ZSR Forums
March 28, 2024, 10:13:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: LA/DX Trick Library  (Read 26639 times)
greentunic
Deku Scrub

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2015, 11:22:18 PM »

Following on from my previous post on nightmare text skip...

I have found a way to skip it that will not softlock the game and is really simple to do!
Easy 10+ second timesave Smiley

Here's the vid:

http://www.twitch.tv/greentunic/c/6474167

(I'm pretty sure bombs are the key thing here so make sure to mash whichever button you have them equipped to)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 11:46:07 PM by greentunic » Logged
Riddler
Regular Guay

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2015, 01:41:10 AM »

nice dude Wink
LoenP
Regular Guay

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2015, 12:13:50 PM »

in an effort to not do school work I messed around with it and found something weird. It doesn't seem to be a simple case of mashing or dropping x bombs by y time span upon falling. I've found a consistent method to make it work doing buffers which may shed light on how the trick works:

when you fall in the whole and the next screen loads, map buffer. Inventory buffer out of leaving the map, drop a bomb into another inventory buffer. Inventory buffer again and then drop another bomb and it should work (dropping 2 bombs within 2 frames of eachother??).

Very very weird. here's some cluttered chat log with my thoughts

hmm
[7:19:46 AM] Leon P: it seems to be a mashing thing
[7:19:49 AM] Leon P: for interest I'm usin turbo
[7:19:52 AM] Leon P: and hasn't failed once

[7:22:26 AM] Leon P: doesn't seem tied to bomb count
[7:22:40 AM] Leon P: there are times when I drop 4 and it does work and times when I drop 4 and it doesn't
[7:22:53 AM] Leon P: doing it manually
[7:27:50 AM] Leon P: I mashed hella fast and didn't get it
[7:27:53 AM] Leon P: I mashed slower and got it

[7:31:45 AM] Leon P: I'm guessing it's not a sprite or memory overload thing
[7:32:17 AM] Leon P: b/c I've gotten contradictory results by going with bomb dropped amount
[7:32:54 AM] Leon P: and then there's inconsistencies in mash speed that have gotten contradictory results as well, in the few tests I've done

[7:33:45 AM] Leon P: maybe using a bomb on the frame the cutscene is supposed to be loaded cancels it or something? this sounds like something for drenn/tompa/mab
[7:34:36 AM] Leon P: which would explain why using the turbo worked 100% of the time, but at times manual mashing had different outcomes
[7:35:23 AM] Leon P: I don't know about the specifics on how it does work but it feels to me like it is a target frame thing and not just a simple case of mashing. At least that's my guess

[7:36:39 AM] Leon P: so messing around further
[7:36:47 AM] Leon P: it just worked by releasing only 2 bombs using turbo
[7:37:10 AM] Leon P: and doing the same thing in different timings doesn't work

[7:49:16 AM] Leon P: something bugs me though
[7:49:16 AM] Leon P: that turbo works 100%
[7:49:16 AM] Leon P: when turbo isn't 60hz in BGB
[7:49:16 AM] Leon P: so I don't think it's just 1 frame
mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2015, 12:01:44 PM »

[7:49:16 AM] Leon P: something bugs me though
[7:49:16 AM] Leon P: that turbo works 100%
[7:49:16 AM] Leon P: when turbo isn't 60hz in BGB
[7:49:16 AM] Leon P: so I don't think it's just 1 frame

If a game reads input 60 times a second, then the fastest you can mash is half that at 30Hz. The reason is simple... all 8 buttons (that's adding the 4 d-pad directions) have only two states: 0 (not pressed) and 1 (pressed). To register a new button press, the button state must transition from 0 to 1. If you were to mash at 60Hz, the input stream would look something like 11111... which is no different from holding a button down.

BTW, what frame rate is this game, and how often is input polled?

Quote from:  Leigh Rogers
Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.
LoenP
Regular Guay

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2015, 01:46:26 AM »

The game is 60fps, I do not know about input polling but I'm assuming the same

Also the bomb trick seems to be activated by dropping a bomb 1 frame after you've just dropped one. However I get the impression there are factors that might effect it other than that, it might be me not accounting for in-game lag, maybe?

Easy buffer method is to press bomb button and open inventory, this is much easier than it sounds because the inventory screen creates lag or stops in game time?? There's a (relatively) very large real time window from pressing bomb button until opening inventory. You then complete it by buffering another bomb drop upon leaving the inventory menu.

Edit: I just actually considered what you meant in your post and hmm that would explain a lot of things and also rule out dropping bombs 1 frame in a row? Given what I know then I'm guessing it's a matter of dropping 2 bombs within a short time span? What a weird slippery trigger
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 05:03:44 AM by LoenP » Logged
Riddler
Regular Guay

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2015, 07:46:22 AM »

Gonna Update this post with a playlist of all my recently found strats, some vids in this playlist have been posted on other threads but these all belong in the library so here it is: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL41DwVGHiJlpY9LaUvfwuk9s5LGHnsDLU
Riddler
Regular Guay

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2015, 12:35:47 AM »

Hey again, Just finished writing out the new LADX Route, so if anyone is learning or is Looking for the new strats here they are: https://t.co/YDY46Zjwiy
SurrealGuy
Deku Scrub

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2015, 08:50:48 AM »

Nice guide/route Riddler!  Smiley

I just did a quick guide on how to do the Blob Quick Kill ("standing method") for when you get the Nightmare text skip.
I saw people not knowing how to do this method for the text skip fight and doing the Powder or Spinslash method instead. This Quick kill is fairly easy, but there's also luck involved like always (i think we'll never find a 100% consistent method  Cry ).

Video:  http://www.twitch.tv/surrealguy/c/6774683
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: