ZSR Forums
March 28, 2024, 08:45:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Any% Race - Spring Break  (Read 12732 times)
TestRunner
Regular Guay

Skyward Sword Editor

« on: March 04, 2012, 06:35:18 AM »

I was wondering if people wanted to do another big any% race. I was thinking about Sunday, March 18th. I'd rather to do it during the week, but I wasn't sure if everyone was on break during the week of the 18th. Any thoughts/takers?

EDIT: Seems like the race will be on Sunday 18th, 10AM EST.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 02:02:30 PM by TestRunner » Logged

<Triforce3250> You're my hero mode
Kazooie
Special Guay

Oot 3DS!!!!

Kazooiebombchu
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 11:29:29 AM »

I would like to race SS sometimes but I lack of skills with this game. There is are much better players of SS than me. Joining any% race would fun though.

My stream and youtube channel. Be sure to check them out and leave comments. Have fun!!!
http://www.twitch.tv/kazooiebombchu
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=Kazooie
Currently working on: DKC3 105% segmented speedrun and racing games
Hornlitz
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 01:01:51 AM »

Hmmm... I might like to, especially seeing as I have spring break, but I have a question...
Would I have to record this at all? Even for something like a skype call or something similar? And does it need to be good quality? Because if so, I can't do it. Yet. If quality doesn't matter though, then I may be able to.

TestRunner
Regular Guay

Skyward Sword Editor

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 01:14:43 AM »

Hmm, something has come up on that weekend. I'll either have to have the race at like 5pm EST on Sunday, or do it during the week, such as Monday 10am EST. What times/days will people be around?

Hornlitz: If it is possible, you should be stream your game footage. If you don't have a means, it is not required. Usually, no one makes a proof-check, but every once in a while there is an uncertainty in the validity. So be prepared to show some sort of proof, such a picture or recording. Streaming is obviously preferable.

FYI, This is on Hero Mode, if that was not clear.

Since the Skyward Sword page still isn't on the front page, I'll post it here for those who don't know about it. http://www.zeldaspeedruns.com/SS. It's still being edited (especially the route), but it's good to be aware of some of the tricks.

If you didn't know, the race will of course take place on SpeedRunsLive.

Hornlitz
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 01:56:31 AM »

No... I don't have any means of streaming my gameplay...
But I could do a picture of the completed file or a video showing the end or something like that. Not that anyone would challenge my time. I'll probably get last place anyways.

Also, would BiT be allowed?

And just to make sure, it's single segmented, right?
TriforceBrawl3250
Deku Scrub

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 02:43:54 AM »

Since Spring Break varies from school to school I don't find it reliable to have it on a weekday personally

The earlier we can start in the day, the better.

Saturday/Sunday 10 AM EST would probably be best for me, and I'm still up in the air.

However, this race is a great idea.

You can't spell devotion without OoT.
TestRunner
Regular Guay

Skyward Sword Editor

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 02:55:27 AM »

When the race starts, there will be a randomly generated filename. Use that name. If proof is needed, show a picture of that your file with the Triforce completion symbol and with the correct filename.

This is a RTA (Real time attack). You are timed by real time, not the in-game timer. You are allowed save and quit. You may also use multiple files too (ie a Corrupt File) as long as all the files used are created during the race. That way, the time to create the files is counted towards your race time.

Yes BiT is allowed, but of course not required. Because BiT loads information from other files, you may not have any other files with data on it. So all three of your files will start initially as either New Adventure files or New Hero Mode files.

Personally I use:
File 1) New Hero Mode <-- I play on this file
File 2) New Adventure <-- I will Corrupt this File
File 3) New Hero Mode <-- Used for a later run
But any combination of New Hero Mode and New Adventure files is ok.

If you are unsure how to copy New Hero Mode files, check: http://www.zeldaspeedruns.com/ss/misc/opening-empty-files.

TriforceBrawl: I will try to move my plans, that I can do the race at 10am on the Sunday. Friday and Saturday are completely out for me.

Abahbob
Site Editor
Special Guay

I make videos of games that are done very fast.

Email
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 02:09:34 AM »

Sunday? Reallllllly? But I have school the next day. GAHHH. I'll put in a maybe for that. My parents hate me doing long races
TestRunner
Regular Guay

Skyward Sword Editor

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 06:02:59 AM »

Please check out the rules page (subject to change)
http://www.zeldaspeedruns.com/ss/speedruns/rules

And a route (also subject to change)
http://www.zeldaspeedruns.com/ss/routes/any-rta
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 06:18:18 AM by TestRunner » Logged

UchihaSasuke
Special Guay

move over Chidori, time to spam infinite Susano'o

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 08:24:57 AM »

i read the route and i didn't understand some parts so i look forward to watching the race to get more knowledge on the game.

"Patience is useful in any moment"

Youtube Account 1
Youtube Account 2
TestRunner
Regular Guay

Skyward Sword Editor

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 01:59:47 PM »

I'm might try to fix up the route to make it more understandable. Then again, it assumes you know how to do most major glitches like BiT. Feel free to make your own route.

Just make sure to NOT skip the sail cloth!!!! If you do, you will not be able to finish the game!!!

Btw, because there were no objections, I'm going to solidify the time of 10am EST for Sunday the 18th.

EDIT: Dang, I just realized this is DST time. If you are not in the USA, keep in mind the hour shift. For reference, this is 2PM GMT.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 02:06:45 PM by TestRunner » Logged

mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 04:51:43 PM »

Timing ends:

• Beat the Game: When you land the final blow on Demise
  • Get the Harp: Upon entering the loading zone for the Temple of Time
  • Get 500 Rupees: When your inventory first reads reads 500 rupees
  • Get 8 hearts: When the 8th heart appears on your HUD

You can't fence in the rulesets of 4 different categories like that without explaining that they are in fact different categories.

Also, JPN is an hour faster?

Quote from:  Leigh Rogers
Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.
TestRunner
Regular Guay

Skyward Sword Editor

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 08:03:24 PM »

Not sure what you mean. I guess you want me to explicitly state that these are timings for four different goals/categories? Or do you want me to just leave only "Beat the Game"? If you think the points when timing ends are inappropriate, I'd be happy to consider changing them.

And yes, JPN is about an hour faster. It's not because there are fewer characters, it's because the text moves significantly faster. I would rather do this in JPN because of reduced trivial time, but obtaining SS-J is fairly difficult. So I don't expect everyone to be able to get a hold of a copy.

gamestabled
Site Editor
Special Guay

B e t A Q u e S t

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 07:08:55 PM »

So it turns out I will not be able to join on sunday testrunner. But I am still practicing and I wanna start racing harp and stuff with you guys pretty soon if I can!

when i grow up, i wanna be just like taylortotftw
TheOthin
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 09:41:21 PM »

And yes, JPN is about an hour faster. It's not because there are fewer characters, it's because the text moves significantly faster.
Same as in Golden Sun. Interesting.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: