ZSR Forums
March 28, 2024, 03:05:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Zelda II racing on Saturday!  (Read 8018 times)
PresJPolk
Deku Scrub

WWW Email
« on: October 16, 2012, 08:48:20 PM »

Hi all,

On the heels of the Ludendi races over the weekend, I'm trying to see how many people I can get together this weekend to play some Zelda II.

Saturday, 3pm eastern.

Category (or categories) will depend  on what people want.  I think the two main options are Any % warpless without OOB/Healer skips, and 100% Extreme Rules.

Any % Warpless has the benefit of being the most contested category, due in part to the huge amount of skill required to do it properly (which means no candle, hammer before Palace 1, and even now the Life skip is on the table).

Extreme Rules has the benefit of being more accessible to casual runners.  It's still a hard game, but you can at least get Shield, Candle, and Life without running a terrible route.

Is there any interest in this?
Nook
Special Guay

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 12:50:56 AM »

I would like to, any% warpless sounds fun. I should tell you this is a site that has a vast majority of 3D Zelda players, so the response may not be huge.

mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 01:07:24 AM »

^ That may be so, but we need all the 2d Zelda players we can get.

I'm interested, but I'm not familiar with the categories... or the tricks.

Quote from:  Leigh Rogers
Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.
PresJPolk
Deku Scrub

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 05:11:48 AM »

I would like to, any% warpless sounds fun. I should tell you this is a site that has a vast majority of 3D Zelda players, so the response may not be huge.

I am aware of that, however I've been told there's interest in expanding so... I figured I'd give it a shot. Smiley

^ That may be so, but we need all the 2d Zelda players we can get.

I'm interested, but I'm not familiar with the categories... or the tricks.

Basically, Extreme rules gets everything (all heart containers, all magic containers, every permanent item, every spell, and does not use fairy to fly through doors, so you have to get every key until you get the Magic Key).  Edit: also it disallows rapid pausing to manipulate random encounters.

Any% warpless is the toughie. It's the one where you get only what you need to win. Current WR run skips the Shield, Life, and Fire spells, the Candle, the Cross, and uses Fairy to get through doors extensively. It even goes the route of getting Hammer and Fairy first, so that it can even Fairy through Palace 1.  It's *hard*.  I mean, the game's just hard anyway, but this category, routed correctly, is so very, very hard. Edit 2: The 'warpless' bit means no Up-A, and no death warps.

However currently this category isn't doing the Healer glitch or the Thunderbird skip.  That's all new tech and changes the game so much it's probably going to be in its own category.

I'm thinking if we get a bunch of new people to Zelda 2 running, the 100% Extreme Rules category is much more interesting for less experienced runners.  But we shall see.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 05:23:37 AM by PresJPolk » Logged
PresJPolk
Deku Scrub

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 01:57:19 PM »

Alright, let's meet up on IRC Saturday, anyone who wants to do this.  If someone makes an SRL race that's fine, but I know not everyone can do SRL, so I'm just going to be in the #bagu channel come Saturday (Actually I'm there now, but will ALSO be there Saturday Smiley )

And I'm going to encourage people to run Extreme Rules, just making a decision, unless there's some real pushback against that.  It's a nice step up to Zelda 2 speed running I think.
mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 05:23:30 PM »

Edit: also it disallows rapid pausing to manipulate random encounters.

What's that about?

Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.
PresJPolk
Deku Scrub

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 05:47:55 PM »

On the overworld map there are certain squares that have fixed monster encounters.

However if you fun into a *random* encounter as you are walking onto a fixed encounter, you will take the random encounter instead.  This can be much easier, especially if the fixed encounter is on a road square, in which case the random encounter will be a single empty screen.

Extreme Rules prohibits rapidly pausing and unpausing in order to make sure you hit the random encounter perfectly.

Also, if you pause enough, you can create a 'slow motion' effect for *avoiding* random encounters.
mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 07:29:32 AM »

Oh, I thought there might have been a way to manipulate what mobs spawn on the overworld or something.

Also, that's a pretty lame rule.

Braid
PresJPolk
Deku Scrub

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 05:14:38 PM »

It kinda is.  It's a category from Twin Galaxies, and that's how you can really tell it. Smiley

However it's something the Swedes have been running a lot, and so it makes sense just to keep the category consistent.
PresJPolk
Deku Scrub

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 06:17:26 PM »

It's on in 45 minutes guys. #bagu on the IRC.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: