ZSR Forums
April 19, 2024, 11:16:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Streaming equipment  (Read 12259 times)
Pottoww
Deku Scrub

Mostly called "Forsa".

« on: July 03, 2012, 02:36:33 PM »

So, I have been searching for equipment to start streaming. But I need to be sure that what I buy is worth the money. Therefore, I now ask you guys for help (I am pretty sure some of you have an idea of what is the best to buy).

I need hardware and software and I will be streaming on Twitch (perhaps also on SRL depending on if I get there somehow). I would like to be able to:
- Stream live in high quality from my console with both sound and video.
- Be able to talk during my stream.
- Check my current video quality (does it lag or something?).
- Put a timer on so the viewers can see it.
- Create splits (and ofc split during the run) and be able to put my record up to beat during the next streams and see improvements in time (time lost/won and so on).

That's what I think is the most important. If other possibilities comes along besides, that is just wonderful.

So far I am heading to buy a HD PVR. Beside that, I have no idea. I will (in particular) be streaming from my Wii-console.

So, give me some advise, thank you. Do not think about the cost, just write down some nice stuff not depending on the money. Wink
Pedalpowertoast
Site Editor
Mega Guay

I'm an artist :O

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 04:12:15 PM »

An important thing to get is Xsplit, if youre on mac you have to find an alternative.
Not sure if Hd pvr is worth it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Pedalpowerluigi

Using a slow version on purpose is your choice, but you will get no sympathy or agreement from me.
Lol
gamestabled
Site Editor
Special Guay

B e t A Q u e S t

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 05:13:52 PM »

Once you are streaming on Twitch, you can .setstream in #speedrunslive so that when you are streaming it automatically shows up on the streams page. A lot of people go with capture cards like dazzle that are cheaper but you sacrifice some quality. HD PVR has a reputation for being much better quality but much more expensive. If you have a webcam on your computer then commentating is no problem, or you can use a mic. Xsplit can pick your voice up, it is also the most common program to stream with (you use it to stream to your Twitch/Justin)

On your Twitch dashboard you can see a preview of your stream. This is also where you can change your title, game, and see your chat. For your timer and splits you can use a program called WSplit.
The downloads for XSplit and WSplit can be found on SRL's tools page. They are both free and simple to use.

I think I covered all the hardware and software you need to meet your requirements.

when i grow up, i wanna be just like taylortotftw
bluephantom340
Special Guay

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 05:28:40 PM »

I have an HD PVR and have used it for streaming but the only problem is that you will need to use the screen region option to capture the HD PVR image from the Arcsoft software and it has delay which can make your voice and game footage be out of sync. I recommend getting the HD PVR gaming edition, since apparently it doesn't have that delay. An alternative to the screen region option, you can start the software (Totalmedia extreme capture module) and use game source in xsplit with it (Add game -> capturemodule.exe). However this method only works if you have a licensed xsplit.
The timer that the majority use is WSplit: http://www.mediafire.com/?llxj7i54wuxgi
A really good microphone would be the Blue Snowball: http://bombch.us/Tz
I heard that xsplit has a problem with blue snowball but others say they haven't had a problem so I'd investigate before you buy it.

[13:57] <Kaztalek> Give me a week and I guarentee I will be a top 10 MM player.
[18:34:23] <ingx24> i suck at mm
http://www.youtube.com/user/ayumuhd
Norkix
Special Guay

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 09:32:36 AM »

I'm looking for streaming equipment as well. But my stuff needs to be cheap. I saw an EasyCap on amazon.com for about $10, is that decent quality despite its price?
Also, when you are streaming, do you have the console linked to your TV and computer (in which case I'd also need an AV splitter, right?), or can you just play the game on your computer with no TV?

11:17 <Cosmo>: It's hard to tell what ASAP means with todays sequence breaks
Pottoww
Deku Scrub

Mostly called "Forsa".

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 04:07:03 PM »

An important thing to get is Xsplit, if youre on mac you have to find an alternative.
Not sure if Hd pvr is worth it.
Elaborate, please. Why isn't it worth it? What can I buy instead?

It would be wonderful knowing what equipment Cosmo, Samura1man, Pheenoh, Parax, Woodahs and those who is in to this stuff use for their streams.

Well I know about Xsplit. I downloaded that one earlier but all I got was the timer. I didn't find any way to get splits to work. Do I need any basic software besides for this equipment to work as it should?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 04:08:38 PM by Pottoww » Logged
TimpZ
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 05:54:52 PM »

You don't have to buy an HDPVR if you're going to stream from a Wii anyways since its native resolution is 480p or something like that. A Dazzle (which I know Cosmo use, since you were interested) is like half the price and same quality for streaming purposes.

Xsplit is a program for streaming. An alternative is FMLE. You should check both out.

Wsplit is a timer program that utilises "splits". Pretty much everyone except Siglemic uses it :p.

Why does adult Link have an earring?
Quote from: CinnabonChan
Because Rauru's a pervert. Leave a priest alone with a young boy in a seven year coma, who gradually grows into a handsome young man?

Yeah, that will end well. I'm pretty sure Rauru has a stack of kinky outfits he dressed Link in
bluephantom340
Special Guay

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 07:09:46 PM »

Elaborate, please. Why isn't it worth it? What can I buy instead?

It would be wonderful knowing what equipment Cosmo, Samura1man, Pheenoh, Parax, Woodahs and those who is in to this stuff use for their streams.

Well I know about Xsplit. I downloaded that one earlier but all I got was the timer. I didn't find any way to get splits to work. Do I need any basic software besides for this equipment to work as it should?
When you open WSplit right click on it and press New/Edit and you will be able to enter your splits.
Also the HD PVR and AVermedia HD DVR/Live Gamer HD can use 480p for the Wii. Easycaps and Dazzles are 480i and the quality is slightly lower.

Pottoww
Deku Scrub

Mostly called "Forsa".

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 12:09:14 AM »

Yeah, I understand the Wsplit software now, except I don't know how to get the images visible (I have put images on every split but they does not show up).

I live in Sweden, so I would like some help to get a nearby and a correct Dazzle. After some searching at Google it seems to me there's a lot of different "Dazzles".

- Wsplit (I have the free software, is there a version that costs?)
- Dazzle (Prize?)
- Alternative mic: Blue Snowball (74.95$ (~550 crowns))

What else?

I don't get what Xsplit is? It is not a software comparable with Wsplit? Introduce me to this a little better, please. I guess it is some kind of soft ware witch I need to just so I will be able to stream live?

- Stream live in high quality from my console with both sound and video. [Check with Dazzle]
- Be able to talk during my stream. [Check with Blue Snowball (for alternative)]
- Check my current video quality (does it lag or something?). [Is this possible directly on the site(s)?]
- Put a timer on so the viewers can see it. [Check with Wsplit]
- Create splits (and ofc split during the run) and be able to put my record up to beat during the next streams and see improvements in time (time lost/won and so on). [Check with Wsplit]
bluephantom340
Special Guay

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 05:04:05 AM »

To activate the icons right click on WSplit, and click configure, then Icons and it should give you a dropdown menu.

darkeye14
Regular Guay

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 09:46:33 AM »

This is XSplit:

You can capture footage from both a capture card and your computer screen (using XSplit's built in screen-capture). You can also drag-and-drop the footage into whatever layout you want; in this example, I put a screen-capture of my emulator next to a screen-capture of WSplit's timer. You can broadcast this layout to your channel easily (just hit "Broadcast", then select the channel). In short, it's a simple and easy-to-understand program that allows you to set up your stream's layout and get it to your channel.

XSplit is technically free, but if you use the free version, your framerate is capped at 25 FPS, and your audio is forced to be mono and encoded with the lower-quality Speex codec. You can buy 3, 12, or 36 month licenses in both the "Premium" and "Personal" variety, which will allow you to stream with an uncapped framerate and will allow you to stream in stereo with a higher-quality audio codec. "Premium" users are the only users "allowed" to make money off their streams, but I have no idea how they enforce it. Since you're not American, I won't even bother looking up the prices of the licenses, since knowing how American companies typically handle European customers, it will cost you far more than it costs me.

There are alternatives to XSplit. One is Adobe Flash Media Encoder, which is free. However, it's kind of annoying to set up, especially if you want a timer on the screen with your video. You often need to rely on an external program to do that for you. There's also Wirecast, which is really expensive. I've never used it myself, but twitch says it's good, so I'll include it.

Oh, and if you're streaming from a Wii, HD PVR is kind of an overkill. Cosmo and I use a Dazzle DVC 100, which provides good audio and visual performance at an affordable price. Now, if you're streaming 360/PS3 games alongside the Wii, feel free to splurge on the PVR. The only reason I see to choose the PVR over the Dazzle if you're streaming exclusively Wii games is that the PVR has undoubtedly better widescreen support (the Dazzle has exactly none).

[18:38] <Sigless> darkeye is cute too

[18:45] <aleckermit> We get a free pack of cheetos with every vote too Smiley
[18:46] <bluemarth> in the uk we keep our foreskin
Norkix
Special Guay

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 02:16:11 AM »

Is EasyCap decent quality despite its price? Do I need anything in addition to it? Does a webcam mic work as a microphone? I might be getting a computer soon, so I could stream... Also, can you play the games on the computer without a TV? One last thing, I think you have to sign up for XSplit, does that cost money?

If everything works out, I might be more active in the community, joining races and such.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 02:18:08 AM by Norkix » Logged

11:17 <Cosmo>: It's hard to tell what ASAP means with todays sequence breaks
Pedalpowertoast
Site Editor
Mega Guay

I'm an artist :O

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 06:43:45 AM »

Lol kix's a noob.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRCbXjyePIc
Heres a video done with easycap. Getting good quality like this takes time with settings (cropping, sound etc.)
You need a few splitters and RCA cables.
Be careful with easycap, there have been fakes such as easycap DC60++ and some have different chipsets inside. I suggest you buy a Ezcap 116 instead. Do some research yourself, like if your computer works with it or not.
As for Xsplit
XSplit is technically free, but if you use the free version, your framerate is capped at 25 FPS, and your audio is forced to be mono and encoded with the lower-quality Speex codec. You can buy 3, 12, or 36 month licenses in both the "Premium" and "Personal" variety, which will allow you to stream with an uncapped framerate and will allow you to stream in stereo with a higher-quality audio codec. "Premium" users are the only users "allowed" to make money off their streams, but I have no idea how they enforce it. Since you're not American, I won't even bother looking up the prices of the licenses, since knowing how American companies typically handle European customers, it will cost you far more than it costs me.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 06:56:22 AM by Pedalpowertoast » Logged

http://www.youtube.com/user/Pedalpowerluigi

Using a slow version on purpose is your choice, but you will get no sympathy or agreement from me.
Lol
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: