ZSR Forums
March 29, 2024, 07:48:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Death on Stairs = Run is Invalid? Discuss.  (Read 29712 times)
mabdulra
Regular Guay

Game Boy

« on: February 12, 2015, 05:05:20 PM »

Originally, we had timing end when you touched the staircase. Back in the day, you had to defeat Dethyl, so this made sense as it was the last input that could ensure that you would beat the game. Timing started on file select and ended when you lost control of Link as he entered the final cutscene. JRTA timing is a little different in that they ended on the final input, which is during the final cutscene.

However, we then found Dethyl Skip. Dethyl Skip meant that you didn't have to fight the final boss, yay! But it came with a problem: after touching the stairs, it is possible to take damage. Because of this, it's possible to die before reaching the final cutscene, and thus you will never reach the credits. Previously it was ruled that timing ended at stairs, even if you die after. I propose we change this.

Timing will stay the same, but if you die then you have not beaten the game. I am willing to go through every single old LA and LADX run to ensure that this is the case. This will invalidate many runs, including my own runs, and I'm okay with that.

I would very much like the community to decide on this swiftly. If every runner of a particular category agrees to it, then I can start with that category. We don't need to worry about JRTA here, because in JRTA timing if you die on stairs the run is dead anyway.

This will mostly affect the shorter categories, namely Any% and All Instruments, since you beat those categories with 3 hearts only.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 05:42:44 PM by mabdulra » Logged
Flynn
Regular Guay

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 05:14:26 PM »

I can see this being a very unpopular change for some and I totally understand that. But the fact is that this is a very outdated rule and should have likely been discussed a while ago. As someone who started as an any% runner and threw away all runs that died on the stairs, including one that beats the current any% wr, I actually support this change. It's a kind of tricky subject as as far as I know the rules don't actually state that dying on the stairs count, it just says that timing ends there and after dethyl skip was found we just kinda interpreted it how we wanted. This is why I've always said I prefer jrta timing over ours.

Interested in hearing feedback about this.
Drenn
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 05:25:19 PM »

I definitely approve of invalidating runs that don't reach the credits, as an all instruments runner. I still think it's a bit weird for a run to die after time, but this is probably the best solution which doesn't involve retiming old runs.
Flynn
Regular Guay

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 05:36:26 PM »

So this is a part of a post Giuo made a while back when rules were reconsidered.

"The only one of these tricks currently used by any run on the leaderboard is the walk-on-ceiling glitch. Because this is only a tiny 5 second time saver, we have decided that any run posted before this data (august 16) that uses it can remain there. However, new submissions are forbidden from using this trick."

I feel like this could be fair if we go forward with a rule change, and it shows that we as a community can make changes to rules and continue on.
mabdulra
Regular Guay

Game Boy

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 05:42:34 PM »

So this is a part of a post Giuo made a while back when rules were reconsidered.

"The only one of these tricks currently used by any run on the leaderboard is the walk-on-ceiling glitch. Because this is only a tiny 5 second time saver, we have decided that any run posted before this data (august 16) that uses it can remain there. However, new submissions are forbidden from using this trick."

I feel like this could be fair if we go forward with a rule change, and it shows that we as a community can make changes to rules and continue on.

I think I can agree with this, and talking with others on Skype, this seems to be the best option. It means we have to go ham with verifying, but we should do that anyway. It may seem strange to some at first that old runs with the old rules are allowed, but I'll use a real-world sports example:

Table Tennis' ruleset were revised in 2000-2002 in order to change ball size. They also changed the games from a 21-point system to an 11-point system. Serve rotation was changed from 5 points to 2. Real sports change rules whenever something comes up, and for LA/DX this is something that has come up and deserves to be re-evaluated. That said, none of the old Table Tennis records were invalidated because of this. As such, I will take back my opinion on invalidating old runs, and simply settle to have rules change for future runs.
giuocob
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 07:22:32 PM »

I very much dislike the idea of a timing structure that allows a run to become invalidated after it has completed. It makes no sense conceptually, and as far as I know, is without precedent in any other speedrun game. If this is a problem, it would be better to change the end timing to a point after which Link cannot die. Maybe after the screen fades to white, or some point during the ending cutscene - doesn't really matter where exactly, as long as it's past the point where Dethyl can kill Link.
LoenP
Regular Guay

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 08:53:21 PM »

I agree with giuo; if we're going to change the rule on dying on stairs (or formalize it? I know it was talked about before with people not liking the idea of dying but a run completing) we should change the end timing to where it's not possible to die. Easy choices imo is when the screen fades to white when link reaches the top of the stairs, or when the instruments appear to align with the J community timing and having the run end at last input (although the start timing would still be different).

I like option 2 a lot better in a vacuum but I feel that throws an issue with how to deal with past runs, since there are a few where the runner (reasonably so) responds to chat or doesn't stay in speedrun mode during the final few text sequences, notably Zorlax's current best. With others it would be a matter of retiming the last 20s or so and adding the additional time onto their recorded time, but idk. It feels unfair to those who did the speedrun but didn't keep speedrunning the windfish dialogue and the only way to remedy that would be to just give a reasonable average/figure on how long the sequence should take and just sum that onto the times of people who didn't  do that, but that solutions has issues, lol.

Other option being on fade to white at top of stairs, is easy, readily translatable as a static time figure, and can simply be added onto every current run's time with accuracy and fairness.
tHeObLiViNaToR
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 09:05:37 PM »

I don't care either way what the decision is since I don't run this game seriously at all. I went ahead and asked a few members of the Japanese community what they thought using Google Translate and combined there responses here.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 09:20:52 PM by tHeObLiViNaToR » Logged
aulos
Regular Guay

Diddle-Y-A-Doo-Dat

Email
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 09:14:37 PM »

I agree with the idea of splitting when the instruments appear, it had always seemed logical in my head that it was when the "true" last input was pressed. But I don't think it would be so much unfair. I mean, sometimes we have to change the rules in order to progress, and changes aren't that bad.

Also Zorlax has deleted his time from the leaderboard so this won't be a problem haha.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 11:32:54 PM by aulos » Logged
Flynn
Regular Guay

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 10:13:28 PM »

Other option being on fade to white at top of stairs, is easy, readily translatable as a static time figure, and can simply be added onto every current run's time with accuracy and fairness.

This feels rather fair to me.
Disclude
Deku Scrub

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 10:19:49 PM »

I definitely agree that dying on stairs should be an invalid run, since the point is to reach the credits as fast as possible, and to end time on the last meaningful input, but if you die, you don't reach the credits.

In my eyes, touching the stairs is THE last meaningful input, since you can avoid death on the stairs, even with 1/2 a heart, you're in control of whether you die or not there based on how you control dethyl's position at the end. I don't know much about that cause I've never had to deal with it, just going on what I've seen others say in skype lol

I'm fine with changing the timing as well, I just think it's easier, and makes more sense to me the first way.
Rapid_
Regular Guay

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 12:04:51 AM »

I agree with the timing ending when the screen fades to white.

As for previous runs, please invalidate them. The point of speedrunning is to BEAT the game as fast as possible -- it becomes a matter of contradiction when validating runs that have not legitimately beaten the game. To 'beat the game' should be defined as "reaching the credits is no longer reversible."
Drenn
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 02:32:21 AM »

Changing timing to fade-to-white also seems like a good solution. Though I don't see the merit in changing timing to the point where you hold the instruments up, unless we want to go full JRTA. It seems not quite fair to past runners who didn't mash through that part. Of course, we could go with adding the "average" time it takes, but this gets a lot more messy from my perspective.
Flynn
Regular Guay

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2015, 03:46:48 AM »

<LeafeonZ>: but ending on fade to white is my vote
<LeafeonZ>: in second is keeping time on stairs, and if you die, it doesn't count, and in last is dying on stairs counting
<LeafeonZ>: oh, but that's still ahead ending time where JRTA ends it

On behalf of leafeon on irc, I hope he doesn't mind me reposting him.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 04:00:25 AM by Flynn » Logged
greentunic
Deku Scrub

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 04:53:00 AM »

The idea of changing the rules to death on stairs making a run invalid sounds like a good idea to me.
It feels weird to have a run be counted as a world record which ends on a Game over screen (as happened with mine - which I have since replaced with a tied time that actually reaches credits)
As for when the timer should stop... to avoid any more confusion, waiting for the fade to white animation at the top of the stairs makes a lot of sense even if it would mean a lot of re-timed runs and such.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: