ZSR Forums
April 24, 2024, 03:46:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: [IRC] RBABot and Navi general thread  (Read 10687 times)
adzicents
Deku Scrub

Email
« on: November 15, 2009, 08:01:41 AM »

TODO LIST:
Install TCL on the ZSR server to allow Eggdrop to be installed. (This will be somewhat problematic if it cannot be accomplished)
Recode RBABot from the MRC scripting language into the TCL scripting language.
Recode Navi from the PERL scripting language into the TCL scripting language.
Combine RBABot and Navi into a single client which will probably be named Navi and be the general channel bot.
Add features to Navi such as forum post updating like TASVideoAgent on #TASVideos

~ ORIGINAL POST ~
I'm back after an absence leave to see everything in tatters. I've taken RBABot back from MrSparkle and am working on getting it uploaded to the ZSR server as an Eggdrop. This means that it'll almost always be online, unless the server goes down. It also means it'll be faster and easier to manage (on everyone's part), but it means I'll have to recode the entire bot from MRC to TCL.

Once all that is done and out of the way I'll start adding things like RSS Feed scripts, search scripts and link scripts to make RBABot much more useful and friendly. I'll edit this topic as I get things done and use this as a primary discussion topic for bug reports, suggestions etc.

Right now thought, just stay tuned and post any bug reports or suggestions you have with the current version of RBABot!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 12:46:03 PM by adzicents » Logged
MrSparkle
Regular Guay

Hair Dye

linktetraww
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 08:19:56 AM »

Although it really has calmed down now? What about restricting quote adding to half ops and higher? You have already heard about the big demand for a delquote command...

I'll get Paraxade to post his thoughts, his Peroxide bot is tight!

May get a recorder at year's end...
adzicents
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 08:23:16 AM »

There's plenty I'd like to do with it. The first thing I want to get done first is re-code it and get it hosted up on the Eggdrop. That'll make things much easier in the long run.
mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 08:34:36 AM »

Although it really has calmed down now? What about restricting quote adding to half ops and higher? You have already heard about the big demand for a delquote command...

I'll get Paraxade to post his thoughts, his Peroxide bot is tight!

Making quote adding half-ops and higher would kill all the fun of quoting people, because we'd have to beg you guys to add quotes. Instead, have halfop+ be the only ones who can delquote, and everyone be able to add quotes with a few restrictions to prevent bot attacks/idiots from spamming new quotes (for example, something like each person can only add 3 quotes a day, and the whole channel cannot add more than 3-4 quotes every 10-15 minutes)

Quote from:  Leigh Rogers
Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.
adzicents
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 10:32:19 AM »

Okay, no luck installing TCL, Cosmo will have to contact Dreamhosters and ask them to install it on the server for me before I can get Eggdrop working. In the meantime, I'll start re-coding RBABot in TCL instead of MRC and maybe start integrating Navi's RSS into it.
AniMeowzerz
Special Guay

Meow, and... stuff.

AniMeowzerz@hotmail.com AniMeowzerz
Email
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 05:32:11 PM »

Making quote adding half-ops and higher would kill all the fun of quoting people, because we'd have to beg you guys to add quotes. Instead, have halfop+ be the only ones who can delquote, and everyone be able to add quotes with a few restrictions to prevent bot attacks/idiots from spamming new quotes (for example, something like each person can only add 3 quotes a day, and the whole channel cannot add more than 3-4 quotes every 10-15 minutes)
Well instead of that, even though this is probably not possible knowing my luck, but why not allow people to do addquote, but the ops/hops have to approve them before they're actually added into the quote system.
So basically, you have 2 different areas. .addquote from a regular user gets sent into a queue list. Then a hop/op can .addquote and it'll go into the normal system, as well as when they addquote from the chat and not the queue.

Anyhow, it'll be nice to have rbabot functioning properly, so can't wait :]

RBA stands for Rare Bird Adventure. We call it that because we need to get the blue cucco in order to use it.
Maxx
Admin
Special Guay

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 07:54:53 AM »

Re: Navi the bot

For any of our coders / admins, I thought I should document how to start and stop Navi.

SSH to zeldaspeedruns.com with the correct login credentials, then from the shell type:
Code:
screen -rd
This will drop you into a different shell where Navi runs.  If Navi is running, hit Ctrl-C to kill the script.  If Navi is not running, type:
Code:
./navibot.pl
to start the script.

Once you're done, the easiest way to leave the second shell is to just close your SSH client.

Also, any sort of merging between Navi and RBABot is fine with me.  I'm kind of fond of Navi's Zelda quirks and catchphrases, but having one bot makes more sense than two.  I doubt RBABot will be ported to Perl anytime soon, though, so porting Navi to TCL would probably be less work.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 07:56:54 AM by Maxx » Logged
adzicents
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 12:42:50 PM »

I've finished editing Navi bot and it now displays the first 60 characters of the latest news post. There are a few problems with it at the moment and I'll need to work them out, but it currently displays along the lines of the following:

[23:36:40] <+Navi> Listen! New OoT news from Cosmo! "Newcomer ingx24 joins the IL Leaderboard in 11th place overa..."
[23:36:40] <+Navi> Read the full story at http://www.zeldaspeedruns.com/site/index.php?game=oot
Blizzerk
Special Guay

What is this I don't even-

Blizzerk@live.com
WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 11:28:00 PM »

I have some stray .mrc files that grab socket info from ZSR. since RBABot won't be coded in it anymore, i guess it's useless. I have some more codes and such if anyone's interested.

Also, Wouldn't combining the bots be beneficial? Multiple bots adds confusion :S

[21:02:55] <Blizz> Uhh...
[21:02:59] <Blizz> RingRush..
[21:03:06] <Blizz> I was meaning to ask you something
[21:03:13] <RingRush> no I will not go to prom with you
[21:03:16] <Blizz> :<
------------------
<@jiano> get off my lawn you damn kids
Maxx
Admin
Special Guay

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 08:49:18 PM »

Code:
[biggs]$ ./navibot.pl

Yikes! One of your processes (navibot.pl, pid 4873) was just killed because it
has been running for over a week. If you believe you've received this message
in error, please contact Support.

Killed

Well apparently dreamhost doesn't like us running bots constantly on their machines.  Anybody think of a clever workaround or know a good alternative location?
Blizzerk
Special Guay

Blizzerk@live.com
WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 09:03:38 PM »

Code:
[biggs]$ ./navibot.pl

Yikes! One of your processes (navibot.pl, pid 4873) was just killed because it
has been running for over a week. If you believe you've received this message
in error, please contact Support.

Killed

Well apparently dreamhost doesn't like us running bots constantly on their machines.  Anybody think of a clever workaround or know a good alternative location?

we could host it elsewhere, like free hosting? say... 110mb.com, no-ip.org offers hosting IIRC, we just gotta find a place that doesn't care...

------------------
adzicents
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2009, 04:56:19 AM »

we could host it elsewhere, like free hosting? say... 110mb.com, no-ip.org offers hosting IIRC, we just gotta find a place that doesn't care...

Hahaha, no. You can get a cheap linux server with TCL installed for something like $2 a month as far as I know.
Blizzerk
Special Guay

Blizzerk@live.com
WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2009, 02:00:29 AM »

Blah, after Christmas I will have my own linux server (maybe one that isn't a fire hazard with no fans? :3 ) and you guys can mooch off my server space/bandwidth for free.

incase it doesn't work out, $2 is very reasonable, I have only seen as low as about $3.95 Sad

------------------
TSDA
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2009, 06:05:03 AM »

adzicents, tell your dog to stop laughing at me.  Sad
So how's the progress with this?
Maxx
Admin
Special Guay

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009, 07:33:28 AM »

Quick update, I changed Navi to strip HTML out the news before she announces it to the channel, but I haven't tested it.  Looks like it'll work, but I guess we'll see whenever something new shows up in the news.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: