Editing Guidelines and Tips

(1/3) > >>

mzxrules:
Some simple stuff.

Pages are written in Markdown. You can find out what Markdown is at http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/.
http://dillinger.io/ has an excellent real time Markdown editor for getting a feel for the syntax.

Guidelines
Don't delete older tricks
There are too many reasons to list them all, but one of the biggest reasons is that having a variety of ways to complete a task will make it easier for a novice to get into speedrunning a game.

Move more relevant tricks toward the top of a page
If a new trick comes out that runners are more likely to use in speedruns, bingos, etc. list it first.

Always use short, descriptive headings; Do not number sections
If you're listing all the possible tricks/strategies to complete some task, do not start every heading with "Method 1...", "Method 2..." etc, or worse, simply refer to a trick as being "Method 1", "Method 2" etc. There absolutely no need for this, it looks terrible in the Navigation menu, and it needlessly makes it more difficult to re-arrange things. If you find a page that does this, fix it.

Use headings appropriately
Always start off at the ## or <h2> heading level when starting a topic (ex. Explaining a challenge), moving up to ### or <h3> and #### or <h4> when discussing a more specific aspect of the topic (ex. ### for a specific trick, #### for different variations on a specific trick)Do not use the # or <h1> heading level.The ###### or <h6> header is used for giving credit to a source for a trick or informationDo not use ## or <h2> tags just because you want a header to appear in the Navigation menu. That way if we ever improve the Navigation menu, we won't have to correct pages
Do not add To Do's to pages
Especially uncommented ones. If you want something done to a page but can't do it yourself, post about it in this sub-forum and maybe someone will help.

Capitalization Guidelines

Capitalize the name of tricks, npcs, items, places. Standard capitalization for N64 buttons:

A button, B button, C buttons, Z/L button, R button,
C-Up, C-Right, C-Down, C-Left, D-Pad, Joystick

Pedalpowertoast:
The preview function seems to be broken for me, i'm on iPad so i'm not sure if it works on computer or something :|

mzxrules:
It's broken atm.

nathanisbored:
I was going to modify the Ocarina Items page to include bombs OI, so should I have one heading for "Bottle Method" and one for "Bomb Method" or what? I don't want to be too presumptuous, so I'm just asking first.

mzxrules:
The bottle setup and bombs setup would each be their own H2 level headers. How I'd do it would be

##Description

##Bottle Setup

##Bombs Setup

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page