ZSR Forums
April 19, 2024, 08:25:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sub-2:30 100%  (Read 5518 times)
Pinkteddy
Deku Scrub

Email
« on: January 16, 2014, 07:36:15 PM »

So I'm 3rd from the bottom on the leaderboards with a 100% time something on the lines of 2:33 and some change.  My last run (which doesn't have a video posted yet went fairly smooth for me.  I'm still trying to figure out, independent of the RNG heavy areas, specifically Digging Game and Treasure Chest Game, how to break the 2:30 mark on my runs.  I feel like 2:33 is still respectable, but I'm jonesing for that 2:30, and eventually for that 2:00 or less run.

Some things I need help with, if anyone can explain it to me.  Please don't link a video.  I can't see hands on controller.
1) Wallpumping and Airpumping.  I know what they are, the directions they work in, and the theory behind it.  Maybe I'm doing it correctly in my runs, I don't know, but I can't see Link moving any faster.  And I can't get sub 6 minutes on the Escape (starting at file select).  So I -feel- like I'm doing it wrong.

2) The hammeryump.  How.  Short of cheating and turning on X,Y indicators, I can't figure this out.

3) Magic Powder/Zora's/Quake medal before or after Thieve's Town?

4) Possibly a route change.  Why is it faster to do Ice Palace before Misery Mire? I get the bomb jump almost 100% of the time.  The two are optional order, and with the 3 hearts that I have to clean up in Mire, why is it faster to do Ice Palace first?  I guess I just don't understand the -why- behind the route.

Any help would be amazing
Baka94
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 12:24:37 PM »

1) Wallpumping and Airpumping.  I know what they are, the directions they work in, and the theory behind it.  Maybe I'm doing it correctly in my runs, I don't know, but I can't see Link moving any faster.  And I can't get sub 6 minutes on the Escape (starting at file select).  So I -feel- like I'm doing it wrong.

Wall and Airpumping as far as I know moves you forward by one pixel every time you do it. It's like Armpumping in Super Metroid. You gain one pixel every time. It's not noticeable but it saves time from frames to seconds depending on the length of the run you are doing.

; My brain activity
MainLoop:
 NOP
 JMP MainLoop
FERANATOR
Deku Scrub

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 06:39:58 PM »

Hey,

I only recently started running myself with my first time at just over 3 hours!

The wall and air pumping is not a very useful strategy for starting off and i myself don't even quite understand it. What is a minor version that is even faster is stair pumping where you wall pump up both walls by mashing both directionals while going up a set of stairs.

The bomb jumps all have really nice pictures to help figure them out but in general there are tons of visual cues you can use to know where to place the bomb, the one i use is a bit outdated now, but much easier and that is to line up links sword with the floor pattern then move yourself up until there is one pixel between link's sword and the bomb fuse.

Magic powder comes as soon as you get the flute bird, this minimizes the distance you lose when you flute back from the witch hut.
you also need magic powder before skull woods so while by the dwarves you can get 1/2 magic power. Obtaining the magic powder before thieves' however is optimal.

The route I use you get the Zora flippers and quack med. right after skull woods. This route hasn't changed as far as I know. This is because you need the money from after thieves' to buy the flippers. This route not only sets you up to warp right to ice, but also means that you get a full heart container right outside mire, allowing for optimal strats after potential bad RNG getting the cane and medallion on the mountain. 

Hope this answers what you need!
FERANATOR115
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: