ZSR Forums
March 29, 2024, 09:48:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Discussing Possible Topics for Change  (Read 34390 times)
mabdulra
Regular Guay

Game Boy

« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2015, 06:21:43 PM »

I'd like to think about every OOB Non-WW in LADX before we do any ruleset change for it.
Here's one I thought of that would very likely happen, and it's very easy to do, too:

1. Open d4
2. Go right to the cave
3. Jump onto ceiling, stay in the cave bounds, just go around the obstacle
4. Exit cave on other side and enter d4

I'm assuming that this will show up in the new TAS, Tompa? Wink
aulos
Regular Guay

Diddle-Y-A-Doo-Dat

Email
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2015, 12:06:00 AM »

And what about just remove the "no OoB" term and replacing it by, I don't know, "as defined by the LA/DX community" ?

I mean, if "OoB" is too annoying to define so the runs can be, just ban stuff we don't want to see and allow stuff we do ?
Drenn
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2015, 08:34:01 PM »

And what about just remove the "no OoB" term and replacing it by, I don't know, "as defined by the LA/DX community" ?

I mean, if "OoB" is too annoying to define so the runs can be, just ban stuff we don't want to see and allow stuff we do ?
To me that approach is really not ideal, I mean even if at the end of the day we need to figure it out on a case-by-case basis, we at least need a guideline to use. Preferably it should be as clear as possible.

I think both of the options mentioned here can work, I'm just not sure what people would prefer. I'd be okay with tompa's definition which allows more skips, but I'm not very immersed into the main categories yet. I'm especially curious what the higher level runners would think, like leon / zorlax, after all the time spent optimizing for a less lenient ruleset.
LoenP
Regular Guay

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2015, 09:44:37 PM »

I'm fine with any rule changes. Change in the route(s) should be interesting at least! I've always been intrigued by the minor OoBs that were allowed in the route before I entered the community, and none of the categories utilize other than the No WW one which I think only 2 people have ran.

Only caveat I'll add is that if the ruleset is modified enough that the old runs are heavily invalidated perhaps just rename the current main category to Legacy or w/e simply as a means of preserving the leaderboards and runs of the last 3~ years of the game's activity. 

idk I don't particularly care about my PBs being wiped or invalidated; I can always play more and get new ones
oseabass
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2015, 01:01:29 AM »

I have too many quotes I want to use so I'll go through them quick and loose from earlier posts, sorry for not giving credit where it is due, but just read the posts and you will be fine Smiley

Anyway, the thing I think right now we need to figure out and then decide on is what and why the Piece of Power allows you to clip through the Walrus sprite, and if this constitutes an OoB movement.

I for one would love to know EXACTLY why PoP allows you to move through it.  I also wonder how many other things PoP would effect "boundaries" of.

Secondly, as Tompa brings up, there are.. inconsistencies in the current ruleset. Specifically disallowing Out of Bounds as currently defined, while allowing Villa Skip which very much should be considered an out of bounds movement under  that ruleset. A tighter definition of the glitch types, instances of them, would be very good since the current definition of the ruleset is fairly poor for OoB and WW designations and this is the perfect time to discuss this while the community is enthused about the new glitches being found.

After we make a ruling I think we should have a page on ZSR clearly stating each trick, what "rule" it falls under, and a video of it.  This way in the future it is easier to document some of the lesser known tricks newer runners like myself might not even be aware of.

On top of this there's also the S&Q and No S&Q distinction which I'm conflicted on. I feel it's an antiquated holdover that doesn't add much to the run as a rule, however for LADX it does add an interesting mechanic - the piece of power - that becomes a cool mechanism for further mastery of the game at higher levels.

I feel like now that LA is becoming more "broken" there is room for S&Q again.  I think before it was a very similar route to the LA run.  Now that LA is changing a lot, I feel having somewhere to show off that "style" of route could be fun.  The fact that No SQ and SQ sync up after Mambo is sad, because it makes a lot of the run similar route wise, where without it the route would be a lot more interesting.  I'm not saying we should, but I think a Mamboless category could be fun to route  Shocked

-------------

That all being said, I am not 100% on the definitions as much as Tompa is with his TAS knowledge, and I don't have as much refinement of the game in its current state of Zorlax, Leon, or hell even Gio.  I can't articulate it, but the fact the Walrus CAN be walked out of with a simple thing as "get PoP" makes a lot of sense allowing it.  Some other things like Frog Song Skip and that swag "Flame Skip Strat 2" with the odd damage boost into an object can not be lined up and achieved as easily.  This also makes me feel the tricks that should not be allowed would include: the non hookshot jump in D8 (using the rope to bounce), the TAS strat of using the bomb mushroom to damage boost over water on the way to Animal Village, this new style of flame skip, Frog Song Skip.... but allow Walrus skip.

I for one don't want to grind another "rng" part of the run but I think it would add another level of depth and skill to a potential record where perfect execution and prefect RNG would/can/has produced VERY solid times worthy of praise.

TLDR:  I think Walrus skip should be allowed, flame skip II and frog song would NOT.
I suggest we make a ZSR page outlining each trick and how it is currently "categorized" with a video showing each one in more detail for future runners and just for library/history sake.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 01:34:34 AM by oseabass » Logged
aulos
Regular Guay

Diddle-Y-A-Doo-Dat

Email
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2015, 03:06:48 PM »

To me that approach is really not ideal, I mean even if at the end of the day we need to figure it out on a case-by-case basis, we at least need a guideline to use. Preferably it should be as clear as possible.
I agree with you, it is really not ideal, but I just wanted to bring the idea of a possible name change, which could be simply used until we finally agree on a good definition.

I suggest we make a ZSR page outlining each trick and how it is currently "categorized" with a video showing each one in more detail for future runners and just for library/history sake.

Yeah I pretty much want to make that too, and even mention the very little tricks, or difference between LA and DX. Making video wouldn't be that annoying since some of us has already made a lot of those.
SurrealGuy
Deku Scrub

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2015, 06:26:15 PM »

I think most of us like the "main category" as it is now. Problem with Walrus skip is, that the digging is really rng-heavy and the execution doesn't seem too easy too. That might scare some runners (including me).
I always compare this topic with when the YBA glitch in ALTTP was found. Many runners were upset, because they liked the main category how it was and didn't want to change it, so they just let the category be what it was, but renamed it to "no major glitches" (we could do that too, but i would consider Villa skip and maybe dethyl skip as a major glitch).

No matter how we will decide this, I'll probably just stick to the old route(/category) and run that.
However, if we now decide, that we rename the main category to legacy% or so and then an easier (non-rng) method of walrus skip was discovered (we never know what this game has to offer), many of us may think: "Why isn't this used in legacy%?"

The thing with OoB tricks is that more and more strats will be discovered that will break the game even more and we have got the same discussion again. I would vote for an any% glitchless category (or "no major glitches", just have to decide if Villa skip is considered a huge glitch)
Drenn
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2015, 01:51:44 AM »

Maybe we need a "no major glitch" category as well as a crazy busted category with walrus, dethyl, villa, even frog song skips. I'd certainly enjoy messing around with that kinda stuff, though it can be frustrating, so a no major glitches category would make sense too. Just a thought.
Disclude
Deku Scrub

« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2015, 01:55:26 AM »

I personally really like how the main category is currently without walrus skip. I don't think we should change any of the rules on the tricks we do currently, as I don't feel like any of them are OoB or WW's. Basically, OoB in my eyes is moving through/into a block you normally couldn't with clipping. This is why I feel the turtle rock boss clip is fine, but I'm iffy on walrus skip due to only being able to get out of it with PoP.
My opinion currently is to not allow walrus skip in No S+Q mostly because of the unknown about it, but I feel like since you're only able to do it with PoP, it's not really a matter of it being a clip, you're just inside the sprite.
As for the other tricks like Frog Song Skip, and the other flame thrower skip, I don't think they should be allowed in the main category as they're obvious OoB tricks.
These are just my opinions on these matters.
ZorlaxSeven
Deku Scrub

« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2015, 02:43:45 AM »

Honestly, this thread is 70% about Walrus Skip in No S&Q, so I will be addressing that right now.

One of the main things we have been severely neglecting is the impact allowing this has on the runners themselves. The thing I have noticed with nearly (if not 100%) of all active runners (so this does not include TAS-er's or people who haven't run, in say... 6months+) is that no one wants to do this glitch. Nobody likes it, and that speaks volumes to how we should decide. In fact, I know 4 people personally, who have said that they will stop running this game altogether if this gets allowed in S&Q. This is a huge deal right here. The community does not like the glitch, and we, as a community, make the rules that we run with. If we do something that causes people to leave, we are shooting are community in the foot, right as we are beginning to grow and gain volume. In addition, we will be scaring off new people from our community with this. While there is always talk of doing a "beginner route" and an "advanced route," I know that when I was a beginner, I did not want to learn the easy way of playing the game, and that has always been my attitude when it comes to speedrunning. It will take THAT much longer to actually get up to a competitive level, if you start with a different route.

We can hide behind rules, semantics, and prior wordings all we want, but at this point, there is still not enough evidence to call this "allowed" or "not allowed" given our current ruleset. Since the Walrus Clip can be viewed either way, I think we should listen to the community's actual feeling on the matter, rather than the possibility of maybe being technically correct. And this is what speedrunning is, a community deciding on a set of arbitrary rules to play the game with. There is no hand forcing us to disallow something. A major example in other communities I can think of is Super Mario World No Cap 95 exit. 96 Exit No Cape is POSSIBLE, but very hard to do and would scare off many people from the category, so they modified the category to make it more accessible. I was once told that "we don't want to be like SMW," but I see no reason to do so. In addition, YBA in LttP has also been mentioned.

There are other things to think about too: not allowing Walrus Clip can FINALLY lead to a notable difference between S&Q and No S&Q. Up to this point, I always thought that having both categories was superfluous at best. That would mean that there are 3(!) major ways of playing this game: No S&Q (DX), S&Q(DX), S&Q(Orig). If we allowed the clip, S&Q and No S&Q will become more or less the same. Also this Clip would make racing less fun, and we would be doing a different route anyways. Same goes for marathon runs. I think when you have to majorly modify your routing to speedrun in different media, the quality of the game as a speedgame goes down somewhat.

And because I dont know how to quote, Seabass, if RNG goes up, Skill/Optimization of runs goes down.

TLDR:
We, the community decide the rules. A large proportion of the community does not like Walrus Skip in No S&Q. We should disallow it for that reason [and the rules would not look "ridiculous" because we don't know if it's OoB or not.]

Thank you.
Deln
Deku Scrub

« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2015, 09:01:49 PM »

1. it should be allowed in s+q no doubt because reasons.

2. nobody know if the trick is actually oob or not, if nobody know for sure id say to not allow it.

that's how i see it.
Riddler
Regular Guay

« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2015, 09:24:06 PM »

Honestly, this thread is 70% about Walrus Skip in No S&Q, so I will be addressing that right now.

One of the main things we have been severely neglecting is the impact allowing this has on the runners themselves. The thing I have noticed with nearly (if not 100%) of all active runners (so this does not include TAS-er's or people who haven't run, in say... 6months+) is that no one wants to do this glitch. Nobody likes it, and that speaks volumes to how we should decide. In fact, I know 4 people personally, who have said that they will stop running this game altogether if this gets allowed in S&Q. This is a huge deal right here. The community does not like the glitch, and we, as a community, make the rules that we run with. If we do something that causes people to leave, we are shooting are community in the foot, right as we are beginning to grow and gain volume. In addition, we will be scaring off new people from our community with this. While there is always talk of doing a "beginner route" and an "advanced route," I know that when I was a beginner, I did not want to learn the easy way of playing the game, and that has always been my attitude when it comes to speedrunning. It will take THAT much longer to actually get up to a competitive level, if you start with a different route.

We can hide behind rules, semantics, and prior wordings all we want, but at this point, there is still not enough evidence to call this "allowed" or "not allowed" given our current ruleset. Since the Walrus Clip can be viewed either way, I think we should listen to the community's actual feeling on the matter, rather than the possibility of maybe being technically correct. And this is what speedrunning is, a community deciding on a set of arbitrary rules to play the game with. There is no hand forcing us to disallow something. A major example in other communities I can think of is Super Mario World No Cap 95 exit. 96 Exit No Cape is POSSIBLE, but very hard to do and would scare off many people from the category, so they modified the category to make it more accessible. I was once told that "we don't want to be like SMW," but I see no reason to do so. In addition, YBA in LttP has also been mentioned.

There are other things to think about too: not allowing Walrus Clip can FINALLY lead to a notable difference between S&Q and No S&Q. Up to this point, I always thought that having both categories was superfluous at best. That would mean that there are 3(!) major ways of playing this game: No S&Q (DX), S&Q(DX), S&Q(Orig). If we allowed the clip, S&Q and No S&Q will become more or less the same. Also this Clip would make racing less fun, and we would be doing a different route anyways. Same goes for marathon runs. I think when you have to majorly modify your routing to speedrun in different media, the quality of the game as a speedgame goes down somewhat.

And because I dont know how to quote, Seabass, if RNG goes up, Skill/Optimization of runs goes down.

TLDR:
We, the community decide the rules. A large proportion of the community does not like Walrus Skip in No S&Q. We should disallow it for that reason [and the rules would not look "ridiculous" because we don't know if it's OoB or not.]

Thank you.
I see this the same way, a speedrunning COMMUNITY should decide the rules for the game that they enjoy playing, and when there are things such as this new walrus skip and the bow wow skip that the majority of the players do not like, we need to have a discussion such as the ones in these forums, expressing the fact that this trick will tear our community apart.

In my eyes, The Walrus Skip should definitely be allowed in the S+Q category, but not in the main No S+Q category. Since there is still a lot of grey area in what we call OOB, I think that the trick should not be allowed in the main category, and I think most of the rest of the community agrees.

I also would like to point out that yes,this community is beginning to grow a lot, and this game is becoming more and more popular. I think that adding tricks like this would
A: Cause current runners to leave the category(s), or even the game
B:Scare off new runners, and prevent others from trying to run
C: Obliterate what we have of this current LA/LADX community.
ZorlaxSeven
Deku Scrub

« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2015, 09:49:38 PM »

I guess I should also reply to some recent counterpoints I have heard to what I said. Most notably that the Paper Mario or DK64 communities have had similar issues as what we're having in regarding Walrus Skip.  In our case right now, we're not outright banning something that is difficult, like.. say Rooster Skip, Boot Strats, or even PoP routing, but we would be banning something that is borderline (at best), which is already already deterring people in our community and creating schism between runners. So we're not banning tricks because "we don't like them", but we're banning something in a way where it could fit with our current ruleset anyways.

[And if we're worried about backlash regarding our community and the outside opinion of our community regarding this decision, I am pretty sure that no one really will notice, since we're so small.]
Marinsgloryhole
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2015, 10:16:01 PM »

If Zorlax isn't a cheater I will eat my hat on stream. Stop being a bitch and play your videogame.
Flynn
Regular Guay

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2015, 10:31:57 PM »

So let's actually be honest about this subject. If walrus skip gets banned it will actually have nothing to do with it being a potential OoB, and is entirely about people not liking the trick. This is just how it is, I know multiple members of the community have stated that by our ruleset walrus skip in no s+q should be allowed, but still want it to be banned. And while I disagree, I don't necessarily see this as a bad thing. If the entirely community wants to ban something because they don't like it, that's fine go ahead. But let's be honest about why we're doing it.

I know this will be an unpopular opinion, but I like the idea of either allowing it in both s+q and no s+q, or disallowing it in both categories. Again, this is really just about people not liking the trick, so category ruleset doesn't so much matter. I also think that allowing it in s+q but banning it in no s+q would make s+q an even more dead category than it already is. Based on how many people said they'd stop running if this was allowed, what DX runners would actually run s+q seriously now and do this trick (special case being drenn). Most people won't entirely based on the fact that they can just run no s+q, because the route is still largely the same and they get a 'get out of jail free' card for a difficult trick because they just happen to belong to the majority category of the community.

I know whatever the ruling is for no s+q, I will probably mimic in LA. Again, because this has nothing to do with OoBs anymore. And whatever the community decides I'll back them, regardless whether or not I agree with it
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: