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRau8atjdFI

It's your choice if you want to add this glitch to the sight. I just wanted to make light of it.
Later! ;)