ZSR Forums
April 18, 2024, 10:43:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Temp B  (Read 6080 times)
CloudMax
Site Editor
Mega Guay

« on: July 03, 2013, 05:58:57 PM »

I found this page the other day: http://zeldaspeedruns.com/oot/ba/minigame-items-on-b and decided to research it further in OoT3D and see if there were any key differences and these are the result I've come up with so far:
I'll replace the Saving/Dying page with a temp B page eventually. Hopefully this will help people understand things better.
I still haven't looked into things like Lon Lon Stick (how things behave when you haven't equipped a sword yet)

Basically temp B is a temporary value stored in the memory so that the game knows which item to return to your B button after doing things which will replace the B button.
The same place in the memory is also used to decide whether or not your B button is grayed out, disabling it.
The game is set up so that it will return the value of temp B to your B button when specific events occur, if you have any item except for a sword on B. This leads to some interesting behavior which can be useful at times, but it can also be an obstacle.
There are also a bunch of things which will set the B button to 0 (Deku Stick), and others that will set it to FF/255 (Blank)

Storing B on temp B
   a) Borrow Fishing Rod
   b) Ride a Horse
   c) Start Shooting Gallery
   d) Start Bombchu Bowling

Setting temp B to Deku Stick (00h/0d)
   a) Gray out the B button and highlight it again
   b) Load a File
   c) RBA

Setting temp B to Blank (FFh/255d)
   a) Gray out the B button
   b) Return Fishing Rod
   c) Finish Shooting Gallery
   d) Finish Bombchu Bowling

Retrieve temp B
   a) Save with any item except a sword on B
   b) Die with any item except a sword on B
      This will also set Temp B to Deku Stick (00h/0d)
   c) Enter Fishing Pond with Fishing Rod on B
   d) Create a new File (NG+)
      Can't retrieve Deku Stick (00h/0d)

Notes:
To escape the Shooting Gallery you have to use Restricted Items with Iron/Hover boots to get hit by a bomb during it. (Or have a timer expire warp during it)
To steal the fishing rod you have to use Restricted Items with Iron/Hover boots to get hit by a bomb while fishing, or warp out with Farore's Wind / timer expire warp.
The only way to escape the Shooting Gallery or steal the fishing rod as a child is by using Inventory Overstuffing to equip Iron/Hover boots.
Bombchu Bowling is only available after entering DC blue warp, making it impossible to store Temp B with it in an any% run.
Bombchu Bowling & Horse Riding are the only 2 methods which allows you to keep temp B that doesn't require iron/hover boots. This means that you can play through the game and save freely as long as you do not gray out the B button.
Fishing & Horse Riding are the only two methods where you can save during it. This means that you can use the Fishing method without Iron/Hover Boots, but you can't keep temp B when you leave the area.

Examples:

1. Start Bombchu Bowling with Kokiri Sword on B and exit building
2. Exit Game
3. Create new File
The new file will have Kokiri Sword on B
You can keep creating NG+ files as it doesn't clear temp B

1. Get Fishing Rod on B
2. Turn into child
3. Start Bombchu Bowling and exit building
4. Turn into adult
5. Save
You'll get Kokiri Sword on B as an adult

1. Get Bottle on B
2. Escape Archery
3. Save
You'll still have bottle on B
You can keep saving the game and keep the item until you gray out the B button

1. Get Bottle on B
2. Ride on Epona
3. Die
You'll still have bottle on B
However, temp B has been set to 00h/0d (Deku Stick), so you can't save/die without reverting the B item to a deku stick

1. Start Bombchu Bowling and exit building on a NewGame+ file
2. Save Game
You'll still have the NG+ item on B
You can keep saving the game and keep the item until you gray out the B button
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 05:44:15 PM by CloudMax » Logged

gamestabled
Site Editor
Special Guay

B e t A Q u e S t

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 06:22:27 PM »

This is really cool stuff. Do you think you could somehow make a ng+ file that can save warp and keep its item?

when i grow up, i wanna be just like taylortotftw
CloudMax
Site Editor
Mega Guay

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 11:37:17 PM »

This is really cool stuff. Do you think you could somehow make a ng+ file that can save warp and keep its item?

Well, it is possible, but limited. You have to do it either at the fishing pond, or you could store your NG+ item on Temp B by starting Bombchu Bowling and leaving the building.
After you leave during the bombchu bowling, you can savewarp and keep the b item as long as you do not gray out the B button, which is caused by hanging on ledges (climbing up on them instantly will gray out the button), climbing vines/ladders, swimming, and possibly more.
I think that's the best we'll get.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: