ZSR Forums
April 27, 2024, 02:39:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Emulator Icon" appears on console?  (Read 4599 times)
nickenator8
Regular Guay

Email
« on: October 02, 2014, 06:14:47 PM »

I noticed in my No WW run I did on n64 had the "Emulator Icon" from the time I entered Lost Woods to the time I entered Kakariko Village. The icon I'm referring to is the blue thing that almost resembles a door in the top left of the screen. This icon always seems to be there on emulator, so I'm wondering why it's there on n64. Is this always there in these locations and just not normally visible due to the way crt's display the video?

The video that has this icon: http://youtu.be/7_VYFXW-nMk?t=4m52s
whyieyesya
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 06:32:43 PM »

CRTs do not display the whole image they receive. Part of the image falls outside the visible region. This is called overscan. I think your capture card does not do any overscan so the blue box is visible.

The blue box is bigger on emulator, so I suppose that the N64 already crops a part of the rendered image when sending it to the TV.

I have no clue what the meaning of the blue box is.  Cheesy
nickenator8
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 06:58:28 PM »

Interesting. I'm sure there's a way to enable over scanning, right? Or just crop it a bit? I don't think it's a big deal, but it does bother me lol
whyieyesya
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 07:28:28 PM »

Err, you can definitely crop your input source in OBS. Not sure if there are any other options.

I suppose it makes sense that the whole image is captured. Nintendo mainly seems to have done a bad job leaving stuff like this. Take a look at 5:18 for instance. When the screen fades out, the corners are not white, they actually have color changing. It does not look like it is supposed to at all.
Pedalpowertoast
Site Editor
Mega Guay

I'm an artist :O

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 12:42:09 AM »

This "emu icon" is the entrance icon used for stuff like when you enter the Well, it gets marked on the Kak map, same with Shadow Temple after Nocturne.

The game just stores the icon at coords 0,0 hidden by the overscan of TV's. There's not normally a way to turn overscan off (at least back in 1998 afaik) so it wasn't that big of a problem back then. Some games actually had hidden messages from programmers hidden in overscan areas!

It also explains why you can see the corners, they normally get hidden by overscan too.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 10:54:59 AM by mzxrules » Logged

http://www.youtube.com/user/Pedalpowerluigi

Using a slow version on purpose is your choice, but you will get no sympathy or agreement from me.
Lol
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: