ZSR Forums
April 25, 2024, 09:06:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Ocarina of Time Leaderboard Tiers Discussion  (Read 19320 times)
Piticarus
Deku Scrub

« on: February 06, 2015, 12:44:36 AM »

Lately people have been arguing about how categories will change with the new glitch: http://pastebin.com/69Jkkp6r

What I propose is that we seperate the ZSR Ocarina of Time Leaderboards into Tiers to discourage more restrictions/weird goals near the top and have more fun based categories towards the bottom. Here's how I might group it.

Tier 1
- Any% (new name to consider?)
- All Dungeons (or something simliar)
- All Quests (a super epic name for 100%)

**idea** make it so you need a video to be able to submit to tier 1?

Tier 2
- Warpless (no ww)
- MST
- No RBA/WW
- Ganonless

Tier 3
- All Medallions
- MSB
- No RBA/WW with Early Light Arrows
- All Cows?
- Ect.

With this system we would naturally encourage more Tier 1 and Tier 2 competition and relevance but still wouldn't discourage people from branching out into new categories and having fun.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 04:53:46 AM by mzxrules » Logged
Fenyan
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 01:15:09 AM »

I was following the discussion on IRC and came up with an idea to create tiers of categories without "grading" them by a number. My suggestion would be actual names for the tiers, like

- "Completion" or something (any%, 100%)
- "Restriction" (e.g. AD = Beat all dungeons before beating the game, noWW: Beat game without using Wrong Warp etc.)
- "Special Goals" like All Cows, Child Dungeons.

That would prevent people from fighting over which category is more important/relevant/popular, and still improve clarity of the leaderboards.
The names could obviously look completely different, this was just a first idea.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 01:17:00 AM by Fenyan » Logged
Piticarus
Deku Scrub

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 01:26:22 AM »

- "Restriction" (e.g. AD = Beat all dungeons before beating the game, noWW: Beat game without using Wrong Warp etc.

I agree this might be a better way to organize the tiers, but I do think All Dungeons should be tier 1 since it isn't restrictive, its simply 2 goals. Beat all the dungeons and beat ganon
Tr621
Regular Guay

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 02:00:57 AM »

My thoughts:

Tier 1/Completion Categories:
-Any%
-All Dungeons
-100%/All Quests (100% is a better name but w/e)

Tier 2/Restriction Categories:
-Warpless/No Wrong Warp
-No Major Glitches (RBA/WW/new glitch)
-Glitchless
-Ganonless
-MST

Tier 3/Alternate Categories:
-No RBA/WW (with the new glitch)
-All Medallions or MSB, I don't think we should have both, and imo MSB is better but it needs a new name
-Reverse Dungeon Order? (w/o rba but w/ the new glitch, also no trials)

I don't think we should include categories that don't beat the game like All Cows or Child Dungeons.

"I once stored a quick draw on my sword without de-equipping the bottle in my hand in an attempt to bottle dupe over sword. Didn't work." - nathanisbored, 2013

----

lol us da beg key
scaramanga
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 07:34:59 AM »

I agree this might be a better way to organize the tiers, but I do think All Dungeons should be tier 1 since it isn't restrictive, its simply 2 goals. Beat all the dungeons and beat ganon

Wouldn't the same apply to MST?

-100%/All Quests (100% is a better name but w/e)

I agree. 100% doesn't do all quests, which would - in my opinion -  include ones, that have an effect (e.g. cow in house, planting all the beans) and useless ones (e.g. Running Man mini game).
Also "Warpless" for no WW might be a bit misleading, as triggering the blue lights and using warp songs are warps and can't be banned.
Saltor
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 07:42:40 AM »

I love this tiering idea, especially having a Tier 3 with All Medallions, All Cows, No Doors, etc. OoT is such a crazy glitched and optimized game that silly categories are a lot of fun too Smiley

Personally I'd prefer MST to be in tier 1 over AD, since I feel like it's more active than AD is.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 07:48:38 AM by Saltor » Logged
WTHH
Deku Scrub

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 05:40:38 PM »

I like the tier idea and I think fenyan's idea for names is pretty good. I also think that documenting more times for the more fun and popular categories can never be a bad thing, even if it's in an "unofficial tier." More routes is always more fun.

I also think the tier 1 should be the most popular short, medium and long category. So basically any%, 100% and whatever medium category we end up with (no rba/ww, mst, all dungeons, S2G6T3GFE2).
Zefie
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 05:53:58 PM »

I'm really not sure if tiering categories does anything even remotely useful. What's the functional difference to just having all the categories in a list? The community already makes category elitism pretty clear on its own, the leaderboard isn't necessary to reflect that. If anything I think it should be strictly by number of runners, since anything else is pretty arbitrary, especially whether or not something goes in tier 2 or 3.

P.S. MSB goes in T2, MST goes in T3
Saltor
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 07:10:19 PM »

I'm really not sure if tiering categories does anything even remotely useful. What's the functional difference to just having all the categories in a list? The community already makes category elitism pretty clear on its own, the leaderboard isn't necessary to reflect that.

I think you're right that the tiering doesn't add that much direct value, but I think it appeals to people anyways for a few reasons:

1. Some people have argued that leaderboards should only be for "legit categories," and have even suggested removing no rba/ww  / ganonless. By clearly delineating a few categories as "tier 1," you can satisfy those people without giving up leaderboards for arbitrary/fun categories.

2. For people not familiar with oot categories, this indicates to them the prestige level of various categories, similar to the way some leaderboards right now default to a category other than any%-- e.g. MQ defaults to no rba/ww, ALttP defaults to No Major glitches, Links Awakening defaults to Warpless. It saves the oot community from having to clear up the confusion of so many categories when anyone asks.

3. At least with the current leaderboards UI, having many more categories would simply be unwieldy. The drop down menu would get far too large. By shoving all of the "for fun" or less serious categories into tier 3, we can keep the more competitive categories from getting lost / hard to find.
EverAlert
Regular Guay

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2015, 03:38:45 AM »

Since Droma suggested it I'll give a short introduction: Hi, I'm EverAlert/EVAL but most people call me EA. I've been active since mid-2012, but lurking since around 2004/2005. I'm mainly knowledgeable about MST, No Wrong Warp, Max% Child and I've done tons of bingo.

Anyway, I really like this idea. I think it will help the serious categories be more competitive by drawing attention to them, while at the same time creating an opportunity to have a leaderboard for the more "for fun" or race categories.

For that reason I kinda feel like only two tiers are needed. I'll add an optional separation of my 2nd tier in case that doesn't sit well with anyone, though. Ordered by run length:

Tier 1 / Competitive Categories
- Any%
- No Wrong Warp (historical importance as previous major any%; has been gaining popularity recently)
- No RBA/WW/GIM (most competitive category aside from any% by far)
- All Dungeons (sensibly-defined variant of mst; very unique despite goal similarities)
- Medallions/Stones/Trials (historical importance as the original "no major skips"; extremely popular in the past and regaining popularity recently)
- Glitchless (a variant of any%; limiting almost all glitches in such a broken game makes this very unique)
- 100%

Tier 2a / Race Categories (that beat the game)
- Ganonless
- No RBA/WW
- All Medallions
- Medallions/Stones/Barrier
- 5 Boss Edition
- Reverse Dungeon Order
- etc.

Tier 2b / Race Categories (that don't beat the game)
- Master Sword
- Child Dungeons RBA
- Child Dungeons
- Nocturne No RBA
- All Gold Skulltulas
- etc.

I realize most will disagree, but I feel categories that don't beat the game definitely have a place in the "for fun" tier. As an activity I see speedrunning as completing any goal in a game as fast as possible, not just strictly game-winning goals. Aside from that, I feel anything from Jbop's spreadsheet could be suitable for tier 2; for the list I just picked the ones I felt were most prominent or interesting.

About naming, I'm not suggesting we call No RBA/WW with or without the new trick by the names I put here, I just wrote what made sense for clarity. Also, please do not call No Wrong Warp "Warpless", lol.

Extra thought: leaderboard for individual levels?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 04:52:06 AM by EverAlert » Logged
Audacity7
Deku Scrub

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2015, 04:22:34 AM »

Posting for people who do not have forum accounts.

Dromaslyvia:

"Hey i'm droma, i've been running OoT for 2 years now, i've top time in lot of categories including best time for no ww and all medallions. Also i've done 100~ bingo or something)

Sorry if this is long lol.
I've been thinking about ZSR's categories for a while now and theres definetly something to be worked on. I like the way it is on the website now but i think we can do a little better =)

Bassicly when i was working on all medallion and trying to be good at that, lot of people (goes from random stream monster to not so random member of this community) would not understand why i run this "silly" category since it's not represented on ZSR. Some people would make fun of me or call me a WR whore saying i'd run this just so i get wr lol. They would say the category is fake and not worth carring about even if they never tried to run it.

But here is the thing, as long as one person run a category, it's not fake. As long as 2 people run it, it become competitive.

All medallion got some cool history behind it, if you think the category just happenned and that its easy to get good time in it, well you're wrong.
Sera (japanese runner) took the original route from SVA and reworked it (idk if cosmo did some routing adjustment at some point but maybe that too). He put lot of work into making it faster and getting decent run from it. then CMA improved it even more and started optimizing it. Then thats when i started playing it and i improved the route too. Also more recently sniping figured out some stuff and got good runs.
People worked on that route a lot, practiced it and tried to get good at it. In the end for what ? Getting mocked by the "community" ? Well that sucks man. Of course i'm not saying everybody is like that, also some people are just trolling (but its just as rude and stupid to do).

Just having a place on the ZSR leaderboard would solve all that crap, when i asked if all medallion could get on there i got some other "yea just so u'd get a wr in there".
Some other people told me that it's too similar to no ww.
Really ? Even if it is a bit similar then what ? The route is soo cool man, on top of RBA, you get BA farore wind's on B, you do 2 crazy-ass WW with it, u do hookshot jump in DC. Swordless Fire temple is nice.  It's ton of fun
I also got feedback that the category doesn't beat ganon. So what ? Ganonless doesn't either. AM warp to credit too and not from the same place as ganonless.

Anyway AM is just an exemple here. Similar could be said for other categories where people put lot of work into: Low% MST, 100% glitchless, Reverse dungeon order...Yet many people don't know about those amazing run because it's not on ZSR.

Those category maybe aren't worth anything to your eyes but they are to those who enjoy running and routing them. Is being featured on ZSR too much ?

I get that current ZSR's system isn't good for having many categories because it would be unclear, popular category would be lost in middle of a bunch of categories.
Thats when i thought about having tiers.
Having tiers of category allows for finding quickly the most popular and relevant runs (like most current categories featured on ZSR) while still having a hub for less popular category.
Originaly i thought about just having 2 tiers. But more can be good too. I like that idea about having 3: "main" "secondary" "misc" or "main" restriction" "misc".
Another thing that could work out well with tier is IL (Individual Level) as a tier 4 or something.

I don't know how feasible that would be in term of using that system on the actual website and how it would look like, but i'm sure something can be worked on, even if its just link to other website like google doc leaderboard or w/e

It's nice this topic is being discussed, it should have been long ago i think, this new glitch shook stuff up so its a good time for that.

Also, i don't know if those guys will come speak their mind here because registering on the forum since bugged but i know i can speak for Marco, Psybotteh, Bonooruu, Chopperman, Amateseru (and if you don't know who those guys are i've no word lol) they are all 100% for it.

Anyway thanks for reading my bad english

Dromasylvia"
Audacity7
Deku Scrub

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2015, 04:24:00 AM »

Amateseru:

"I really agree with the tiers, it sounds a good idea, but trully the current list is not really perfect at all,

Top tier:

Any%
100%
glitchless maybe ?

That seems super legit to put them here, if you want to add a 4th one then it's mst. Not all dungeons (seriously all dungeons...) what about ban GIM in mst maybe ? because seriously, if you have to wait to get RNGeesus in deku tree.... I heard a lot of people sayin if you have to do that, they will quit for ever the category even if they're still thinking this is the best one (I'm talking about people like Marco you see ?") The best solution would be to wait until a new good route in mst which not involves retarded RNG is found... After all RBA is banned.

2nd tier

Glitchess 100% if you don't want glitchless in top tier
All dungeons
no WW
No RBA/WW
No RBA/WW/GIM
ganonless

3rd tier

RDO (just because I love this category)
glitchless 100% if you want glitchless in 2nd tier
ganonless if you don't want it in 2nd tier too
100%, every glitches allowed ? (except duplication because duplication just has no sense) that could be something...
another mst with glitches like RBA and GIM (you will still have to touch every blue warp) ?

Rubbish tier Kappa :

whatever you want (child dungeons, all owls maybe, low% no RBA/WW/GIM, etc...)

Clearly you can see the main problem is mst, really it's just not my opinion a lot and a lot of people agree with me, this category shouldn't die, this is like.... the spirit of OoT.

Just some extra informations about me: I'm running on emu, I'm running any% no RBA/WW, not mst yet but this my favorite category, and I will probably just touch  every category because they all look intersting"
Audacity7
Deku Scrub

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2015, 04:25:01 AM »

Frogburt:

"Hello everyone, I'd like to start by thanking you for reading my post and contributing to this discussion, also thank you to Audacity for posting this to allow my voice to be heard.  First I'd like to say that I strongly support Pit's idea of tier'd categories.  This system would dispel a lot of the frustration over which categories appear on the leaderboards.  Although some certainly may be upset by the placement of some categories, I think this would at least be a step in the right direction.  Right now I feel that many of the decisions made about the leaderboards are made by only a few and that not every runner really has a say in what appears on the leaderboards and this system would bring an end to this.

One thing that we definitely need to have a discussion about is how many tiers we have/which categories go where.  Even though I don't really care for MST and I think the goal is sort of arbitrary it is one of the oldest speedrun categories in this community so I would argue for it to be in the first tier.  Regardless I think we first need to decide if this is the system we want to go with and then I'd love to have a discussion over which categories go where.  Thank you all again for reading this."
scaramanga
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2015, 11:42:11 AM »

A few more thoughts after reflecting about this for a few hours.

About the leaderboards:
With the current presentation of the leaderboards, we can't have more than ~10 categories per game. Therefore cutting out categories that don't finish the game seems to be a reasonable decision. However we must think, if there might be a better way from time to time. And this tiering system looks like a good idea.
To keep it short: The more categories there are, the easier it is for newcomers to participate.

About categories:
I'm pretty new to speedrunning and sentences like "the community decided on these rules" really appealed to me, maybe this mix of competition and community effort to push a game forward is what got me interested in becoming a part of it in the first place. Anyway, GIM is obviously the first major breakthrough since I started lurking and I really looked forward to the discussion, where it would be allowed and where not.
When I saw the split of No RBA/WW earlier today, I was a bit disappointed, because there was (from my point of view) no discussion about that whatsoever. Maybe I wasn't in the IRC at the right time, maybe this is just to keep track of runs, to have it easier when a decision is made, but to me it seems like a lack of transparency.
In my opinion, we should take the opportunity of this exciting new glitch, to discuss most of the category definitions. There might be no change at all, but perhaps the "collect all tokens" definition with RBA and GIM (even, if it should have no use) allowed for 100% is the way to go (I don't say in any way, that I'm in favor or totally against this scenario).

To conclude: I'm really looking forward to the IRC-dicussion tomorrow, we surely have to talk about some things, which no one thought about, when the event was announced.
mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2015, 01:05:20 PM »

On the No RBA/WW category split:

On one side No RBA (and later no WW) was created to sort of capture the essence of any% from the pre-rba era. With the new glitch, you end up cutting out a big chunk (up to 20 minutes atm) of what makes No RBA/WW unique.

On the other side, you can argue that GIM is not explicitly banned from No RBA/WW (before the split). Several runners have shown interest in pushing the limit of the category as is utilizing the new trick.

To me, the difference between the categories is great enough to warrant a split. Furthermore, if people give up on No RBA/WW (GIM allowed), or if the No RBA/WW community wants to allow GIM, we can make the appropriate changes later on, when we have a better idea of people's feelings towards No RBA/WW with GIM.

So for the time being, the categories will be split.

Quote from:  Leigh Rogers
Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: