ZSR Forums
April 19, 2024, 10:02:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Legend of Zelda: Voyager of Time (Romhack)  (Read 66337 times)
giadrosich
Deku Scrub

Email
« on: April 29, 2013, 01:55:09 AM »

Teaser Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itQNYSa110U
Trailer 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FQLwMbW5_s
Finalized Release: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OTWHJVGz4I
How to patch guide: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0EkGWwrYnM
French Version Download: TBA
Deku Tree Preview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv9cEMeuCYU

This is a new romhack for OOT Master Quest that I've been working on for a good solid four months. This hack mainly concentrates on storyline and route changing, to make a fresh new way to enjoy OOT.

This is going to be released May 1st! It will be patched for debug MQ rom.

Official GCN Website: http://voyageroftime.the-gcn.com
Secondary website: http://lionofjudah6.wix.com/zeldavoyageroftime
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/VoyagerOfTime

About the Mod:

Voyager of Time takes place after Majora's Mask, but it is not a direct sequel. Link has come back to the Kokiri Forest to try​ and find peace after his last adventure. It is implied that he has had a third adventure in Termina but with the fairy Tael instead of Tatl. The younger brother of the feisty Tatl is a bit more subdued, but also more brave than what we've seen in Majora's Mask. He can hold his own and he and Link have grown to be great friends.

The game starts out with Link having nightmares of his past adventures. The Deku Tree Sprout, descendant of the Great Deku Tree has summoned Link because he has sensed great evil growing lately. Link is sent on a quest to help out with the growing problems in Hyrule.

Along the way, you find that the Door of Time has been broken again by the evil villain, Ganondorf, and you must find a way to stop his rampage once more. There's some twists and turns along the way, as Link's items are spread out in an unfamiliar way. Link also has to face some major problems that hit a little too close to home.

The game features heavy time travel as well as side stories that highlight the problems with time traveling in general. Many places are transformed over the period of seven years that Ganondorf was in rule, and Link has to deal with the problems​ of his closest friends. On top of that, there may be another problem Link and his friends don't realize until it's too late...

The overworld is changed quite a lot from the original Ocarina of Time. There is an attempt to make each village and section of the map seem more lively and have more character than ever before. NPCs are useful to talk to, and they give hints to the world around you. There are small stories they tell you of history, and even new sidequests you can accept.

The biggest change is the difference between the child and adult sections. The child sections are meant to feel more innocent and alive, and the adult sections are meant to showcase the utter destruction of Ganondorf. This is not to be intentionally dark, but just to show a realistic change that would happen over seven years.

Technical side of things:

I don't have any sort of skills with modding the actual maps, and I have basic skills in actor replacement (using ZAP2/SayakaGL). I use OOT Text Tool and XVI32 heavily for this mod. Almost everything text-wise will be changed, gossip stones, signs, anything you can think of. It'll be really fun to go through and see the new changes if you know the regular OOT text by heart.

This really is an experiment to see how much one can change in a rom with very basic beginner knowledge (to prove that we can make a good mod to the best of our abilities), and also try and make it a good mod without falling onto the beginner trap of making it "kaizo zelda". I've gotten a lot of help from the GCN community in general, and the mod wouldn't be what it is today without the help of the fine talent on there. This mod isn't really going for challenging battles or anything like that--It's going for more puzzle and story-based gameplay.

There will be very minor edits to the dungeons, but most of the edit to the game will be the route you take. It's a very different route from what you might be used to, so you'll be sure to use your thinking cap on where to go! I'm hoping to take the familiar and turn it into something new and fresh again for people who've played the same old OOT for years and years.

Screenshots:

What to Expect:
  • New storyline
  • New sidequests and sidestories about NPCS (and NPCs are more helpful with hints)
  • Huge emphasis on time travel (I mean it!)
  • Actual use of money in the story
  • Dungeon order will be different (and perhaps new puzzles here and there--nothing too major)
  • Massive overworld update with more lively "enivironments"
  • New way of getting Epona!
  • Certain items not restricted to just child/adult!
  • Custom music in some places
  • Tael joins you instead of Navi

To Speedrunners:

My hope is that someone takes this game and speedruns it. I'd love to see something new.

I've attempted to put in some anti-sequence breaking into this mod. I'm always excited to see what new stuff folks can find, so I'd like to officially challenge people to speedrun this game.

I'll go ahead and let you know that the game now checks for all six medallions, but there might be a few surprises in there that you don't know about. I really would love to see a new route out of this. I'd like something without BA or RBA just to showcase the new route.

If you find new breaks, post 'em! I'd like to see a way to get past the stuff I've put up, that's what OOT running is all about--finding those new tricks!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 04:48:01 AM by giadrosich » Logged
Pheenoh
Site Editor
Special Guay

Locked in cafde's basement

Email
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 08:34:08 AM »

Thanks for posting about this. Smiley I've been following this somewhat on your youtube, will definitely check out the final product when it is finished.

<yashichidsf> tompa should default be a mod on everything related to srl
<yashichidsf> while i'm not a big fan of modding bots, i think tompa is really well programmed
Kimimaru
Regular Guay

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 06:29:20 PM »

What to Expect:
  • New storyline
  • New sidequests and sidestories about NPCS (and NPCs are more helpful with hints)
  • Huge emphasis on time travel (I mean it!)
  • Actual use of money in the story
  • Dungeon order will be different (and perhaps new puzzles here and there--nothing too major)
  • Massive overworld update with more lively "enivironments"
  • New way of getting Epona!
  • Certain items not restricted to just child/adult!
  • Custom music in some places
  • Tael joins you instead of Navi

Those are some of the things I've wanted in the original OOT! Nice job; I'll be sure to check this out when it's released!
Pedalpowertoast
Site Editor
Mega Guay

I'm an artist :O

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 07:52:24 PM »

Dont tell me you have to travel all the way to the Temple of time repeatedly...at least give some warp song.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Pedalpowerluigi

Using a slow version on purpose is your choice, but you will get no sympathy or agreement from me.
Lol
giadrosich
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 04:16:58 AM »

Dont tell me you have to travel all the way to the Temple of time repeatedly...at least give some warp song.

Unfortunately, due to the way the game is coded, you can't get Prelude of Light until after Forest Temple. BUT, save/warp still exists, of course. Wink

I hope everyone enjoys it, I'm looking forward to feedback for it! ^_^
lilkcough1
Regular Guay

thanks to vosva for the pic

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 08:04:03 PM »

I'd love to see this.  I can't wait for tomorrow!
Jeville
Special Guay

"special"

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 02:56:34 AM »

Unfortunately, due to the way the game is coded, you can't get Prelude of Light until after Forest Temple. BUT, save/warp still exists, of course. Wink

I hope everyone enjoys it, I'm looking forward to feedback for it! ^_^
You could have made Prelude of Light to be already learned at least, unless you made Sheik say anything you deem too important when she teaches it. Does it make her disappear from the ToT earlier than you'd like?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 03:00:44 AM by Jeville » Logged
giadrosich
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 03:04:01 AM »

You could have made Prelude of Light to be already learned at least, unless you made Sheik say anything you deem too important when she teaches it. Does it make her disappear from the ToT earlier than you'd like?

Prelude of Light is known by getting Forest Medallion, that's what we determined from what I remember. Due to the way the route works (and it'll make sense when you see it), prelude can't be learned before forest, and I didn't want the song to be known from the start of the game.

If Link is an adult, then you can just save/quit. But if you're a kid, I can understand the annoyance, but I can't control this.

If you don't want to play for that reason, it's okay. Wink

Now's not a good time to say you don't learn Serenade of Water, eh?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 03:15:04 AM by giadrosich » Logged
Jeville
Special Guay

"special"

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 03:22:38 AM »

Prelude of Light is known by getting Forest Medallion, that's what we determined from what I remember. Due to the way the route works (and it'll make sense when you see it), prelude can't be learned before forest, and I didn't want the song to be known from the start of the game.

If Link is an adult, then you can just save/quit. But if you're a kid, I can understand the annoyance, but I can't control this.

If you don't want to play for that reason, it's okay. Wink
I understood the requirement for the Forest Medallion in normal gameplay, I was thinking it can be hacked for us to already have it without the need to learn. We can't exploit using the song before Ocarina until we have a bottle, and I'm assuming we will not get one sooner in Kokiri Forest in this hack so I don't see the harm to know it in the beginning of the game. If we can access the ToT as soon as we leave the forest, about the same time for the first bottle, it's not really game-breaking. Then there's the save/quit for adult you're not worried about.

I will still play this hack, no worries. Smiley

Now's not a good time to say you don't learn Serenade of Water, eh?
Hm? It's about the ToT as you made a big emphasis on time travel. Unless you're making a Voyager of Fishing hack for repeated visits to the lake (where the only way to get bombchus is to catch a Hylian Loach), I don't think it would be needed. Whenever you need to go to the lake three times in the original, the game pretty much takes you there directly in all three cases.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 04:44:28 AM by Jeville » Logged
giadrosich
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 04:45:25 AM »

Midnight release!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OTWHJVGz4I
giadrosich
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 05:32:42 AM »

I understood the requirement for the Forest Medallion in normal gameplay, I was thinking it can be hacked for us to already have it without the need to learn. We can't exploit using the song before Ocarina until we have a bottle, and I'm assuming we will not get one sooner in Kokiri Forest in this hack so I don't see the harm to know it in the beginning of the game. If we can access the ToT as soon as we leave the forest, about the same time for the first bottle, it's not really game-breaking. Then there's the save/quit for adult you're not worried about.

I will still play this hack, no worries. Smiley
Hm? It's about the ToT as you made a big emphasis on time travel. Unless you're making a Voyager of Fishing hack for repeated visits to the lake (where the only way to get bombchus is to catch a Hylian Loach), I don't think it would be needed. Whenever you need to go to the lake three times in the original, the game pretty much takes you there directly in all three cases.

Yeah, Shiek is there for story purposes, so in regards to normal players, I wanted him there. Sorry >.< Hopefully it won't be too annoying.
Hornlitz
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 11:58:50 PM »

I was playing through this, and I was wondering, are glitches required to beat this? Cause the guy blocking the forest says "why don't you use tael to leave the forest?", which leads me to believe I need to use aquascape...

Also, the guard to the right when entering kakariko has a speech glitch. The text he says doesn't all fit in his textbox.
giadrosich
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 12:02:01 AM »

I was playing through this, and I was wondering, are glitches required to beat this? Cause the guy blocking the forest says "why don't you use tael to leave the forest?", which leads me to believe I need to use aquascape...

Also, the guard to the right when entering kakariko has a speech glitch. The text he says doesn't all fit in his textbox.

No, no glitches are required, I just have references to existing glitches as a little easter egg. I thought it would be fun.

Thank you, it's those sort of things I usually miss. One day I'll put out a patch with fixed dialogue and all that jazz.
lilkcough1
Regular Guay

thanks to vosva for the pic

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 01:51:47 AM »

I've played for about an hour tonight, and I really like this romhack.  The only thing I wish is that I could play with an actual controller, but that's nothing to do with your amazing rom.  That's just because I'm broke and don't know where to get usb controllers.  Either way, I just beat the deku tree, and I'm hooked.  It seems really awesome.
giadrosich
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 02:33:18 AM »

Glad you are enjoying it!

I hope the route is interesting enough--I know after playing same ol' OOT it gets a bit boring knowing where to go next.

Thanks for downloading and playing it, btw. Smiley It's nice to know people enjoy it after all the work gone into it.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: