ZSR Forums
March 28, 2024, 03:03:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Individual Dungeon Segment Runs  (Read 16007 times)
Teague
Regular Guay

Email
« on: November 28, 2013, 11:15:48 PM »

Hey guys.  I'm new to speedrunning and as it is a bit daunting to tackle the whole game I thought I'd go ahead and try to time myself just for the time it takes to beat single dungeons; maybe some of you would like to try and put up your times on here.  By saving outside a dungeon you can run it multiple times and try to improve your time.

Some rules:
-You can use any item that you could conceivably have by the time you get to that dungeon
      -the exceptions are that you can't use items found in dungeons (ie upgraded sword, tunics, hylian shield)
-Time starts the moment you enter the dungeon and ends the moment you get the pendant/portrait (for Eastern Palace its the moment you leave the dungeon)

So far I've only tried a couple runs of Eastern Palace and a practice run of House of Gales

My best time for Eastern Palace currently is 6:27 (there is lots of room to improve here obviously)
Vortex
Regular Guay

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 11:36:50 PM »

Hey! I'm new to speedrunning, too. Congratulations on the time! Be proud of that, and continue to improve it. I'll be sure to post my times, here, too, when I get around to it.

"Uh, Max? I don't think we're getting out of this cave." - Arin, Game Grumps
Teague
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 11:40:06 PM »

Thanks! Just got 6:07 Grin
EDIT: EP 6:02
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 11:55:59 PM by Teague » Logged
doommaker
Special Guay

The DoomJump....The most hated name of all time.

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 04:35:02 AM »

After I realized you could skip the cut scene after killing the boss and a few attempts I got 5:32.

The any% route that tdutchnick96 made is very useful for the first three dungeons.Especially if you're lazy like me and you don't feel like
going through the entire dungeon just to find the quickest way to beat it...

« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 06:21:10 PM by doommaker » Logged
mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 04:48:50 AM »

What do you count as being the end to Eastern Palace?

Quote from:  Leigh Rogers
Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.
doommaker
Special Guay

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 05:01:58 AM »

I figured the moment when You exit the dungeon and before Link starts the dialog with Sahasrahla.

(Please correct me if I'm wrong)
Teague
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 05:02:28 AM »

After I realized you could skip the cut scene after killing the boss and many attempts I got 5:32.

The any% route that tdutchnick96 made is very useful for the first three dungeons.Especially if you're lazy like me and you don't feel like
going through the entire dungeon just to find the quickest way to beat it...

How do you skip the cut scene?

The moment you leave the dungeon.
doommaker
Special Guay

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 05:04:38 AM »

How do you skip the cut scene?
The moment you leave the dungeon.
You press start during the cut scene and a "skip" button will appear on the bottom screen.
Teague
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2013, 05:10:16 AM »

Thanks.

People probably already know this but if you stand here in EP you cant hit the switch in the top left.
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/4q8y6xcpffdbwsn/ZSEY4PdeFK
Teague
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2013, 05:42:12 AM »

Just did EP in 4:40.  I skipping the cutscene obviously saves a lot of time.  That and I was doing a 2 whole rooms for no reason.
Hornlitz
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2013, 05:54:30 AM »

So, I just got 4:29.86 for EP, and the Stalfos fight was a little bad. The Yuga fight can be improved too. I'll try and make a video of a faster time later.

EDIT: New record! 4:27.34! Yuga was good, and stalfos were decent. Everywhere else went quite well. Happy with this one, but I'll still need to beat this on a recording :/
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 06:33:16 AM by Hornlitz » Logged
doommaker
Special Guay

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2013, 09:45:29 PM »

So, I just got 4:29.86 for EP, and the Stalfos fight was a little bad. The Yuga fight can be improved too. I'll try and make a video of a faster time later.

EDIT: New record! 4:27.34! Yuga was good, and stalfos were decent. Everywhere else went quite well. Happy with this one, but I'll still need to beat this on a recording :/
I'm like 6 seconds off of you every time and I think it's the method used to kill yuga.
Hornlitz
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2013, 01:05:28 AM »

I'm like 6 seconds off of you every time and I think it's the method used to kill yuga.

When do you start the timer? I start it right after the triforce disappears on the loading screen entering EP, so maybe some of the time lost is when you start your timer.
Teague
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2013, 01:45:07 AM »

When do you start the timer? I start it right after the triforce disappears on the loading screen entering EP, so maybe some of the time lost is when you start your timer.
I started doing it as soon as the triforce disappears

Managed 4:29 on EP, thats with a few small mistakes.  In the room with all the ledges and the arrows flying at you, you can actually walk past the enemy that pops up to guard the switch.  It's easy to fall of but its very doable.  The fastest way to beat the skeletons seems to be 1 arrow shot then 1 sword swing; if you duck down quickly as soon as you enter that room, the skeleton on the ledge should jump down so you don't have to go up and get him.  Other thing is Yuga.  It's easier to hit her from across the room but if you can managed to it her closer up you'll save a second or two everytime you go up to slash her.

House of Gales I just did in 7:10. I used bombs in that to hit some switches but the ice rod works too (and probably better).  I need a better strategy for the boss here because it takes forever to beat...
doommaker
Special Guay

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2013, 05:51:24 AM »

As soon as I get control of link which would put me about a second or so ahead of the way you do it,meaning I'm about 7 seconds behind you,at least now I know.

I think I just need to keep running and get a better routine for the boss/stalfos.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: