ZSR Forums
April 19, 2024, 03:42:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Timing for streams.  (Read 6942 times)
Suddo
Deku Scrub

Email
« on: June 19, 2012, 05:43:28 PM »

So I personally was used to the definitions set for by speed demos archive for how timing a run should work and the categories it states. The two categories being: Segments, where you save at certain spots and reload the game to try either hard tricks or just break up the run. And single segment, where you never reload the game. The segmented run was the faster one but that was as to be expected as they got to try harder tricks.

Now I was watching one of Cosmo's Wind Waker runs and he got to the point where he has to do a storage glitch on forest water to trick into the cabana. He reloaded the game several times. He also did several save warps before this point. Both of these would remove this run from being considered a single segment run, but he kept calculating the time for his mistakes which is something you wouldn't do in a segmented run.

Now my questions are: Is it just personal preference to time a run from the time you sit down to the time you finish (saves and resets and all)? Is streaming a run and calculating the time as a whole cause for a different timing category? I mean Cosmo's personal best, and I believe the WR, is 6:32 (or was before that run) but if he simply removed that part of the run (by segmenting it) he'd easily be under 6:30.

I hope I worded that well.
Norkix
Special Guay

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 06:04:16 PM »

Savewarps are allowed in SS I'm pretty sure. I watched a few of the Awesome Games Done Quick and the guy who did Shadow of the Colossus reset a few times on certain colossi. Plus there's the savewarp in OoT any%.

I dunno, you probably shouldn't listen to me. I do OoT3D and no one appreciates that, so... yeah.

11:17 <Cosmo>: It's hard to tell what ASAP means with todays sequence breaks
Nook
Special Guay

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 06:13:15 PM »

If there are resets and savewarps included in the time it's considered a Real Time Attack (RTA), which is just a single segment run. Same timing as how Cosmo's or anybody's stream works, and it's been around forever. SDA is weird about their rules, real weird.

Single Segment is a lot more normal to do than Segmented, at least with the games we play on ZSR.

Abahbob
Site Editor
Special Guay

I make videos of games that are done very fast.

Email
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 06:16:50 PM »

I believe that Single Segments technically can't reset. RTA can.
Suddo
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 01:54:41 AM »

If there are resets and savewarps included in the time it's considered a Real Time Attack (RTA), which is just a single segment run.
I personally like the way SDA runs it but I can see for streams it being useful to be able to I just wanted to know if there was a name for it, which I have just now found out.

Also @Norkix: During Awesome Games Done Quick the runs aren't really single segment as you could die which often results in a reload (sometimes it doesn't its kind of weird). The Shadow of Colossus was more of a Individual Level run than a Single Segment.
Nook
Special Guay

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 02:17:05 AM »

It's not just streams, Ocarina of Time Any% resets it too, for an example

ING-X
Site Editor
Mega Guay

fuck you and the horse you rode in on

562243965 marikthechao@hotmail.com ingx24
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 02:18:28 AM »

Single Segment with Resets (or RTA as it is more commonly known) is basically single segment except you can use savewarps. It is gradually being accepted as a category on SDA along with the already existing single segment and segmented categories. One thing that ZSR runners do that SDA doesn't do (which I don't agree with - I think the SDA timing methods should have just stayed in place for the sake of consistency) is start timing at file select ("ZSR timing") or from power on ("RTA timing") instead of from first character control ("SDA timing"). Oddly enough anything after last character control is not counted in any of these timing methods.

<complex> byan you're doing that thing again
<complex> the thing where everything you say is fucking retarded

<ethandude> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexual cheak this out luxury it might come in helpful when u wright your resime
Suddo
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 08:53:42 AM »

Single Segment with Resets (or RTA as it is more commonly known) is basically single segment except you can use savewarps. It is gradually being accepted as a category on SDA along with the already existing single segment and segmented categories. One thing that ZSR runners do that SDA doesn't do (which I don't agree with - I think the SDA timing methods should have just stayed in place for the sake of consistency) is start timing at file select ("ZSR timing") or from power on ("RTA timing") instead of from first character control ("SDA timing"). Oddly enough anything after last character control is not counted in any of these timing methods.

Oh man that's just silly.

@TomNook: Yes the OoT any% run has resets which makes it fall under the category of segmented any% (or how I thought of true any%).
gamestabled
Site Editor
Special Guay

B e t A Q u e S t

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 08:21:08 PM »

Timing from file select is clearly the best in any game that has control over text (oot, ww, etc), skiping cutscenes (tp) or the like before the first character control.

Mostly oot any% is done "single-segment with resets" or RTA.

when i grow up, i wanna be just like taylortotftw
Nook
Special Guay

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 09:17:46 PM »

Segmented = True Any%  Huh

Maxx
Admin
Special Guay

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 08:23:02 PM »

The question has pretty much been answered, but yeah, most people who stream do RTA runs, which is single segment with savewarps and resets allowed. The ZSR Leaderboards (http://zeldaspeedruns.com/leaderboards) track RTA times, so savewarping and stuff is allowed there. Ing is right about when the timing starts for each thing. Some people will do true single segment, especially if they plan on submitting it to SDA under that category, but it's getting less and less common.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: