ZSR Forums
March 28, 2024, 04:30:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Individual Dungeon Segment Runs  (Read 16008 times)
RheaultWnage
Site Editor
Regular Guay

« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2013, 04:02:48 AM »

I've been learning/messing with the individual dungeons myself since last night, and it's so much fun! Cheesy Earlier today I was practicing House of Gales, and I managed to pull off a 6:11 on a very nice run. (Timing from when you gain control of Link to when you grab the Pendant.) That run had really good miniboss and boss fight, and I pulled off the skip near the Big Key on the first try. ^.^

I'm not sure how much faster one could get with the route I used, since I limited myself to the items I would have there in an any% run (bombs, Tornado Rod, Hookshot, Bow).

I'm off to Lorule now, can't wait. Cheesy

EDIT: Welp, was watching zandergoth's stream and he uses one strat that is faster. I guess my time is outdated already. xD Haha
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 04:51:01 AM by RheaultWnage » Logged
Powerstar9
Regular Guay

Bumper of Time

Email
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2014, 09:38:42 PM »

I rise from the dead. Again.
Tower of Hera in 4:42- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwJ8AyEHU98 (timing ends when link holds the pendant of power)
Would appreciate it if you could look over it and give me some tips so I can improve this time. Maybe by a lot.

"When I first discovered AS and Turtle Skip, I was like Kreygasm for 2 hours." Me from Anwonu's stream.
kirbymastah
Regular Guay

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2014, 09:57:24 PM »

0:03 - You shouldn't hit the switch a 2nd time while on the blue wall or else you'll lose time falling off the risen wall. Just slash the second switch while on ground instead.

0:16 - For this giant stump, you should stand on the very, very bottom-left corner of it because your destination on the next floor is southwest. Very minor, but for an IL, minor things add up to seconds. This should apply to every giant stump you hit.

0:57 - You can be farther left on the giant block while merged, before it goes up, so it takes less time for you to go around the corner. again, frame-saver but it matters in ILs Tongue

1:00 - Dash northeast the moment you enter this room. Not sure if it matters though because of the outdoor platform cycle on this floor.

1:50ish - Your skeleton strat isn't very optimal. The idea is that you want to catch the attention of the first three, walk right slowly to catch the attention of the right two, get hit, then hammer; you should easily hammer 2-3 of them (or maybe all 5 at once), and the others will be stunned and grouped together so you can kill them with a 2nd hammer slam.

2:14 - Slam the stump first, then get the key while waiting for it to shoot up.

2:54 - Your strategy here is also suboptimal. Follow anwonu/zander's strategy with the bow to hit all four switches quickly.

Moldorm - Bow is faster than spin attacks and safer too, after some practice.

Looking forward to your improvements Smiley Good luck!

Tr621
Regular Guay

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2014, 12:05:51 AM »

If you are going to use the spin attack strategy, you should do 3 spin attacks first, then the final hit with a normal slash. It's easier than slashing first or arrow strats.

"I once stored a quick draw on my sword without de-equipping the bottle in my hand in an attempt to bottle dupe over sword. Didn't work." - nathanisbored, 2013

----

lol us da beg key
Powerstar9
Regular Guay

Bumper of Time

Email
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2014, 10:32:46 PM »

House of Gales (7:37): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1v8PSCbns4
Boss fight is terrible. Nearly died. Never happened to me before. I usually mix it between 2 bombs and 1 bomb+2 sword slash.
 In the 2nd room 1f, if the rat falls next to the bomb, it can save like 1-2 seconds.
I usually try to get the heedles together, then tornado them. But I didn't want to waste time.
Miniboss room with 10? Fire bubbles needs a better strat. Idk what to do their.

"When I first discovered AS and Turtle Skip, I was like Kreygasm for 2 hours." Me from Anwonu's stream.
RheaultWnage
Site Editor
Regular Guay

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2014, 11:01:48 PM »

I'm assuming you'd like some pointers like you did for Tower of Hera? Here's what I could think of:

1. Grab a pot in the first room and throw it on the right switch in the second instead of using a bomb. This allows you to save some energy, which you'll be using to put a bomb right at the start of the next room, which will take care of 2 antifairies. (The fire bubbles) All 3 might be possible? I don't know, never really tried.

2. Definitely learn the sequence break of 2F, the one using an Armos statue near the Big Key chest to push you onto a ledge. This will by far save you the most time in this dungeon, and it will also remove all the difficulties you have with the 10 antifairies room, because you won't have to do it anymore.

3. Ideally, you wouldn't have the Hookshot at that point in the game (slightly faster to get it later on, when you get Fire Ice and Sand Rods), so grabbing both small keys of 2F using the Tornado Rod instead of the Hookshot would be better. Also, it lets you enter the dungeon with Tornado Rod and Bombs equipped, and keep those all the way until the end.

4. In the room where you activate the fan that takes Link from 2F to 3F (Around 3:41 in your video), you don't have to take that moving platform to reach the fan. You can either go back the way you came, and take the doorway just south of that one, or you can also do a Dash Slide from the correct spot to get over the void gap and get to the fan directly.

5. 3F will be pretty much completely skipped once you learn the sequence break near the Big Key.

6. In the final room before the boss. When you enter it, do not move. Wait until the first moving platform reaches all the way south and do a Dash Slide. That will take you directly to the second platform, saving a cycle in the process.

7. Your boss strategy seems good. Just learn to read his bouncing pattern and you'll cut your time pretty easily. Also, know that, after "killing" all his disks on phase 2 and 3, you don't have to wait that long before using the Tornado Rod. Stand near the outer radius of his "air attack" and use Rod. He will move under you almost right away.

Finally, you might be interested in these 2 pages of the website, to further help you with this dungeon: House Of Gales and Dash Slide.

If you are going to use the spin attack strategy, you should do 3 spin attacks first, then the final hit with a normal slash. It's easier than slashing first or arrow strats.
Single slash at the start allows you to just walk up to Moldorm's tail and deal damage before it moves away. I'm not sure if it's possible to be fast enough with a spin attack. The Bow seems ideal for the first hit, as long as you know the correct position and timing for the shot.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 11:05:13 PM by RheaultWnage » Logged
Powerstar9
Regular Guay

Bumper of Time

Email
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2014, 04:37:10 AM »

Thanks for all the help! I improved my Tower of Hera and got it down to 4:03. However, I am having a little trouble with the key skip in the House of Gales.
I think its because Im not timing it right. I take damage and use the tornado rod, but i dont get pushed onto the platform. Also, Im having trouble finding the right position to stand so I can do the trick, which is probably contributing to the problem.

Powerstar9
Regular Guay

Bumper of Time

Email
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2014, 08:07:46 PM »

Idk what's worse, a bump or a double post.
Eastern Palace (3:31) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPyXg_UfF-o#
Other than a brainfart, it was nearly perfect (stupid armos Angry ). I didn't collect the 100 rupees because I thought well, this is an IL run. Hope we find more sequence breaks and useful oob places in this game.

RheaultWnage
Site Editor
Regular Guay

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2014, 08:43:28 PM »

After the miniboss room (Armos statues), it's faster to go right instead of left. When entering the Boss Door room from the north-east corner instead of north-west, you will also be closer to the spot from where you can activate that one switch with a diagonal shot. Your setup for the Armos clip was a bit weird, but if it works then it's all good. Tongue
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: