Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Q&A Ganondoor/Gohma Hover Trick Help Thread  (Read 67300 times)

nathanisbored

• Site Editor
  • Special Guay
Ganondoor Trick Help Thread
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2014, 12:37:21 PM »

thank you so much!! im so proud of myself did any% no rba no ww last night. and tried ganondoor today once i successfully got it i got to ganon and killed him first try.

damn it feels good
lol no problem, i love that feeling :D

geraggh34

• Regular Guay
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2014, 12:41:27 PM »

I plan on using an emulator soon just got practice. I'm playing wii vc and it sucks not having save states when I'm learning.

Now I'm stuck at STT in MM I do the first block skip. I tried wierdshot and game froze and picture messed up. Trying to find an alternative

edit: ugh still having problems with ganondoor im trying to get it consistently. sometimes after i do OI the angle im facing before cancelling OI is the wrong way. i also usually am over the black patch or on the hump and i go to the right corner z targer wall turn 180 z target get to edge of door let go of z spam a. i almost always end up at the deku cutscene. i got it twice today but am not sure what i did different.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 11:47:10 PM by geraggh34 »

geraggh34

• Regular Guay
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2014, 06:47:26 PM »

I'm thinking about getting the hylian shield for my practicing. wii VC + burnt deku shield + no save states make me want to punch a hole through my tv

could anyone possibly explain the frame adjustments for me on ganondoor over the hump? i use the roll slash method and usually am at 4, 3, or 2 i go over the black patch on the hump, crossing over the black patch, or cross the hump under the black patch.

it seems like i only get it on 3. i usually go to the top right corner z targer the wall 180 z target and then get to the edge of the door. 8/10 i get deku cutscene the other times is ganons castle. i rarely go right back to the basement room
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 04:52:52 AM by geraggh34 »

KaizoMK

• Deku Scrub
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2014, 01:39:04 PM »

How do you side-hop and then jump-slash in the direction you side-hopped in?

EDIT:  Also, I just did ganondoor after double KO'ing on Gohma, and it seems to have worked except it's bugged, as if I had reset the game and thus the cutscene modifier.  Except I didn't.  Does saving the game act as its own cutscene bychance?  Otherwise what else could have caused this?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 01:53:04 PM by KaizoMK »

mzxrules

• Admin
  • Mega Guay
  • Wrong warp expert
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2014, 04:52:10 PM »

How do you side-hop and then jump-slash in the direction you side-hopped in?

EDIT:  Also, I just did ganondoor after double KO'ing on Gohma, and it seems to have worked except it's bugged, as if I had reset the game and thus the cutscene modifier.  Except I didn't.  Does saving the game act as its own cutscene bychance?  Otherwise what else could have caused this?

Cutscene pointer, not modifier.

There are two important components to wrong warping: the cutscene pointer, and the data that the cutscene pointer is actually pointing to (i.e. a cutscene).

The cutscene pointer is set when viewing a certain type of cutscene. The bulk of the cutscenes that set the cutscene pointer before being played are listed here but to give you the short version, there are only two likely cutscene pointer values to get when performing Ganondoor:

• Deku Tree Intro Cutscene
  • Title Screen Cutscene (really only the one part in Hyrule Field as the other parts require manipulation to get as a last cutscene)

The only way a different cutscene pointer could be set would be if you were to enter the Deku Tree, triggering the Deku Tree Intro, then leave and go to other parts of the world. A fairly unlikely scenario.

Now according to my theories on wrong warping...

Saving, Dying, Watching Gohma's fight, puzzle stuff do not set the cutscene pointer value. They can in some instances change what value the cutscene pointer is set to, but these cutscenes happen to load in the same spot in memory every time so they don't.

Thus what remains is the data that the cutscene pointers point to.

If you watched the Deku Tree Intro Cutscene last (cutscene pointer is pointed to that cutscene), then the outcome of a successful ganondoor wrong warp will always be the same because the cutscene pointer ends up pointing to the same set of data each time. That is to say that if one outcome happens on version x, that outcome will always occur with version x, and an outcome on version y will always occur in version y, but outcome x isn't necessarily the same as outcome y.

If you save and quit or reload a file from a save, you'll end up with the Title Screen Cutscene. This cutscene sets the cutscene pointer such it points to a spot in ram where files related to pausing will load in some cases. This how the pause trick came to be discovered.
Quote from:  Leigh Rogers
Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.

Irregular programming

• Deku Scrub
Re: Q&A Ganondoor/Gohma Hover Trick Help Thread
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2014, 10:54:34 PM »

I can do the wrong warp fairly consistent, however, sometimes the camera screws me over and I have no clue why.

Here is an example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2QEWgsrqFI#t=1160

As you can see the camera ends up on the wrong side of Link, and I have to run out and try again.

I really would like to know what I am doing wrong with my setup when that happens, because it's doing it way to often for me.

mzxrules

• Admin
  • Mega Guay
  • Wrong warp expert
Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.

Irregular programming

• Deku Scrub
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2014, 04:25:55 AM »

Probably, gonna try it out when I get home. Thank you!

I kind of assumed the opposite, that I wasn't in the corner enough, so that made it even worse.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 04:33:38 AM by Irregular programming »

TehSuckerer

• Deku Scrub
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2015, 11:06:10 AM »

I started learning any% yesterday and when I try to do Ganondoor, I'm early almost every single time.
I'm trying to follow this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAOfhr4US2s
Here's a video of me trying, the second attempt looked decent to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guVSXdly5go&feature=youtu.be

I'm using Project64 2.2.03 and OoT J 1.0

RainingChain

• Deku Scrub
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2015, 09:20:14 AM »

I started learning any% yesterday and when I try to do Ganondoor, I'm early almost every single time.
I'm trying to follow this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAOfhr4US2s
Here's a video of me trying, the second attempt looked decent to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guVSXdly5go&feature=youtu.be

I'm using Project64 2.2.03 and OoT J 1.0

Best way to learn wrong warp is with Memory Hack Software. You check the variable linked with the WW timer and you check if it matches with what it is supposed to be. More info: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTucNxwP5bw

I'd assume the reason you failed the WW in the video is because:
-You were not holding left after the nut. (Easily detectable with a Controller Input Viewer)
-You did not align with the wall correctly for the U-turn. You need to hold forward when targetting the wall.

TehSuckerer

• Deku Scrub
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2015, 12:44:24 PM »

Wow, the memory hacking software is an excellent suggestion!

If I weren't holding left after throwing the nut it should have made me slower not faster, so that can't be it on it's own.
The alignment with the wall is obvious to me now that you point it out. I wondered why the tutorial said to target the wall I feel dumb now...

RattleMan

• Regular Guay
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2015, 05:21:15 PM »

Wow, the memory hacking software is an excellent suggestion!

If I weren't holding left after throwing the nut it should have made me slower not faster, so that can't be it on it's own.
The alignment with the wall is obvious to me now that you point it out. I wondered why the tutorial said to target the wall I feel dumb now...
Wait just a few more frames after the camera stops rotating around the warp before canceling Ocarina Items. Then, right after you press the button to throw the Deku Nut and target, try pausing the game, switching to straight left, then unpausing.

Also, you should use Project64 1.7 or 1.6, as the 2.x series have timing issues with the N64 Zeldas.

If you want, here is my tutorial video on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT2brg_4yM0&t=0m20s
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 05:24:19 PM by RattleMan »

Carrymisenpai

• Deku Scrub
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2016, 06:17:13 PM »

So i just got into speed runs recently, thought they would be fun to learn and try them out... Let's just say i got a new found respect for you guys, this is not easy to learn...
anyways, i would like some advice on how to do the Gohma Clip, i seen videos and i'm almost consistent on the back flipping part to get behind the door, but the next troublesome part is this...
https://www.twitch.tv/carrymisenpai/v/68643607
she refuses to die, there are times where i even hit her 4-5 times...

no idea what i gotta do.

Edit: i kept attempting, and just killed her with 10 hits... how do people do it with 3?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 06:23:44 PM by Carrymisenpai »

RattleMan

• Regular Guay
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2016, 11:31:28 PM »

So i just got into speed runs recently, thought they would be fun to learn and try them out... Let's just say i got a new found respect for you guys, this is not easy to learn...
anyways, i would like some advice on how to do the Gohma Clip, i seen videos and i'm almost consistent on the back flipping part to get behind the door, but the next troublesome part is this...
https://www.twitch.tv/carrymisenpai/v/68643607
she refuses to die, there are times where i even hit her 4-5 times...

no idea what i gotta do.

Edit: i kept attempting, and just killed her with 10 hits... how do people do it with 3?

You had a normal Kokiri Sword slash (1 damage) stored and not a Deku Stick jumpslash (4 damage) stored: https://youtu.be/5NV6fmsFv7w

For some reason the crouch stab (and by extension, ISG) does whatever damage the last attack you performed was. By only doing a normal slash before getting ISG, you made her take 10 hits (Gohma's HP is 10, 10/1 = 10). Make sure you always have a Deku Stick jumpslash stored before you attempt to damage Gohma (10/4 = 2.5, rounded up to 3).
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 04:08:10 PM by RattleMan »

TheInvincibleTubbaBlubba

• Deku Scrub
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2016, 11:07:17 PM »

Im also trying to get the wrong warp to gannons castle from deku tree. im playing the english version though so its much harder right? plus im playing with a texture pack so would that interfere at all? because every time i jump in the water after doing the deku nut stuck in my face glitch then run past the big chest, the game crashes and im quite discouraged :(

mzxrules

• Admin
  • Mega Guay
  • Wrong warp expert
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2016, 05:29:04 PM »

Get Item Manipulation (proper name for the glitch) used on Wii VC crashes on N64. Getting it to work on emulator requires you to use a different graphics plugin.

Also, GIM is unrelated to the Ganondoor Wrong Warp, thus you posted on the wrong topic :D
Braid
Pages: 1 [2]