ZSR Forums
April 16, 2024, 09:56:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 57
  Print  
Author Topic: Tricks/Glitches/Timesavers topic  (Read 624715 times)
KingOfHeart
Special Guay

« Reply #195 on: December 20, 2013, 09:38:36 AM »

If anyone can get the timing down, those Plant Enemies in the Skull Woods, do push you.
So far though, I only got pushed side ways when I tried to get over the woods.
If you can use these guys, might be possible of completely skipping the skull woods dungeon.
CloudMax
Site Editor
Mega Guay

« Reply #196 on: December 20, 2013, 10:12:43 AM »

If anyone can get the timing down, those Plant Enemies in the Skull Woods, do push you.
So far though, I only got pushed side ways when I tried to get over the woods.
If you can use these guys, might be possible of completely skipping the skull woods dungeon.

I assume you mean the Snap Dragon?
Yeah, they can be used for clipping, but not in the same way that Armos and Deadrock does. The difference is that the armos and deadrock can push you up and to the side, allowing you to get up ledges, and thru acute corners. Other enemies only push you to the sides, which limits you to clipping thru acute corners, and not actually up on top of things, which is sad. (exception being the skull woods boss, and now possibly the wallmaster)
I have managed to use a chuchu to use the hookshot thru a wall in Lost Woods. The problem is that when I hit the tree stump (at least it looked like I hit it every time), I didn't get pulled thru the wall. However, IF it is possible to hookshot thru the walls in Skull Woods / Lost Woods and actually get pulled thru, we may be able to use a Snap Dragon to connect to one of the tree stumps close to the end of skull woods and skip a decent portion of the dungeon.

kirbymastah
Regular Guay

« Reply #197 on: December 20, 2013, 10:48:50 PM »

Strange glitch I encountered today, while practicing the beginning of Lorule for any%. Not sure if this is known, and it's probably useless, but maybe it'll spur on some ideas in other areas?

In Kakariko village, there's a portal on the back of saharhekaweewk's house that leads to Skull Woods area.

Here's what I did:
1. Fly to kakariko village's weather vane
2. Take the portal in the back of saharwhateverhisstupidnameis's house
3. WITHOUT emerging from the wall of the house in Lorule, walk around to the front of the house where there's a huge canyon and pop out of the wall to fall into the canyon.

Link will spawn back at the weather vane in kakariko village. I guess the game doesn't really keep track of where you should spawn until after you emerge from the wall? Tongue

I tried this out because I was wondering if there was a way to skip Hilda's text upon entering the skull woods area the first time.
Teague
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #198 on: December 20, 2013, 11:43:27 PM »

Strange glitch I encountered today, while practicing the beginning of Lorule for any%. Not sure if this is known, and it's probably useless, but maybe it'll spur on some ideas in other areas?

In Kakariko village, there's a portal on the back of saharhekaweewk's house that leads to Skull Woods area.

Here's what I did:
1. Fly to kakariko village's weather vane
2. Take the portal in the back of saharwhateverhisstupidnameis's house
3. WITHOUT emerging from the wall of the house in Lorule, walk around to the front of the house where there's a huge canyon and pop out of the wall to fall into the canyon.

Link will spawn back at the weather vane in kakariko village. I guess the game doesn't really keep track of where you should spawn until after you emerge from the wall? Tongue

I tried this out because I was wondering if there was a way to skip Hilda's text upon entering the skull woods area the first time.
This is known about. Unfortunately is doesn't seem like its that useful and there is only a handful of places where this is possible anyway.
CloudMax
Site Editor
Mega Guay

« Reply #199 on: December 22, 2013, 10:44:36 AM »

I'm to lazy to rewrite all the stuff I've mentioned in the IRC, so I'll just look thru the logs from the past week or so and paste all kind of useless stuff I've tested or found. This means that the wording can be horrible, as I typed it in a rush most of the times. I'll write an explanation if I mention stuff that may not be known to some people.
I've cut out a lot of stuff from these quotes.
I'm not sure if all of this has already been posted, I believe some of it was never posted, like the soft-resest while saving crash, and the cucco things I tested. Perhaps even the treacherous tower thing, not sure if I posted an explanation of it or whatever here on the forum. I am almost positive that I didn't post the thing from that last quote though?

The first part of this quote is from #zeldahacking rather than #albw, I usually talk there with mzxrules.
I found it quite funny, because the initial guess I made in the morning was actually correct. And on my way to making the file to attempt skipping the initial dialog I visited Sahasrahla, where I found out about the soft-reset crash, which is why there are about 2 hours inbetween my guess and the skip.
[11:26] * Now talking in #zeldahacking
[11:28] <%mzxrules> cloud we need to figure out that Energy Bar skip
[11:29] <CloudMax> energy bar skip? what have I missed :p
[11:29] <%mzxrules> something silly
[11:29] <%mzxrules> http://bruceaking.com/Z.JPG
[11:38] <CloudMax> idea: What if he skipped the initial dialog somehow. Imagine unlocking shop before first grabbing the bow. Or perhaps doing the "re-borrow" dialog, before you get it your first time.
*1 hour later, now in the #albw channel*
[12:30] <@CloudMax> I realised like 5min ago that you can soft-reset the game with L+R+Start
[12:35] <@CloudMax> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6440063/albw/albw_soft_reset_crash.jpg They just can't get the soft-resets done right in zelda games, can they?
[12:37] <@CloudMax> I do a indoor screen transition where it goes over a wall when walking thru and reset during it
[12:39] <@CloudMax> A 100% crash rate, hell yeah
*15 minutes later*
[12:52] <@CloudMax> I just did a reset while saving
[12:52] <@CloudMax> I can hear the music
[12:52] <@CloudMax> screen is black
[12:52] <@CloudMax> can't do anything
[12:53] <@CloudMax> can't use home button D:
[12:53] <@Hitaka> you idiot
[12:53] <@Hitaka> it tells you not to do that
[12:54] <@Hitaka> rip save data
[12:54] <@CloudMax> a 3 heart file on my brothers cart. worst case scenario. he looses his file.
[12:54] <@Hitaka> Such brotherly love!
[12:54] <@CloudMax> well would you look at that. file is still there.
[12:55] <@CloudMax> still, why the HELL don't they disable soft-reset during saving? that's just retarded.
[12:56] <@CloudMax> they even do that in SS.
[12:56] <@Hitaka> yeah that really is retarded
[12:56] <@Hitaka> they disable it other places
[12:56] <@CloudMax> I used the old man in kakariko when he asks to save after changing shadow link settings. perhaps it is disabled for weather vanes?
[12:56] <@CloudMax> didn't try resetting while saving at those
[12:56] <@Hitaka> idk
[12:56] <@Hitaka> I'm not trying it
[12:57] <@Hitaka> I have precious giant cucco save data
[12:57] <@CloudMax> I don't really want to try either, lol
*20 minutes later*
[13:20] <@CloudMax> ...
[13:21] <@CloudMax> I just skipped the energy bar?
[13:23] <@CloudMax> I have the bow, he is still asking me what symbol I saw at eastern palace, lol
[13:24] <@CloudMax> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6440063/albw/skip_energy_bar.jpg I have bow, but not the bar.
[13:25] <@CloudMax> he just gave me the bow, when I had the bow. cool guy.
That's one way of spending the morning. Crashing the game and risk corrupting a save file, all while making a file to try out a simple idea I had in the morning. :|
If someone wants to mess around with soft-resets while saving, feel free to do so, but you may corrupt your savefile while doing so.

[11:54] <Pikachu1494> did anyone find a way to clip in the treacherous tower
[11:54] <@CloudMax> I clipped past the girl outside
[11:54] <@CloudMax> or, well, I walked around her
[11:54] <Pikachu1494> how?
[11:55] <@CloudMax> I used the Ice Armos thingys that's down below, lured them up to the top right and used the tornado rod to get pushed up on the ledge
[11:55] <@CloudMax> then walked on the side of the bridge and around her
[12:01] <@CloudMax> https://www.dropbox.com/s/57p4lq45uxf296y/treacherous_tower_no_loading_zone.mov a very bad quality video I recorded of me walking around at the entrance. I held the phone with 1 hand, and the 3ds with the other, so it's very bad, lol. That's from when I did it the first time.
This is a useless glitch, but some may find it interesting.

[12:29] <@CloudMax> lol. I just noticed that when you use cuccos, you gain so much height you can get up on ledges next to the edges you jump from. In kakariko for example, directly after you jump, change direction toward the ledge next to the location you jumped from and you'll get up on it. can't get OoB from there though, seems to be an invisible wall you can't get thru (even though bombs can get thrown up on the cliff) Example: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6440063/albw/cucco_up_ledges.jpg
[12:35] <@CloudMax> and since you always walk (or swim) in the overworld transitions, flying into them with cuccos, etc. makes you walk in midair during the transition, you can use for example the tornado rod, etc. before you start falling after the transition, but I haven't found anything useful at all with it. hookshot refuses to activate, link only pull it out.
[12:43] <@CloudMax> can merge onto the thieves' building that has the portrait slightly higher by using hookshot from the ledge or fence to the right of it.
[12:46] <@CloudMax> not useful at all
[12:46] <@CloudMax> I just merge on the side of the building slightly higher (same height as the ledges to the right of it)
I did not do that much testing with this trick, mostly due to the fact that not many areas in the game have a cucco to begin with, but maybe someone'll find something useful?

[13:39] <@CloudMax> yay. Finally found a wall that you can merge onto using the door frame merge glitch, that you normally can't merge onto. totally useless, but it proves that it is possible. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6440063/non-mergeable_wall_door_frame_trick.jpg You can normally not merge onto that wall, but by hugging the south side of the doorframe when entering and pressing A at just the right time, you'll be able to merge onto the wall.
[13:45] <@CloudMax> same goes for the room that door leads too. You can merge to the side of it. Normally you'd have to make a sand pillar, then merge.
Basically the "door frame merge" glitch (I call it something different every time I mention it, so, yeah) is basically an odd merge behaviour that works at various door frames.
When you stand inside a doorway and hug the door frame on either side and face toward it, it is sometimes possible to merge.
This will merge you thru the door frame and onto the wall next to it. All the previous doors I had tried where this was possible, you could simply just stand next to the door and merge, making the glitch itself completely useless.
Which is where it gets interesting. As mentioned in the quote, I managed to find a location in the game where the glitch could be used to merge onto a wall that you normally can't merge onto. It is still just as useless, but it proves that it is possible to use this glitch to merge onto non-mergeable walls. (even if very, very limited to a few locations in the game)
Now, if it was possible to do this everywhere, this could be used to skip a lot of stuff in various dungeons. I doubt it is possible though.

I messed around more with the merge storage thing, and there are MANY ways to do it. It is still limited to the same rooms as previously though.
It appears that it works by leaving a mergeable wall while the merge option is disabled. This is why we could use pegasus boots away from a wall to store it. While you use pegasus boots, the merge option is disabled.
This means that you can store the merge using other methods. You can hold the shield and walk away from the wall since that also disables the merge action.
You can also charge a spin attack. You can even use pegasus right into the mergable wall. The recoil will bounce you far enough from the wall.
Some walls unmerge you further, making it so that the merge option isn't available when you land. This will also store the merge location, as the merge option was disabled when you "jumped" away from the wall when unmerging.
So basically any method of getting away from the wall while the merge option is disabled will store it.

I also tried placing a gargoyle statue on top of another (the ones that aren't alive that is), and the one put on top will just continue to slide down following the direction it was initially coming from.

Edit:
I do not know if it's common knowledge (at least I've know about it for a long time, I assume other know about it as well), but it's possible to change direction right before you jump out of water and have link surface in that direction instead. It can be used to get up on ledges and the water level thingys in swamp palace for example. Not useful in anyway, but someone may find a use for it.
Anyway, I tried to use this trick to get into the unreachable water in Hyrule by jumping over the stone barrier that's placed next to a place where you can surface, but you couldn't walk over them. You can just barely land on a small spot and instantly slide down.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6440063/albw/failed_attempt_at_unreachable_water.jpg
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 12:58:02 PM by CloudMax » Logged

Kazooie
Special Guay

Oot 3DS!!!!

Kazooiebombchu
« Reply #200 on: December 22, 2013, 01:16:10 PM »

Great job CloudMax with all this stuff you have been doing! It's amazing to read how much effor you put to this game. Keep up to good work and eventually you'll wind something bigger Cheesy

~Your fan Kazooie

My stream and youtube channel. Be sure to check them out and leave comments. Have fun!!!
http://www.twitch.tv/kazooiebombchu
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=Kazooie
Currently working on: DKC3 105% segmented speedrun and racing games
KingOfHeart
Special Guay

« Reply #201 on: December 23, 2013, 07:16:10 AM »

That's one way of spending the morning. Crashing the game and risk corrupting a save file, all while making a file to try out a simple idea I had in the morning. :|
If someone wants to mess around with soft-resets while saving, feel free to do so, but you may corrupt your savefile while doing so.
I guess that "back in time glitch" is out Tongue
Pedalpowertoast
Site Editor
Mega Guay

I'm an artist :O

« Reply #202 on: December 23, 2013, 12:42:15 PM »

Crashing the game and risk corrupting a save file, all while making a file to try out a simple idea I had in the morning. :|
1. You can hard crash OoT3D in 2 different ways and ive yet to see any problems.
2. I actually tested reset while saving in PH and it had some interesting effects I didnt know. If you reset immediately the whole save is gone, reset a bit later and it says your file is corrupted and it loads the previous save (kinda like pokemon games) and if you reset a bit later after that, the file is fine.

Did anyone test softreset while continuing from a gameover? (TWW and SS style)

http://www.youtube.com/user/Pedalpowerluigi

Using a slow version on purpose is your choice, but you will get no sympathy or agreement from me.
Lol
CloudMax
Site Editor
Mega Guay

« Reply #203 on: December 23, 2013, 05:33:59 PM »

1. You can hard crash OoT3D in 2 different ways and ive yet to see any problems.
2. I actually tested reset while saving in PH and it had some interesting effects I didnt know. If you reset immediately the whole save is gone, reset a bit later and it says your file is corrupted and it loads the previous save (kinda like pokemon games) and if you reset a bit later after that, the file is fine.

Did anyone test softreset while continuing from a gameover? (TWW and SS style)

The difference is that the game start to behave weird if you reset while saving, it is not an actual crash, the game is still going (only music).
Hard crashes I don't worry about at all. I did that crash at least 10 times in total. Messing around with saves can however ruin files.
And there's the fact that your entire oot3d save is deleted if you make it "corrupt" by changing a single byte in a savefile manually. But this could just be a false alarm, and it actually does provide backups if you corrupt stuff legit.

And softreset is disabled in most scenarios, including when you continue.

Serris
Deku Scrub

« Reply #204 on: December 24, 2013, 08:11:41 AM »

For what it's worth, you can bring a pot from the first House of Gales room to throw at the switch in the next one. Might be useful if you don't have bombs equipped/obtained at that point for whatever reason (route changes/different category) or just want to save the energy.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 08:14:28 AM by Serris » Logged
nathanisbored
Site Editor
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #205 on: December 24, 2013, 07:54:13 PM »

DP improvement by Zander:
http://www.twitch.tv/zandergothsrl/c/3441825
RheaultWnage
Site Editor
Regular Guay

« Reply #206 on: December 24, 2013, 10:16:05 PM »

Why does nobody do this actually? (at least I don't see anybody who does this)

http://www.twitch.tv/tdutchnick96/c/3443778
What is "this" exactly? Following Yuga as he is moving in the wall? To my knowledge, when his real portrait passes over another one, the real Yuga can take any direction. (Let's say the real was going from left to right, and passes over another one that was going from right to left. The real one can then either keep going right, or switch and start going left.) The switch doesn't seem to have happened during your fight, which is why following it all the way was better than waiting in the middle when they cross.
Teague
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #207 on: December 25, 2013, 01:33:22 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yid3P9kVEkw

Wasn't uploaded on YT separately, so here it is; an easy mine skip.

P.S. Don't mind the music
Can't remember who found this method but it definitely seems faster and much easier to do than old death mountain skip.  Just remember to activate the bird statue on your way up death mountain...
RheaultWnage
Site Editor
Regular Guay

« Reply #208 on: December 25, 2013, 06:40:03 AM »

I don't remember if this has been mentionned here in the past (because I actually just learned about it yesterday/today, thanks to KoffingRockz), but [in Thieves] you can delay the spawn of the blue enemies near the ground switches that reveal the Master Ore chest, and basically not have to worry about them at all. Details are on the Thieves Hideout page on the website!
SkippyJr
Deku Scrub

« Reply #209 on: December 25, 2013, 03:44:55 PM »

Quick access to Desert Palace with Vulture Bump!  Get bumped onto the edge of the stairs nearest the entrance, and just walk on over.

VIDEO [2MB WMV]

NOTES:
 - Works best if the vulture stops and attacks from the left or bottom when circling.  This means that the orientation of a creature sometimes matters when getting a bump.
 - The attack pattern is currently inconsistent.  Staying a step away from the wall seems to increase the chances of being attacked from the left the first time.
 - At the top of the stairs, don't hug the wall as you won't transfer onto the ledge.  Walk diagonally onto it.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 57
  Print  

Jump to: