ZSR Forums
March 28, 2024, 10:08:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Amateur Race  (Read 30127 times)
Norkix
Special Guay

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2012, 02:27:18 AM »

I now have MM on VC, so I can join as well. However, I still only have OoT for N64, and my buddy recently reacquired that from me to play SM64, so... If it's OoT I can't race.

Maybe we could race something that doesn't really have a lot of exploitable glitches and sequence breaks, like Minish Cap. We could do like a race to the first element or something.

If we end up going with MM, I think we should do something short, like a 10 mask race or bingo.

11:17 <Cosmo>: It's hard to tell what ASAP means with todays sequence breaks
Hornlitz
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2012, 04:26:15 AM »

I've never played Minish Cap, so I would have to get it for an emulator, and I would prefer doing something on a console (mainly because if we're doing this race on SRL, I would need to stream if were on an emulator, but I wouldn't on a console). But I'd be okay with MM, OoT, TP, or SS.
Implicit
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2012, 01:40:32 PM »

I've never played Minish Cap, so I would have to get it for an emulator, and I would prefer doing something on a console (mainly because if we're doing this race on SRL, I would need to stream if were on an emulator, but I wouldn't on a console). But I'd be okay with MM, OoT, TP, or SS.

I could do Minish Cap, I have an emulator on my Wii and a cap card to stream with, although it wouldn't be fair to you. I've never attempted a glitch in TP, and I hate SS, Norkix can't play OoT so I think we should just do Majora's Mask. It does have many glitches, but I am horrible at conserving explosives, especially considering I can barely ISG anymore with input lag, so I won't be getting anything under three hours with all the trips to the bomb shop I'll have to make DX We could also try Bingo  Undecided

Quote from: doommaker
LOL^ I need to set up my n64 again...cant find a controller though....but I might join you guys (of course I suck at MM so I probably wont xD)
You should join anyway, I need someone else who is going to fail badly XD
Hornlitz
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2012, 02:27:49 PM »

You should join anyway, I need someone else who is going to fail badly XD

Lol that's me who would be failing miserably. Tongue

Also, can someone explain the rules of this 'Bingo' race? I've never done/watched one before, so I don't knoe :/
Pedalpowertoast
Site Editor
Mega Guay

I'm an artist :O

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2012, 02:50:29 PM »

In a bingo race there is a 5 x 5 grid with things like get three maps, get ocarina, get a medallion etc. So what you have to do is choose a grid and complete all the requirements. Theres a vid somewhere in youtube demonstrating how this works.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Pedalpowerluigi

Using a slow version on purpose is your choice, but you will get no sympathy or agreement from me.
Lol
Hornlitz
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2012, 10:41:43 PM »

Alright thanks Tongue

I'd be okay with a Bingo race or something like that, as long as it doesn't take me more than 3.5 hours.

Also, what time should this be done? For me, Sunday might be better, because my family doesn't usually want me to have homework for Sundays, but I still should be able to do Saturday as well. On either day, somewhere around 1:30/2:00 PM Mountain Time would be good for me. No earlier than that would work for Sunday, but Saturday I can try to be flexible if that doesn't work for others.
Implicit
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2012, 04:58:39 AM »

I have no idea how to convert Eastern Time into Mountain Time o.O but I would probably prefer Saturday, considering I can stay up later without worrying about being too tired at school. I'd like to do either an any% or a Bingo run, although Bingo can take even longer than an any% depending on the card you get. Would you be able to generate a few a pick one that is challenging (for us n00bs) but not going to take too long? I'd prefer it if you can get one with a boss battle in it, just since they're so fun to fight XD
Norkix
Special Guay

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2012, 09:49:12 AM »

One does not simply choose the bingo card...

I'm pretty sure that you tell RaceBot it's a bingo and it chooses a seed at random. Personally, I'm not sure we should do bingo because it requires obscure route planning in MM. Of course, that may just be me being selfish Grin

Anyway, I was thinking we could do an idea I've had for a while. You start with a new file and proceed to get all three transformation masks as fast as possible. The route for this is pretty obvious, so it would really test your basic MM speedrunning skills like superslides and hovering.

I'd like Saturday, and I believe that 2 PM MT is 4 PM EST, which should work out for me as long as my homework is done, lol.

I won't be able to stream. I hope that won't be a problem if I win (and I'm not saying I will). I know you get challenged if your time is suspect, and my Blaziken isn't... wait, wrong game...

Anyway, has this type of thing been done before and there's a record? I don't want my first race to be challenged...

gamestabled
Site Editor
Special Guay

B e t A Q u e S t

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2012, 07:11:05 PM »

Just trying to throw this out here... OOT and MM bingo races happen multiple times a day. They are very noob-friendly because you can choose your own row to avoid things you dont know too well. Chances are that at any time you get in Speedrunslive there will be an OOT or MM bingo race happening, and if not just ask and somebody will probably be up for it. Its super casual and friendly!

Here's an example OOT Bingo card: http://speedrunslive.com/tools/oot-bingo/?seed=389296 The rules are all on the right! Also, dont count on breaking 2 hours on your first bingo, and at first I would suggest looking for things you know how to do reliably rather than things that are fast but you arent sure you can do.

when i grow up, i wanna be just like taylortotftw
Implicit
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2012, 07:37:50 PM »

I kind of like the idea of racing to get the first three transformation masks, sounds fairly easy and would not take long at all. Perhaps we could do that and Bingo?
Norkix
Special Guay

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2012, 07:53:35 PM »

I may not have time for both, but I can try. And thanks for clarifying on the bingo, stabled.

Hornlitz
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2012, 10:20:33 PM »

I think the 3 masks thing is a good idea, and I'd probably be up for a bingo after the 3 masks too if we were doing both. (And if I have time, which I should)
Norkix
Special Guay

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2012, 10:32:43 PM »

Okay, so what's everyone playing on? I'm on VC. If anyone is on N64, should VC people give them like a 15-second head start? Especially since this is a n00b race... Of course if that just isn't done, more power to the N64 players if they win! Because I'm quite sure the lag will make a difference in the mask race. Probably not the bingo though...

Hornlitz
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2012, 02:02:02 AM »

I'm on VC. And is everyone good for Saturday at 2PM MT/4PM EST?
Implicit
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2012, 02:25:19 AM »

I'm also on VC, I think I'm good for that time. I'm kind of wondering what route to use although I don't think it matters much.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: