Author Topic: Tricks/Glitches/Timesavers topic  (Read 619887 times)

Offline Weegeechan

• Regular Guay
Re: Tricks/Glitches/Timesavers topic
« Reply #800 on: February 11, 2015, 12:00:05 PM »
Also, I tried messing with the FRB again and it turned out being a lot harder than I thought. I thought I figured out a really good setup then realized it only worked with the Nice Fire Rod. The FRB here is just as frame perfect as a BB, if not harder :^( Idk why I thought it was easier in the first place. I guess I kept getting lucky.

The hitbox kept getting me from ridiculous lengths making the timing way too hard. So, sorry for semi-fail timesaver. If anyone can actually find a good setup then that would be great.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 12:14:09 PM by Weegeechan »

Offline Ahamplan

• Regular Guay
« Reply #801 on: February 11, 2015, 10:58:45 PM »
Yeah the method I said earlier is only about 1s faster than the old way but alot more consistent so its definitely worth it, the position is the 2nd line to the right after the pole and the very bottom and then just do a frb and hookshot to the bottom left and then hookshot over the bridge,  I'll try to provide a clear pic tommarow, sorry :P
I am the Zeldo for you <3

Offline Roadagain

• Regular Guay
« Reply #802 on: February 19, 2015, 06:57:50 AM »
Not too long back I posted about reaching a useless ledge from BSmith screen with a combination of Fire Rod Boost, dash slide and stopping the dash with a well timed bomb explosion.

I later realized you could probably do the same at Lorule BSmith.
Indeed you can.

I think it's bit harder though. Kinda.
You first Fire Boost (Or bomb boost, if you're into that) yourself on the fence to the right of BSmith.
Then, you throw a bomb on this ledge, and fairly quickly dash slide across.
The bomb needs to detonate at a correct time to stop your dash before you slide into the moat (Which is at least close to a softlock)

This is for the Hyrule one. Here, I'm not sure if the fence is shorter or what, but I didn't get the dash slide here, so I had to walk one screen north on top of the fence for it. The reason the dash slide is a bit trickier is that you can't just go to the end of the fence and start a dash. You need to actually find a decent spot for it.

On the other hand, it's easier because if you successfully dash slide, but the bomb detonates late, you'll fall into the hole instead, and spawn back at the fence. That's a stark contrast to nigh softlock from the Hyrule one.

Again, this is beautifully useless as far as I can tell, but hey, it's something.

Offline Weegeechan

• Regular Guay
« Reply #803 on: February 19, 2015, 10:41:42 AM »
That's quite an awesome find  :o

If I remember correctly, we were trying to figure out a way to get on that ledge to test if we could bring the Big Bomb into Thieves' Town. Did you try dashing at an angle to get into Thieves'?

Offline Roadagain

• Regular Guay
« Reply #804 on: February 19, 2015, 09:47:18 PM »
I didn't think of trying that, because with this, there's no way for me to reach this ledge with the Big Bomb in tow.

Something I'm thinking now though, is... are there places where a dash slide could be useful, but we simply can't stop on a useful spot, and instead slide right off? Because I want to make "Bomb Stopping" a term for this game.

Offline Weegeechan

• Regular Guay
« Reply #805 on: February 20, 2015, 10:52:35 AM »
That's a good question....

I can't think of any off the top of my head but I wouldn't doubt there's a use for Bomb Stopping somewhere in the game. Next time I'm messing around i'll be looking out for possible uses for this  ;D

Offline Weegeechan

• Regular Guay
« Reply #806 on: March 01, 2015, 03:33:55 AM »
I found a new trick in HoG! I figured out a way to do the moving block room in it's 1st cycle.

First, you'll want to merge on the 1st block as soon as you enter the room.

Then un-merge onto the platform with the chest and merge onto the next wall to this platform

Quickly get into this similar position. Then when the block starts getting close, move off the ledge. There's about 4-5 (?) frames where Link stays at the same height he was at when he left the ledge, meaning you can get just enough distance to then T-Rod in air and land on top the block.

I imagine this works in a few other places but I haven't tested around yet.

Also, just a quick useless HoG find. You can dash slide to this platform:

So if a Big Key skip ever gets found, then here's a fast strat! lol

Offline Roadagain

• Regular Guay
« Reply #807 on: March 01, 2015, 09:37:55 AM »
Nice finds.
The first one might be useful in, idk, chest% in ILs.

The second one... you don't get blown away by the wind?
Do you think this one would be easier/harder to pull of than the current skipskip?

Offline Anwonu

• Regular Guay
« Reply #808 on: March 01, 2015, 10:03:57 AM »
2nd doesn't replace skipskip, it'd just be a faster way to get to the area. I think I did that slide before, but as he said, it's currently useless.

Offline Roadagain

• Regular Guay
« Reply #809 on: March 01, 2015, 10:22:24 AM »
Oh no, I didn't mean it'd replace it.
I was just curious on how exact it is.

Offline Anwonu

• Regular Guay
« Reply #810 on: March 01, 2015, 10:42:51 AM »
Not hard to do. It's not pixel perfect like skipskip.

Offline Weegeechan

• Regular Guay
« Reply #811 on: March 01, 2015, 11:24:54 AM »
Nice finds.
The first one might be useful in, idk, chest% in ILs.

It's actually useful in all the routes so far. It's quite a bit faster than the way we currently do that room.

It's not too hard to do either. Practicing it for a little bit gets the timing down easily

Offline Roadagain

• Regular Guay
« Reply #812 on: March 01, 2015, 12:04:03 PM »
Oh, right. I forgot that room's mandatory.
That's what I get for not running the game in ages. =P

Offline Weegeechan

• Regular Guay
« Reply #813 on: March 12, 2015, 08:42:21 PM »
So, I've updated a lot of the ALBW pages to add any information that has been missing for a while. I only have a few things to add like the Dark Palace to Turtle Rock trick. Btw, if anyone would like to make a video of that or knows if there is one, then that would be great! :) Also, if you guys know of anything that needs to be added to the ALBW pages, then please mention it to me.

-------------------------------------

I also found a semi-new technique! I've called in Success Skipping

http://zeldaspeedruns.com/albw/techniques/success-skipping

What it does is skip any "success" cutscene that plays after hitting a switch or anything similar. You place a bomb next to a switch and then stand near a loading zone. When the bomb is about to explode, enter the loading zone and the scene will get skipped. This is used in Dark Palace for that one window in 2F but I don't think we knew how it worked. It should have tons of uses throughout the game. So if anyone is glitch hunting, please try out some Success Skipping.

Btw, does anyone know who found the 2F Dark Palace SS in the first place? I want to give them credit on the ZSR page.

P.S, check out the Item Duping page I made. It includes a small key duping theory I think you guys should check out. There could be a potential use for it!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 08:44:10 PM by Weegeechan »

Offline Wastedweek

• Regular Guay
« Reply #814 on: March 12, 2015, 09:33:10 PM »
Could you link to the duping page, I can't find it.

*Edit* found it, this is really interesting. I'm sure there's a lot of places where this item duping is possible.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 09:36:37 PM by Wastedweek »

Offline Roadagain

• Regular Guay
« Reply #815 on: March 12, 2015, 09:51:44 PM »
So, I've updated a lot of the ALBW pages to add any information that has been missing for a while. I only have a few things to add like the Dark Palace to Turtle Rock trick. Btw, if anyone would like to make a video of that or knows if there is one, then that would be great! :) Also, if you guys know of anything that needs to be added to the ALBW pages, then please mention it to me

I think someone tried out key duping, but it didn't work. I'll probably give it a shot at some point tho.

One thing I've tried to have someone add for a while is the HC timesaver where you get on the rail with a soldier.
http://forums.zeldaspeedruns.com/index.php?topic=1478.msg27414#msg27414

I know it's not used, but it is a thing that should be noted. It does save some time, it just either sucks outright, or no one ever bothered to find a decent setup for it.

Offline Weegeechan

• Regular Guay
« Reply #816 on: March 13, 2015, 10:45:33 AM »
I think someone tried out key duping, but it didn't work. I'll probably give it a shot at some point tho.

One thing I've tried to have someone add for a while is the HC timesaver where you get on the rail with a soldier.
http://forums.zeldaspeedruns.com/index.php?topic=1478.msg27414#msg27414

I know it's not used, but it is a thing that should be noted. It does save some time, it just either sucks outright, or no one ever bothered to find a decent setup for it.

Oh ya! I totally forgot about that! Thanks for bringing that up. I'll add that to the HC page and maybe even try to find a setup for it.

Offline mzxrules

• Mega Guay
  • Wrong warp expert
« Reply #817 on: March 13, 2015, 11:00:47 AM »
One thing I've tried to have someone add for a while

Why didn't you add it yourself
Quote from:  Leigh Rogers
Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.

Offline Roadagain

• Regular Guay
« Reply #818 on: March 13, 2015, 01:55:11 PM »
Why didn't you add it yourself

I don't think I have the access.
Because I shouldn't have that, that sounds like a pretty terrible idea.

Offline Ahamplan

• Regular Guay
« Reply #819 on: March 13, 2015, 11:14:04 PM »
To weegeechan: that success skip thing was found quite a while ago by tdutchnick, we first found it in dark palace with the burnable wood on the wall

To the Key dupe: I have tested this myself also a while back when I duped monster guts from stepping on a switch in house of gales, and I tried it with a key and it doesnt work cause, the item needs to spawn on top of you not lurk it to you, also I've actually managed to dupe items, only did tail so far, but my dropping that item getting hit and picking it up, it creates kinda a collection delay and makes an extra copy on the ground a
nd its duped, so feel free to mess around with that

Offline Wastedweek

• Regular Guay
« Reply #820 on: March 14, 2015, 11:35:54 PM »
So I've been playing around with the bee boosts a lot lately. Particularly on files with only a sword in an attempt to gain access to dungeons pre-items. I've found that you can actually bee boost onto the side HoG. So far there's three areas I've found that you can boost onto, very litttle area to walk around without falling. See Links for Screenshots.

Here is the first location, from here you can walk around to the main wall, so far been unable to drop down onto the ledge. Don't appear to be able to interact with the blades etc
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAACXVHhkG9ZMTA

Here is the second area, you can also boost slightly up&left from this position. Imagine the windmill is a clock, you can boost to the 7oclock area.
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAAAtVHhkdWG9Fw

Unfortunatly as this was a no item file im yet tto test if you can T-rod up. I'm sure there are other areas around this dungeon where you can boost to.

Apolagies if this has been looked at before. I'm yet to see anything on it :) will continue testing after work.

Offline Wastedweek

• Regular Guay
« Reply #821 on: March 15, 2015, 04:45:27 AM »
Managed to clip into the shop by Hyrule lake. This is a pre-lamp clip and as you can see in the screenshot I have no y/x items. Take a look.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAAAEVHhkBztp8Q

Offline Roadagain

• Regular Guay
« Reply #822 on: March 15, 2015, 07:44:50 AM »
I think the Lake Shop clip is old (iirc also works in Lorule?), but I'm not sure if anyone ever bothered to bee boost for that.

Offline Weegeechan

• Regular Guay
« Reply #823 on: March 15, 2015, 07:34:35 PM »
I figured out a way to skip going through the Arrow door outside Eastern Palace. It's pretty pointless considering how much slower it would be rather than just opening the door, but I thought i'd post about it here anyways!

All you do is perform a Bomb Boost here:

then from there, walk up the stairs to the Armos and get OoB on the wall:

Then all you got to do is walk up to EP. I also found a very minor timesaver in EP.

In the arrow room where you press the switch, a Popo spawns right in front of the switch. It can be easily walked past if you walk along the edge north of it. It's a tiny TINY bit faster than killing it and but is too risky to do.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 06:28:15 PM by Weegeechan »

Offline Roadagain

• Regular Guay
« Reply #824 on: March 16, 2015, 12:47:13 AM »
I thought most people already did the EP Popo pass.
I don't feel confident doing it because I'm bad, but hey.

Offline Ahamplan

• Regular Guay
« Reply #825 on: March 16, 2015, 10:33:45 AM »
I never recommend to not slash the popo cause you could get hit or fall off and saving those .2 secs are defiantly not worth it imo

Offline Weegeechan

• Regular Guay
« Reply #826 on: March 16, 2015, 02:12:34 PM »
Ya, slashing the popo is definitely worth it :P  I just wanted to post about it here for any future reference.

Offline RheaultWnage

• Site Editor
  • Regular Guay
« Reply #827 on: March 17, 2015, 08:40:34 PM »
You can skip opening that arrow door before EP by going to the Witch's Hut, bombing the wall and going through the tunnel. :x

Offline Weegeechan

• Regular Guay
« Reply #828 on: March 17, 2015, 09:46:11 PM »
You can skip opening that arrow door before EP by going to the Witch's Hut, bombing the wall and going through the tunnel. :x
LOL I realized that after I made my post  :P I was actually thinking about that for the route.

Would it be faster to skip going to Eastern Palace first, and go straight to the Witch's hut to activate the bird statue? Then from there, bomb the cave and grab the 50 rupees in it and go to EP?

Or am I missing some key factor

Offline Anwonu

• Regular Guay
« Reply #829 on: March 17, 2015, 10:54:34 PM »
I don't see how it could be faster. If we already had the bell after EP, then I'd say it could be close, but we still need to walk to an Irene spot after EP to get the bell before flying to the vane.
The 50 extra rupees could help for the 100 rupees we need for Ice Rod, but I think the IR 300 gold chest would still be faster than doing this route =p
Now, if you plan on trying to get IR/QE before Lorule, then it may help. Personally, I think it's still slower, but who knows.

Offline Ahamplan

• Regular Guay
« Reply #830 on: March 18, 2015, 04:37:27 PM »
I actually just timed this according to a possible route thst can be taken, and it saves about a sec over the other one, or more if you get bad rng, plus you could skip the 8 ruppes in EP, and save another sec, so over all 2-4 secs can be saves in this route, so combined with my new route, this saves 22 secs over the old current route, good idea :D

Offline Weegeechan

• Regular Guay
« Reply #831 on: March 18, 2015, 07:14:13 PM »
I actually just timed this according to a possible route thst can be taken, and it saves about a sec over the other one, or more if you get bad rng, plus you could skip the 8 ruppes in EP, and save another sec, so over all 2-4 secs can be saves in this route, so combined with my new route, this saves 22 secs over the old current route, good idea :D

That's great! :) What's the new route you came up with?

Offline Weegeechan

• Regular Guay
« Reply #832 on: March 18, 2015, 09:10:13 PM »
I figured out a way to grab those 5 red rupees (worth 100 all together) behind the wooden stakes outside Eastern Palace. It's surprisingly fast and requires the Tornado Rod and involves manipulating and understanding the Tektite's AI.

So, the way the Tektite's AI works is:

A Tektite will perform an animation cycle, where it stomps the ground a little bit then shakes its head back and forth. A Tektite will only attack once it's finished an animation cycle (so after shaking it's head), then it jumps twice at you with it's last jump being either towards you or back towards it's spawn position if it's too far away. Then it always takes a few steps towards your current position before going back into an animation cycle. After that, it will do 1-3 animation cycles before attacking again but can be forced to attack by either bumping into it or by attacking it. When first entering a Tektite's attack range, it will always attack after it's animation cycle finishes.

So using this knowledge, it's possible to get those rupees really fast. Before leaving the cave, equip the Tornado Rod. Then leave and head down to the wooden stakes. When you reach this spot:

Stop moving for about 10-15 milliseconds then continue walking. The reason to do that is because if you walk straight to the stakes, the Tektite in front of them will just have finished an animation cycle and will attack you right away. This will mess up it's position and make the upcoming clip a lot slower. So waiting for those 20 ms will allow you to enter it's attack range without it attacking you instantly, allowing you to get into position.

Anyways, get into this position:

Then when the Tektite jumps towards you, move north out of the way and then move back quickly to get hurt by it. Quickly run into it's body and T-rod before it jumps and you'll get pushed through the stakes. Also, the reason for this spot is because being too far left will attract another Tektite making this more difficult.

Then grab all the rupees and get back into position here:

The Tektite will perform it's 2nd jump towards you and when it's above your head, T-rod and it will fall on top of you, letting you clip through the stakes.

This may sound difficult but it's honestly really easy and fast!  :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 09:31:44 AM by Weegeechan »

Offline Weegeechan

• Regular Guay
« Reply #833 on: March 19, 2015, 04:18:28 PM »
I should also note that it's possible to grab the 100 rupee chest outside EP pretty easily.

Just attract the Armos near that area, slash it twice towards this spot (just to speed things up) and T-Rod to get onto the ledge.

Offline Wastedweek

• Regular Guay
« Reply #834 on: March 20, 2015, 01:09:29 AM »
I have another useless but nonetheless interesting bee boost here.

So this is South of the cave where you do the powerglove skip. Quite a difficult bee boost to do but still possible.

From there, you can walk south. Then east over to the sanctuary area. You can merge and walk in either direction but eventually get stopped by a barrier.

Something interesting to note is that you can screen transition and clip into the wall.

From here you can actually walk slightly then before you fall Oob you can T-rod up onto the higher platform. I've only managed to do this once; unfortunately I begun to walk around before posting something to miiverse. You can walk around up there but only along the very edge from what I could gather. Id be interested to know if you can dash onto the trees to the right but I have a feeling you cant.

In regards to the screen transition into a wall clip, I'm really interested in finding other areas in the game where this may happen so i'm going to work on that next. I feel that t-rodding from a wall clip up to a higher area may open up new options. I'm doubtful thy could be applied to a speed run but you never know eh?

Lastly, you can bee boost to a heartpiece south of eastern palace. whey!

Offline Roadagain

• Regular Guay
« Reply #835 on: March 20, 2015, 04:01:07 PM »
While not helpful in the least, I do know one place where it can be done. When you do Roadskip (Or some other zany OoB trick) to reach the Hyrule Castle moat, you can swim to screen transitions in a few spots that let you inside the walls like that, and hopefull allow you to T-Rob back inbounds.I think it's the only way to get back without dying actually.

I think I know a trick that might need a Bee Boost tho. (Or at least a really good thrown bomb boost)
It'd be nice if you could boost yourself to the OoB section directly north of Turtle Rock. The only place I can think of you could probably pull it off is close to the spot where the Turtle is stuck on the wall.

If someone reached that area, I'd be interested to know.

Offline Wastedweek

• Regular Guay
« Reply #836 on: March 20, 2015, 10:48:16 PM »
I think I know a trick that might need a Bee Boost tho. (Or at least a really good thrown bomb boost)
It'd be nice if you could boost yourself to the OoB section directly north of Turtle Rock. The only place I can think of you could probably pull it off is close to the spot where the Turtle is stuck on the wall.

If someone reached that area, I'd be interested to know.

Is this the spot you mean? what do you have in mind? Ill post screens in a bit, found some interesting stuff up near the witches hut.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 10:53:49 PM by Wastedweek »

Offline Weegeechan

• Regular Guay
« Reply #837 on: March 22, 2015, 11:14:47 AM »
Is this the spot you mean? what do you have in mind? Ill post screens in a bit, found some interesting stuff up near the witches hut.

Hey, how did you actually get up there with the turtle? I tried a fire rod boost, bomb boost, boost from the Dacto but none of them would get Link on the ledge. Did you use a Bee for it?

Offline Wastedweek

• Regular Guay
« Reply #838 on: March 22, 2015, 05:53:28 PM »
Hey, how did you actually get up there with the turtle? I tried a fire rod boost, bomb boost, boost from the Dacto but none of them would get Link on the ledge. Did you use a Bee for it?

Yes weegee, just grab a bee from the bushes near the shop. Its an easy boost with a bee. Not much to be done up there, you can walk around and screen transition. If you drop down towards the turtle you fall through it to the water.

Whilst on I will post some other stuff near the witches hut I found. So up past the area you merge/bee boost to get to Zora's domain you can bee boost up on to the top ledge.

From there you can either head north to Zora's domain or continue back towards the witches hut. There is a particularly interesting long piece of wall you can merge onto that runs north to south. Why is it interesting? Well, depending on the timing you can do some pretty weird stuff with the wall, in some cases you can Merge on to the wall and the camera pans 180 degrees, you're essentially viewing the game from the opposite direction.

This only lasts for a few seconds then you fall Oob.

The other scenario is that you merge, and just as the camera begins to pan around you can unmerge - you pop out on the other side of the wall! This is, from what I've seen so far, very tight to perform, and as soon as you unmerge the opposite side of the wall you fall Oob. I've never experiance this in game before so its pretty interesting to see happen. Maybe someone could grab a video of it?

Next, you can continue to walk further along the wall, here we find an interesting invisible wall that you can actually walk on/merge on (havnt seen this ingame before?)

I tried dropping down behind the wall to land on the ledge but it doesn't seem possible.

and finally you can walk south along the wall all the way towards the screen with the bridge, it seems impossible to progress any further without falling off.

Again, pretty useless finds, but seeing the way the game messes up in these areas in interesting nonetheless. Particularly that one section of wall.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 06:09:28 PM by Wastedweek »

Offline Weegeechan

• Regular Guay
« Reply #839 on: March 22, 2015, 06:06:01 PM »
Did you try dash sliding to the floating platforms that are part of Turtle Rock? I always wanted to try dash sliding to them to see if it was possible to get in Turtle Rock that way

EDIT: Really awesome new finds! :D Bee boosting definitely is different than all the other damage boosting types. I think I'm going to try and mess around with it myself too.

That reverse angle shot is so cool!

« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 06:19:43 PM by Weegeechan »