Author Topic: Tricks/Glitches/Timesavers topic  (Read 609789 times)

Offline ZFG

• Mega Guay
  • also pheenoh <3
Tricks/Glitches/Timesavers topic
« on: November 24, 2013, 02:11:13 PM »
Skull woods boss skip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqUjDfuRoSY

Portal clipping http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H1VPB40jyY (so far useless but needs testing)

Merge glitch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR67AQK0Jhc

House of gales tricks http://www.twitch.tv/irule782/c/3294168 and http://www.twitch.tv/irule782/c/3294174

I haven't finished the game yet, I just wanna post somewhere that if you get the Stamina Scroll from the Ice Ruins, you can skip some of the puzzles leading up to the desert temple. You're supposed to travel between Hyrule and Lorule a couple times and use the Sand Rod to navigate the desert, but with the increased gauge you can just merge with the wall and skip most of it. Dunno if it would save enough time to warrant going out of the way to get the Stamina Scroll or shuffle dungeons around to make it work.
[Needs video]

In the ore mine, you can skip a bunch of platforms on the way to the bottom.  From the 3rd platform from the entrance, pegasus boots dash off the right side and you can barely reach one of the platforms on the way to the bottom.  From there you can skip another platform by walking off the right side at the right time, then from there just 1 more to the bottom.  I think you might be able to skip the 2nd last platform but I haven;t been able to do it.  [Needs video]

In the swamp palace, you can get the big key as soon as you enter the main room by dashing towards it on one of the corners then just using the tornado rod.  Saves a few seconds to get it now rather than later.  [Needs video]

Post more
I for one think that there are no glitches in OoT. It's just gameshark codes.

RBA stands for Rare Bird Adventure. We call it that because we need to get the blue cucco in order to use it.

Offline mzxrules

• Mega Guay
  • Wrong warp expert
Re: Tricks/Glitches/Timesavers topic
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 02:26:36 PM »
Some observations:

Ravio won't sell the bow until the cutscene where you observe orbs in the Eastern Palace plays. Dying immediately afterwards takes you straight to him.

Dying appears to give you the option to warp back to Link's house, which might be faster to do to reach Hyrule from Lorule.

Mama Maimai's children don't spawn until you talk to her first.

The Boomerang seems to be completely unnecessary for puzzle solving.

Items become buyable after the first three dungeons. Ice/Fire Rods are 1200 ea, everything else is 800 ea.

Seems like if we could clip into the boss arena somehow for the Desert dungeon, that'd be pretty big.

Desert Palace is where you rescue Irene. While captured there is only a single text box each time the broom is called vs possibly multiple text boxes. However, text is incredibly quick and an optimal route probably wouldn't have all that many teleports.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 06:42:39 PM by mzxrules »
Quote from:  Leigh Rogers
Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.

Offline Greenalink

• Special Guay
  • DS Dictator
    • Greenalink's Youtube page
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 02:32:02 PM »
Image 1
Early Lorule Castle seems to be out of the question, if you time the A button correctly, Link won't open the door properly. The animation is similar to opening a locked door without a key.

Image 2
Clipping through a 'south' portal you get to see a blue OoB.
New DS PHAT Capture Device on its way (Sep 2011)!!!
More info:
http://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/3ds_capture_device_214.html

Yes I am a speed runner focused on DS games
Notable runs:
Phantom Hourglass
SM64 DS
New Super Mario Bros (DS).

Offline Hornlitz

• Regular Guay
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 02:37:59 PM »
Kakariko Heart Piece Early:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLoTX75lCR8

Absolutely useless clip into a tree:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhWZVigvL2w

The Early Heart Piece could possibly be useful for 100%, but it may just be faster to get the power glove and then get it perhaps when going back to get the Master Sword.

I haven't found anywhere else where you can do anything similar to the Clip into the tree. Interesting that it works here and nowhere else though.

Offline mzxrules

• Mega Guay
  • Wrong warp expert
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 03:13:23 PM »
Few more things:

You can avoid a short dialog with the Zora on the route to Queen Zora by leaving the board while still merged to the wall.

The Smooth Gem can be bought as soon as the Thief bumps into you (rather than after talking to the Queen first). The cutscene where the Queen bloats up still plays as normal.
Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.

Offline Greenalink

• Special Guay
  • DS Dictator
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 03:47:24 PM »
Quick Equip* is unlocked after picking up the Master Sword and then entering Ravio's house.
The Quick Equip tab is unlocked after unlocking Lorule and then entering Ravio's house

* I think Quick Equip does NOT work if you only have one item slot. I need to double check that.

There is a boss key strat in the Ice ruins where falling into the pit right afterwards should spawn Link to Floor 1, as long you were only touching the lift platforms when going down from F1 to B5(?) to get the Boss Key. Video should come tomorrow.
More info:

Notable runs:
Phantom Hourglass
SM64 DS

Offline zellpree

• Deku Scrub
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 05:51:34 PM »
You don't need to observe the signs at the eastern palace.  You just need to watch the cutscene where it shows you the two orbs.

Offline zellpree

• Deku Scrub
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 06:00:48 PM »
We also need to plan deathwarps later on in the run carefully, if at all.

If we die, then we lose most items to Ravio.  Would death warping be worth it after you enter Lorule anyway?

Offline ZFG

• Mega Guay
  • also pheenoh <3
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, 06:40:25 PM »
We also need to plan deathwarps later on in the run carefully, if at all.

If we die, then we lose most items to Ravio.  Would death warping be worth it after you enter Lorule anyway?
I can't see deathwarping ever saving time after getting the bow.  ravio + the fact you get fast travel really early on.

RBA stands for Rare Bird Adventure. We call it that because we need to get the blue cucco in order to use it.

Offline mzxrules

• Mega Guay
  • Wrong warp expert
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2013, 06:41:28 PM »
Rental prices:

010 Bow?
020 Tornado Rod, Hammer
050 Bombs, Sand Rod?, Boomerang, Hookshot
100 Ice Rod, Fire Rod

That ends up being 450 to rent everything, 400 if the boomerang is skipped.

Buy prices
0800 7 items
1200 Ice Rod, Fire Rod

For 100%, it costs at minimum 7440 or 7640 rupees to buy every item. All items summed up come out to be 8k for everything, but there is a 50% discount on the first item that saves 400 or 600 depending on which item you buy first. The 40 comes from the fact that the Tornado Rod and Hammer have to be rented to unlock the option to buy items (by completing the dungeons that require these items).

You don't need to observe the signs at the eastern palace.  You just need to watch the cutscene where it shows you the two orbs.

This is what I meant. I've fixed my post to be more clear.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 10:05:35 PM by mzxrules »
Braid

Offline zellpree

• Deku Scrub
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2013, 06:57:18 PM »
I don't see us getting the boomerang in the speedrun, I never even used it casually.

When in the route do we buy Bombs, Hookshot, Ice Rod, Sand Rod, and Fire Rod?

I know to get the Sand Rod, it's some trigger event, but I forgot what the trigger is >.>

Offline ZFG

• Mega Guay
  • also pheenoh <3
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2013, 09:34:24 PM »
I think a boss skip might also be possible with the swamp palace boss.  I couldn't get it myself, but the exit is right behind the wall just like skull woods. 

In the hookshot section of lorule castle, you can skip the first puzzle by using the ice rod to create platforms and use that to bring the first eye to the hole.

For the eyes in skull woods and lorule castle, it definitely seems faster to continuously throw them and pick them up rather than just carrying them the whole way.

I also found a way to get a key early in skull woods in the room where you go in the platform with a cage ceiling by dashing off the first platform towards the chest.  Unfortunately it seems useless since you would still need to wait for the platform to come back.

For the electric jellyfish things (mainly the big miniboss ones) using the hookshot on them where they're electrified makes them go back to normal.  (cant remember if this was the case in lttp too so sorry if this is obvious)

Probably obvious but you can skip a key in swamp palace by using the same door to get to the water changing room on the top floor.  The key you should skip should probably be the one in the other water raising room where you need to raise the water to the highest.

As for boomerang, I definitely agree with skipping it.  I just finished my 2nd playthrough which I used for routing and I didn't find any places boomerang saves time.

Does anyone have a good strat for the first phase of the final boss besides just hit and run?  It feels really slow and even with blue mail + 12 hearts I died a few times. 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 09:38:38 PM by ZFG »

Offline Ovenn

• Deku Scrub
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2013, 10:38:44 PM »
I was screwing around with Hornlitz's Absolutely Useless Tree Clip and found that there is a way to position yourself differently in the tree, and also to get into the tree on the other side.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMdRJgIKe-0

It's still absolutely useless.

Offline mzxrules

• Mega Guay
  • Wrong warp expert
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 06:54:59 AM »
Sand Rod Softlock http://youtu.be/NelBVWRdfaU
Braid

Offline quo

• Regular Guay
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2013, 07:19:39 AM »
http://youtu.be/A4H8hqCF7-c

So OoT has been out for 15 years and nintendo still hasn't fixed this... Could be useful if we can clip through walls in multi level rooms

* I think Quick Equip does NOT work if you only have one item slot. I need to double check that.

Quick Equip still works with only 1 slot

Offline Hornlitz

• Regular Guay
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2013, 07:33:43 AM »
I tested out the swamp palace boss skip and I don't think it's possible. The boss never really gets close enough to the wall until the 2nd phase, and during that phase he'll knock you out of the air as he's coming down.

Also, in the swamp palace dungeon, I found something interesting. By the crystal switch furthest left on the screen in the room with 3 crystal switches, if you merge right by the stairs, you'll clip through the corner a tiny bit. You can't travel through the stairs or anything, but it's weird how that works. Video might come later.

Offline Cluck

• Deku Scrub
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2013, 08:55:23 AM »
Does anyone have a good strat for the first phase of the final boss besides just hit and run?  It feels really slow and even with blue mail + 12 hearts I died a few times. 

http://www.twitch.tv/xcluck/c/3296504

here's my final boss fight, not sure if my strat was any different than yours. I basically tried to stay towards the bottom of the room so he never teleports behind me, and run at him as soon as he appears to start his attack animation.

Note: I did this with the level 1 master sword, and yeah, it's really slow and easy to die. I counted around 35 hits for each phase. Upgrading sword and grabbing red tunic would probably make this quite a bit faster.

Offline Chamros

• Deku Scrub
Re: Tricks/Glitches/Timesavers topicp
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2013, 09:13:26 AM »
It seems that in the lost woods where you have to go a different way than the three poes, you always have to go south (can anyone confirm if they had to go a different way?)

Also, grabbing the red tunic takes about 10 sec, and it makes the last fight a lot easier, since it allows you to get hit a couple of times to do more hits on him (without the risk of dying in 2-3 hits).
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 09:15:55 AM by Chamros »

Offline mzxrules

• Mega Guay
  • Wrong warp expert
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2013, 09:21:32 AM »
It seems that in the lost woods where you have to go a different way than the three poes, you always have to go south (can anyone confirm if they had to go a different way?)

That's what it seemed like to me. So far both times I made it by going south.

I discovered something new about the mechanics of dying. The first time you enter Lorule you always spawn at the Lorule Blacksmith's house every time you die, and have the option to spawn there instead while in a dungeon. It seems like your spawn point changes either once you return to Hyrule for the first time, or possibly by visiting Ravio (not sure which).

Also, you can avoid talking to Sahasrahla who stands near Link's house by just sliding along the wall around Link's house / using a different crack?
Braid

Offline Cluck

• Deku Scrub
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2013, 09:54:51 AM »
That's what it seemed like to me. So far both times I made it by going south.

South twice for me as well, so I guess that's confirmed. It'll be nice not paying attention to that.

Offline Volvagia

• Regular Guay
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2013, 11:06:57 AM »
Kakariko Heart Piece Early:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLoTX75lCR8

The Early Heart Piece could possibly be useful for 100%, but it may just be faster to get the power glove and then get it perhaps when going back to get the Master Sword.

I haven't found anywhere else where you can do anything similar to the Clip into the tree. Interesting that it works here and nowhere else though.

I did this (heart piece early) in my first casual run through of it... I think it's pretty common knowledge but probably a good idea to document it for the route makers. I'm assuming everyone knew about it though right away... I hope.

I did also consider that with the Master Sword, but maybe it's not actually faster since we're in Kakariko anyway... Some timing should be done on this actually when a route is constructed just to see how long it takes. You can drop the Cucco in mid-air I think also by the way to drop faster.

Offline Greenalink

• Special Guay
  • DS Dictator
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2013, 03:06:16 PM »
Pretty intense glitch hunting today but surprisingly both useless.

Image 1
You can go OoB next to the bridge of Lorule Castle entrance by clipping the top left corner of that area with a Hinox (cyclops bomber) and then use the tornado rod to push Link to top of the bridge where the gap is. There is a pit around the left side OoB part of the castle and you cannot merge to go around it  :'(

Image 2
By portal clipping, you can enter the boss area of Desert Palace but you cannot trigger the fight properly or even kill it :(

« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 03:09:30 PM by Greenalink »
More info:

Notable runs:
Phantom Hourglass
SM64 DS

Offline A_Cute_Lynx

• Deku Scrub
  • Flaunter
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2013, 03:18:20 PM »
so here is proof of collision under an object you can clip thru i also get on top of the house we can break this game guys
http://youtu.be/4o1ZMZzo88c

also want to use this time to plug the irc channel on srl's irc we have #albw if you're on srl irc come join us

Offline doommaker

• Special Guay
  • The DoomJump....The most hated name of all time.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/doommaker10000
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2013, 07:44:38 PM »
You can clip into a sand block if you place a bomb behind you and raise the sand just as the bomb explodes.

Probably not very useful,but still...

Offline Hornlitz

• Regular Guay
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2013, 08:03:10 PM »
You can clip into a sand block if you place a bomb behind you and raise the sand just as the bomb explodes.

Probably not very useful,but still...

If you use the Tornado Rod while inside, do you go on top of the sand block? (Or does that destroy the sand block?) Cause if it puts you on top, this would be quite useful actually.

Offline Jerry23dr

• Deku Scrub
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2013, 08:28:19 PM »
Pillar falls if you use Tornado rod inside  :-\

Offline doommaker

• Special Guay
  • The DoomJump....The most hated name of all time.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/doommaker10000
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2013, 08:36:58 PM »
Pillar falls if you use Tornado rod inside  :-\

Just clipping inside makes it fall. ._.

I should have done more testing but the timing for the glitch was awkward and it took a long time to do...

Oh well,back to searching.

p.s Thanks for the idea.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 08:40:47 PM by doommaker »

Offline CloudMax

• Site Editor
  • Mega Guay
    • CloudModding
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2013, 06:45:03 AM »
Guys, I just think I found a way to skip the Desert Palace. I can't confirm that it works since I tried it on a file that had already beat the dungeon.
You get to the boss area without going to the dungeon at all.
You use portal clip on the portal in Lorule that is directly below the Boss Area.
To do the clip you shield push one of the enemies that throw spears all the way to the portal and make sure that it is positioned properly. Then you walk straight into the enemy to gain invicibility, walk up against the portal, use the Tornado Rod, when you land, use Pegasus Boots as you clip. You will gain enough momentum in the air to land in the boss area instead of falling OoB.

The ability to shield push enemies and use invicibility to get perfect positioning should allow us to clip in any area with an enemy big enough.

Edit: I tested it.
You can reach the area.
By reaching the blue platform in the upper section of the area you can activate the quicksand. You can also simply use the tornado rod when standing down in the sand.
However, the boss is stuck in the pre-battle state. Can't get the actual fight to trigger (which normally is done by walking down the ledge at the entrance I believe?).
If the fight can actually be triggered, of if we can kill the boss without starting the fight, we'll be able to skip the dungeon.
If you get gameover in the area you can respawn at the dungeon entrance.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 08:05:12 AM by CloudMax »

Offline SweetJohnnyCage

• Deku Scrub
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2013, 06:56:35 AM »
Similar to the Tornado Rod key shortcut in House of Gales, you can snatch it with the Boomerang while standing at the top of the stairs. Might be a bit faster than walking down and risk missing the key. Safe strat?

Offline ZFG

• Mega Guay
  • also pheenoh <3
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2013, 07:30:29 AM »
Guys, I just think I found a way to skip the Desert Palace. I can't confirm that it works since I tried it on a file that had already beat the dungeon.
You get to the boss area without going to the dungeon at all.
You use portal clip on the portal in Lorule that is directly below the Boss Area.
To do the clip you shield push one of the enemies that throw spears all the way to the portal and make sure that it is positioned properly. Then you walk straight into the enemy to gain invicibility, walk up against the portal, use the Tornado Rod, when you land, use Pegasus Boots as you clip. You will gain enough momentum in the air to land in the boss area instead of falling OoB.

The ability to shield push enemies and use invicibility to get perfect positioning should allow us to clip in any area with an enemy big enough.
Greenalink found this yesterday but the boss doesn't load correctly.  If you can find a way to enter and exit the room before the boss from there, it would probably skip the whole dungeon but that seems unlikely.

I do have a similar idea for skull woods skip though.  If you can clip into the tower with the portal in skull woods then use tornado rod to pop out on the top, you might be able to just walk on the upper ledge straight to the painting.  Unfortunately there's very few enemies to work with there but I'm hoping someone else will play around with this and possibly get somewhere.

Similar to the Tornado Rod key shortcut in House of Gales, you can snatch it with the Boomerang while standing at the top of the stairs. Might be a bit faster than walking down and risk missing the key. Safe strat?
This also works with the hookshot which is probably the better item choice since it's actually useful in more than one place.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 07:32:27 AM by ZFG »

Offline CloudMax

• Site Editor
  • Mega Guay
    • CloudModding
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2013, 08:32:03 AM »
Greenalink found this yesterday but the boss doesn't load correctly.  If you can find a way to enter and exit the room before the boss from there, it would probably skip the whole dungeon but that seems unlikely.

I do have a similar idea for skull woods skip though.  If you can clip into the tower with the portal in skull woods then use tornado rod to pop out on the top, you might be able to just walk on the upper ledge straight to the painting.  Unfortunately there's very few enemies to work with there but I'm hoping someone else will play around with this and possibly get somewhere.
This also works with the hookshot which is probably the better item choice since it's actually useful in more than one place.

Ahh, I didn't notice his post about it because it was barely mentioned. And I was so hyped when I did that clip the first time, heh.
I also tried some in skull woods. I doubt it is possible, unless I am utterly unlucky, or it is extremely precise. Every time I try to clip using the Snap Dragons that're there, I get pushed left or right. Could be because of the route surface, and the fact that the enemies are smaller (I believe?).

Has anyone managed to clip with any of these stone pillars? would most likely be easier to try with some big enemies first to see if it actually works.

Offline Greenalink

• Special Guay
  • DS Dictator
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2013, 03:36:28 PM »
USELESS sequence break, early Desert Palace boss area,  Now with a video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ6zsrIZU9U&feature=youtu.be

Also I managed to go OoB to the right side of Lorule Castle's entrance. The method is a bit different as it involves clipping into the blue web(?) and then performing a dash to bounce back and land on top of the bridge part.
More info:

Notable runs:
Phantom Hourglass
SM64 DS

Offline CloudMax

• Site Editor
  • Mega Guay
    • CloudModding
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2013, 03:44:37 PM »
USELESS sequence break, early Desert Palace boss area,  Now with a video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ6zsrIZU9U&feature=youtu.be

Also I managed to go OoB to the right side of Lorule Castle's entrance. The method is a bit different as it involves clipping into the blue web(?) and then performing a dash to bounce back and land on top of the bridge part.

This is useless indeed.
I *rediscovered* the trick this morning. However, did you try dying in the boss area?
You can choose to respawn at the dungeon entrance. (surprising considering that you're still able to fly away when in the boss area)

Which means that it is possible to enter the Desert Palace without the Sand Rod, which I find very interesting.
You just get the Scroll to walk on the wall to the southwest portal without the rod, then do the portal clip into the boss area, kill yourself, and respawn at dungeon entrance.

This is the only way to reach the dungeon entrance, and get to the save point without beating Thieves'.

Offline Volvagia

• Regular Guay
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2013, 10:34:37 PM »
FaschZ found this earlier;

Boot Slide (Pegasus Momentum Glitch):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja8326UW_xI&feature=youtu.be

hoping it'll work for somewhere in ice palace at the moment

Offline CloudMax

• Site Editor
  • Mega Guay
    • CloudModding
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2013, 03:55:25 AM »
FaschZ found this earlier;

Boot Slide (Pegasus Momentum Glitch):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja8326UW_xI&feature=youtu.be

hoping it'll work for somewhere in ice palace at the moment
There is a faster way to do this (though the path I take use what's seen in the video above)

From the top, take the normal path to the 3rd platform.
As soon as you get to the 3rd platform, walk to it's bottom edge and charge to the right. A platform will be moving north and you can land on it.
If you do this right after entering the cave the platforms will by synched on the very first cycle, so you do not have to wait around. You do not need to slide, you keep momentum on this platform.
Note that the platforms start moving when you first step on one after entering the cave. so after activating them, you have to exit the entire cave to get the correct cycle. If you just re-enter the room they'll still be moving.
When you reach your 4th platform, wait for it to move south. When it's done moving, start charging and activate the slide to keep momentum. You'll land on the very last platform just before the exit. Even if you were to land right on top of a keese (which has happened to me), you should not get pushed off the platform.
This way you stand on a total of 5 platforms (that last one being right at the exit, you just walk off of it), and only need to stand and wait once on one platform for about  2-3 seconds.

This is the fastest path that I know. there may be some diagonal movement that ends up saving more time, but I haven't found one yet.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 04:06:02 AM by CloudMax »

Offline Volvagia

• Regular Guay
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2013, 05:58:47 AM »
I'm aware of that... but the point of Faschz's video isn't the fact he saves time in the lava tile room but the slide itself.

You keep all your momentum which is an oversight by Nintendo, we can use this to get across void's were not supposed to. Normally when charging, you only go across the distance of one tile... Providing Link has height above whatever it is he's trying to land on, you can slide and make the distance without the game forcing you to lose momentum when you go off an edge.

A use for this, and it's so close to working, but the angle is stupidly tight it seems - Ice Palace switch press: In the room where you get the boss key in ice palace if you slide off the platform and go for the switch when the platform is raising you come stupidly close to landing on the switch... If you hit that switch you'll skip pretty much the entire Ice Palace if you can land there. It's stuff like this that the slide is useful for...

However if the platforms are in sync for the slide in the lava tile room for the first entrance, I'm guessing the slide is actually faster than the tile skip... someone should time this...
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 09:59:13 AM by Volvagia »

Offline CloudMax

• Site Editor
  • Mega Guay
    • CloudModding
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2013, 06:42:20 AM »
A use for this, and it's so close to working, but the angle is stupidly tight it seems - Ice Palace switch press: In the room where you get the boss key in ice palace if you slide off the platform and go for the switch when the platform is raising you come stupidly close to landing on the switch... If you hit that switch you'll skip pretty much the entire Ice Palace if you can land there. It's stuff like this that the slide is useful for...
I spent a lot of time in the Ice Palace the other day trying to do that as well.
There are a number of times where you can get very close to reaching locations early with Pegasus Boots.
In the Main Room of B1 you can almost reach the upper section of the room by using pegasus boots from the platforms.
When the block in this same room is removed, you can almost reach the Left Upper Section of B2.
If any of these were possible you could save a lot of time in the dungeon.
And like you mentioned, in B4 you can almost reach the switch that's down to the right.
There was another location where a floor platform is removed where you can almost pegasus boots to a location early, can't remember where it was though.

It's annoying how close it is to working in so many locations.

Edit:
It is possible to clip into portals with smaller enemies. At least it is possible with chuchus, the ones I tried it with.
And I were running around with pegasus boots today and Link ran straight thru an acute angle. It's located directly south of the vacant house, all the way at the bottom by a cliff edge. Link will be able to pass thru it like 50% of the times.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 09:12:12 AM by CloudMax »

Offline Greenalink

• Special Guay
  • DS Dictator
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2013, 01:12:38 PM »
Had another idea of skipping Desert Palace but it looks like natural based terrain functions a little differently than man made terrain (think houses and mosaic pillars)
It's not possible to go OoB, use tornado rod and then pop up & land on top of the natural terrain.

More info:

Notable runs:
Phantom Hourglass
SM64 DS

Offline CloudMax

• Site Editor
  • Mega Guay
    • CloudModding
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2013, 02:06:17 PM »
Had another idea of skipping Desert Palace but it looks like natural based terrain functions a little differently than man made terrain (think houses and mosaic pillars)
It's not possible to go OoB, use tornado rod and then pop up & land on top of the natural terrain.

Yeah, for some reason the Tornado Rod doesn't actually go high enough to reach the next cliff level, unlike buildings. I can't see any noticable difference in the height, but I guess there's a small difference.
Also, even though that didn't work, it was pretty damn clever to attempt going to the boss area from the north to get to the top of the boss room. I spent a long time trying to think of something, and never thought about coming from the area in the north.

Would be interesting if we actually managed to get up on an OoB cliff to see how the game handles screen transitions and such in cases like these.

Offline Vortex

• Regular Guay
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2013, 03:52:54 PM »
I've been tinkering about at the beginning of the game to see if I can manage to skip the cutscenes showing Gulley running around. I've discovered what seems to be useless.

When running with an object (a pot or shrub, haven't tried bombs yet) into a corner, throwing the object forces Link to move back. Kind of like a bomb explosion moving you back. I've only just found it out tonight, and I'm almost 100% positive it's useless.

Has anyone else experienced this? Can anyone else do some testing? I've barely finished the game, and I've a lot of school work to do. Can anyone else see if this will allow us to clip through things?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 06:48:13 PM by Vortex »
"Uh, Max? I don't think we're getting out of this cave." - Arin, Game Grumps