ZSR Forums
April 26, 2024, 05:55:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dodongo's Cavern Timesaver  (Read 3366 times)
Otaku
Deku Scrub

< ^ > < ^ >

« on: February 11, 2015, 01:00:13 AM »

Hi all! First post here, I'm Otaku (also known as OtakuSRL) and I'm a big OOT fanatic and I recently started seriously running All Medallions. I've been watching OOT for two years but never really liked any% much in terms of learning it but All Medallions has always been in the back of my mind since I watched a recording of Cosmo's All Medallions run at the NumberSMW marathon. The technical details of how RBA and WW works fascinates me, and I think it's a great run for commentary and a great run that people can enjoy watching all the way through. I think maybe like a year or longer back I brought it up to him and he said it's "nothing to take seriously". Oops. My Twitch profile is now covered with medallions and I'm loving the run. Haha.

Anyways, I discovered this a little bit before I started running All Medallions and wasn't too sure if it could be used for any categories and the Reddit community stated in maybe bingo or some odd category, but I realized after I started All Medallions that it could be used to save quite a bit of time (ironic and lucky I suppose) when I enter that area and I figured I would post it to hopefully help others if they could use it. I've also done this to the entrance of Dodongo's Cavern as Child Link, although it doesn't apply to me with the category I'm running at the moment so it's very possible this could be used in other areas of the game where a bomb or something else (other methods of superslide) triggers a cutscene to begin.

For doing this I used the MQ debug rom with the Nayru's Love superslide method but I'm pretty certain it could work with a normal superslide. I haven't tried it much but when I did the bombs were either too far away from the door to trigger the explosion and the cutscene or too close that Link picks up the bombs. However since I can manage to both blow up the door and not pick up the bombs using Nayru's Love (and the hitboxes are the same still) I'm going to assume it will work regardless with enough focus, practice, and precision which I haven't put into that method yet.

This saves at least 9 seconds + the time of movement to wherever you're aiming Link towards or wherever your destination is. In this case my destination would be the switch on the right (looking in through the main door), so I would aim to the right so I could either be at the ladder when the cutscene is over or be by the platform when it ends. Lava can still be an issue and will stop your superslide, but the superslide carries you on the borders of the lava which I believe is in enough that you do not take damage from the lava area. I did both of these as Child Link and I tried it normally with Adult Link so hopefully it's not impossible with Adult Link. The second video uses the bomb flowers but I realized at most points there you won't be able to use those anyhow, but the second video is included as it shows the more angled movement which can put you right near any ladder on either side. All of these can also automatically skip the Navi text if your desired position is far enough in, respectively.

Video 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS6MitUFf0g
Video 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aV8AhmFNQQ
Bonus Video (Outside of Dodongo's Cavern Timesaver, if possible at the time) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axJ7IuB-uCY

ZSR has been very helpful towards me through-out the years and I hope this helps other, too.

Best regards,
Otaku.
Exodus122
Regular Guay

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 01:12:20 AM »

It's already known that you can superslide there, sorry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa7tq4vCamA

Otaku
Deku Scrub

< ^ > < ^ >

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 01:25:50 AM »

It's already known that you can superslide there, sorry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa7tq4vCamA

Ahh, oh well. Never saw that before and nobody pointed it out on the Reddit thread for the couple of weeks it has been there. Maybe it will still be of some use with this thread and a little more exposure, so I guess I'll leave it up for the details or whatever. Thanks for the post. Although he did use the bombchu I believe (it was a bit quick to follow and the bomb was far away), and I was more focused on the fact that you can use the same bomb to explode the wall and to execute the superslide on basically the same frame or whatever, where as he did it from a further range away and used a bombchu to explode the wall. Might be better for a RTA run using this method, whether it be time-wise or difficulty-wise.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: