ZSR Forums
March 28, 2024, 11:14:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Single Segment W/O Resets Attempts  (Read 8545 times)
Blackrazgriz
Deku Scrub

Email
« on: July 05, 2012, 11:25:04 AM »

Hey guys, Blackrazgriz here.

I'm a aspiring speedrunner currently working on Skyward Sword and Link's Awakening. My primary focus is Skyward Sword, though. Right now, I am working on getting the Single Segment w/o resets WR (since not a lot of people, if any) are working towards that goal.

I wanted to make a clear and coherent definition for that category before I commence with the attempts. First, I am thinking that SS SS w/o resets should be similar to TP SS w/o resets. That means that there is no save and quit, and there are no death warps. Just curious, but do death warps count as a reset? Would the definition of a reset be any action that leads to the title screen and/or the file select screen? If that's the case, death warping in SS would not be considered resetting, but I may be basing my judgment on other notions.

Secondly, what kinda glitches should I incorporate into the run? Obviously, BiT is a no go, because it requires a reset. But tricks like Cube Warp and Early Lake Floria could be used, since they do not require resetting. Are there any glitches I should be aware of before I begin this?

Thanks a lot for any and all support. And I look forward to making this category a possibility ^_^
Abahbob
Site Editor
Special Guay

I make videos of games that are done very fast.

Email
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 10:16:56 PM »

Well, Single-Segment allows deathwarps, just no resets or anything. Since there is no single-segment route, this sounds similar to a normal playthrough. I don't know if anyone has done a Single-Segment run in a long time. I would suggest looking at old runs, like way back, and then adding in newer glitches and such. Good luck!
Blackrazgriz
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 09:18:57 PM »

Yesterday, I completed a Glitchless run for Skyward Sword. I got a record of 10 hours 21 minutes and 4 seconds with definite room for improvement.
Paraxade
Special Guay

paraxade@hotmail.com
Email
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 02:57:42 PM »

There's no deathless category; an SS without resets run would have to take advantage of both. The only reason no one uses deaths in TP is because they aren't useful in TP. The only thing you can't do is reset the game and go back to the title screen. You'll want to check out my old 6:23 test run from back in December/January since it was done before BiT was discovered and therefore doesn't use resets. You can probably also pick up a few strats from my 5:39 run too, since it's a lot more recent and single-segment, though it uses resets. The main glitches/shortcuts I can think of that aren't in the 5:39 are (all of these are in the 6:23):

- Various small tricks and slingshot shots in Skyview (segments 6/7)
- Eldin shortcut (segment 10)
- Huge Lanayru Desert sequence break (segment 17)
- Teleporting Scrapper halfway up the mountain (segment 50)
- Deathwarp to skip saving the Mogma in Fire Sanctuary (segment 53)

Soo yeah. Use those tricks, my 5:39 should be a good reference since it contains more recent stuff and safer strats and my 6:23 should be a good reference for the parts the 5:39 skips. The 6:23 is segmented, but it was also a huge rush job, and slightly outdated (though admittedly not as much for a no resets run), so you should be able to get fairly close to it. Good luck.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 02:59:35 PM by Paraxade » Logged
Blackrazgriz
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 06:08:57 PM »

Dude, I was trying to check out your 5:39 run but some prick turned off my internet T_T  In any case, I'll definitely check out both those runs so that I can formulate a great Single Segment W/o resets route. And thanks for giving me things I should look out for ^_^
Blackrazgriz
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 06:42:53 PM »

8:18:18 is my current record for SS SS. My goal is to beat Parax's BiTless record of 8:10
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: