ZSR Forums
March 28, 2024, 07:14:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Poll
Question: Sorry, not sure what this is?
? - 1 (100%)
? - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I get Japanese versions of Zelda on my wii?  (Read 11180 times)
Entanjir
Deku Scrub

« on: February 09, 2014, 06:03:00 PM »

Hello everyone, I am new to speedrunning and new to the community. I love watching people run Zelda games, it's very intriguing and exciting.

Apologies if this similar question has been asked somewhere else, but I am just wondering how to get the Japanese versions onto my Wii. I have looked into it a bit and got the Homebrew channel already. Now I'm trying to figure out what to do after that point. What Apps do I need in order to be able to play the Japanese versions. This is the first time I have ever modded something, so I'm really bad at it haha. I know that some runners use Region changer App, and then I have heard about some other runners using something totally different. I'm just not sure what is the best thing to do, and how to go about doing it. If someone could please guide me through this process, that would awesome and very much appreciated.

Thanks for listening,

Entanjir.

EDIT: Well, I now know what that "Question" thing is, haha, I'm dumb. My apologies.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 06:06:26 PM by Entanjir » Logged
whyieyesya
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 08:41:40 PM »

What region is your Wii?

If you have a US Wii, I think you can just make the WAD regionfree and then install it. I'd prefer that over region changing myself.
Entanjir
Deku Scrub

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 10:03:22 AM »

Yeah, I have a US Wii. I actually heard about runners using that method, But I don't know how to do it unfortunately.
whyieyesya
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 05:04:58 PM »

You can use this program: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/ShowMiiWads
Entanjir
Deku Scrub

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 09:05:40 PM »

Oh awesome, thanks for the link. I'll read up on it and figure things out  Smiley
whyieyesya
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 10:35:37 PM »

You can do an awful lot with that program.

Here's the text from a somewhat of a tutorial I found (I don't think linking to this site is a good idea):
1. Download ShowMiiWads and extract it somewhere.

2. Run ShowMiiWads.exe. The first time, it will show a disclaimer. Change the option to I accept and take the risk of Wad editing features.

3. You'll be provided with an empty window. To add your wads to this window, go to File > Open folder. Then browse for the folder that contains your wads.

4. Once you added a folder with wads, you'll see a lot of info about every one of them (Name, type, blocks, IOS it uses,...). Many of these things can be changed with the Edit menu. You can for example make it region free or change the titleID. Its all yours to edit!
Entanjir
Deku Scrub

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 02:58:42 PM »

Wow, thank you, that's a big help. Umm, Do I need a program on my Wii to protect from any bricking? Or can I just put the WAD onto my Wii and it be fine?
Entanjir
Deku Scrub

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 06:45:25 PM »

OH and another thing. I'm not really sure where to find the Majora's Mask WAD, and if I need to have the game already purchased on my Wii or not. Haha, apologies if this is common sense, but I'm just not sure.
whyieyesya
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 08:20:44 PM »

If you have a very old Wii you can install Bootmii on Boot2, which is the best protection from bricking. Do a google for Bootmii. Your Wii might not support it though. You really need something not much older than a launch Wii.

You just need a WAD of the game, install it with a homebrew program. You don't need to have bought any other games for that.
Entanjir
Deku Scrub

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 08:52:13 PM »

My Wii is a version 4.1 U, I'll install BootMii and hope it works haha. I'm just not sure where I get the WAD. I looked up like, " Majora Mask WAD download " but I couldn't really find anything without having to download a huge torrent, unless that's needed. But I'm having trouble finding the WAD itself. Once I find the WAD, do I need to use something like Gecko, to install the WAD onto the Wii?
whyieyesya
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 09:17:22 PM »

My Wii is a version 4.1 U, I'll install BootMii and hope it works haha. I'm just not sure where I get the WAD. I looked up like, " Majora Mask WAD download " but I couldn't really find anything without having to download a huge torrent, unless that's needed. But I'm having trouble finding the WAD itself. Once I find the WAD, do I need to use something like Gecko, to install the WAD onto the Wii?
Your Wii firmware version doesn't matter for BootMii. It's really the hardware specifications of your Wii that matter. You can still install it on newer Wiis though, but it's not as effective against bricks anymore then.

You just need a WAD installer to install the WAD. You can probably find one with Google, I don't know any by name.

Unfortunately linking to WADs isn't allowed afaik. You can find a link to MM JP VC in this thread though.
Entanjir
Deku Scrub

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 09:58:03 PM »

Thank you very much for your time and knowledge, I appreciate it. I found what I was looking for, and now I'll be able to finish everything, and start playing the Japanese MM. Thanks again.  Smiley
Twitchy
Deku Scrub

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2014, 02:51:15 AM »

You can do an awful lot with that program.

Here's the text from a somewhat of a tutorial I found (I don't think linking to this site is a good idea):
1. Download ShowMiiWads and extract it somewhere.

2. Run ShowMiiWads.exe. The first time, it will show a disclaimer. Change the option to I accept and take the risk of Wad editing features.

3. You'll be provided with an empty window. To add your wads to this window, go to File > Open folder. Then browse for the folder that contains your wads.

4. Once you added a folder with wads, you'll see a lot of info about every one of them (Name, type, blocks, IOS it uses,...). Many of these things can be changed with the Edit menu. You can for example make it region free or change the titleID. Its all yours to edit!

I just did this and can confirm it worked flawlessly. The tutorial is a bit vague though, so here is an imgur album with pictures for each step.

I wouldn't recommend changing any other settings than region flag as messing with different region WADs is risky and may result in a brick.

After following the steps, just put the edited WAD onto your SD card and install it on your wii via a homebrew channel wad installer app. I used Wad Manager v1.3, (extremely outdated) I believe the current version is 1.7.

Link to WAD Manager v1.7

Hope this helped anyone having similar issues.
Drenn
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2014, 07:57:27 PM »

I think the simplest solution is to install priiloader on your wii and enable region-free channels... certainly much better than changing your wii's region.

On a WiiU, though, don't try that, just stick with the ShowMiiWads solution.
Twitchy
Deku Scrub

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2014, 07:36:39 PM »

I think the simplest solution is to install priiloader on your wii and enable region-free channels... certainly much better than changing your wii's region.

On a WiiU, though, don't try that, just stick with the ShowMiiWads solution.

Well the ShowMiiWads doesn't region change your wii; it just allows you to make the specific wad region free. The ShowMiiWads solution doesn't require you to install anything that messes with the NAND
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: